SASS Wire Forum

Government Money

This is pretty cool. An interactive map of the USA so you see how much of the income anywhere comes from the government.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/02/12/us/entitlement-map.html?ref=us

This is pretty cool. An interactive map of the USA so you see how much of the income anywhere comes from the government.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/02/12/us/entitlement-map.html?ref=us

Comes from TAXPAYERS!

Comes from TAXPAYERS!

Well, yeah, man! But think about what it really is...it's your Social Security; it's your disabled neighbor's SSI; it's your elderly aunt's Medicare; it's the vet's benefits for the Gulf warrior down the street.

We all seem to have a problem with what THEY are getting from us - until THEY are identified...and guess what...THEY are US.

If we want to complain about these kinds of payments, we have to be prepared for the consequences of cutting them. I'm not saying that there is no waste or fraud...but I am saying that there is a personal and social cost for wholesale condemnation of a system that provides safety and support for the weak, the sick and the deserving.

Given our present economic predicament, we are going to have to face the burden of this system; how we handle it will define us as a civilization for years to come.

LL

Given our present economic predicament, we are going to have to face the burden of this system; how we handle it will define us as a civilization for years to come.

LL

If we continue on our present path, as a civilization we are going to come to a tragic end.

The present system is unsustainable, and woe to the politician who attempts to reform it. When you have some areas where almost 50% of the population gets some sort of money from the government, and a candidate for public office comes along and says "I have a plan to fix this mess" you know the opposition is going to paint them as an uncaring brute who wants to have children starve and to roll grandma in her wheelchair over a cliff.

People always vote their own self interest, and to hell with anything else. The politician who says "Vote for me and I'll give you this and that" is guaranteed a win. Look at 2008 - the promise of free stuff is what got us into the current mess. A fluffed up pillow for a deck chair while the Titanic sinks.

The barn is full of rats, and what we need is a big mean tomcat to clean them out.

Archived