SASS Wire Forum

The disturbing numbers!

I was just trying to figger out how to attend a couple "big shoots", and ran some numbers (not my strong forte), and arrived at a disturbing decision.

I figgered thusly: Entry fee for one shooter (me) $135.00 (seems to be the norm nowdays), The distance to the shoot, 125 mi for two days = 250 miles. My truck gets 17 MPG, that adds up to around 15 gal at $3.99 gal (Diesel)= around $60.00 for fuel. We're now around $195.00 for the shoot, not counting lunch etc. If you shoot in my speed catagory (60 sec stage) you are paying 19.50 a stage to shoot or 195.00 for 5-6 MINUTES of shooting for two days (10 stages). Pretty rich, I thinks.

The shoot says it's limited to 400 shooters (and they say it will fill up), that adds up to $54,000. Now I know some families get a break, so the amount will be slightly lower, but this is still a lotta' gold.

You say, well you get a "Banquet" ticket. BFD!! Most of those meals are marginal, at best. (MHO)

Anyway, MY monthly income is $1029.00 a MONTH from SS. Out of this I must pay my family expenses, and I see NO way to continue to patronize these high priced events where I go in knowing I don't stand a snowballs chance in He** of winning anything. I, and many others are just there as "filler" for the hotdogs.

I will miss seeing many pards that have the gold to continue on.

All the above is MHO, and reflects on no one or any particular event or sponsors.

A great day to all.

Al

The costs to attend the big events is pricey no doubt. I have to get a hotel room as I don't travel with folks who have access to trailers and/or other accomodations. Sorry, a tent is out of the question as I need to take a shower everyday. Unless of course I was camping in the desert for 3-5 days like I used to do. I figure it costs me around $700 - and that's DOES include the match fee (which is sent in a few months ahead of time).

Some go to matches together sharing gas, housing, and other expenses....hopefully I can get to know folks more as I get more involved and take that route - but they would have to offer as I ain't gonna impose.

I just try to do what I can do - being a salesguy my income is not fixed and my paychecks can be 'feast or famine'...

and taking care of my family is utmost priority - but now they want to shoot :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

And you didn't even include cost of ammo.

Food for tought. If you get a traveling buddy all your travel expenses are cut in half. I could not do what we do without my traveling pard.

McKenzie

And you didn't even include cost of ammo.

Your right - the $ that I revealed doesn't include the ammo...don't tell my wife :lol: She thinks I 'grow' cartridges....:P

I have to agree, shootin' ain't cheap..

But, CAS is supposed to be about having fun..I like to regard going to a big shoot as a vacation, a way to relax and get away from the realities and aggravation of day-to-day living and working for a few days. I go with no illusions of walking away with the top gun award, as I don't have the time it takes (practicing) to compete with the top shooters..Plus I'm afraid if I spent all my spare time practicing just to compete at the top gun level, it would begin to feel like a job and take away from the fun.

Other than the match fees, I would still be spending my bucks on motel rooms, food, ect. just like any other vacation..Sure, if one adds up the number of shooters times match fees it would appear someone's making a killing, but one also has to take into account range fees, insurance, and other expenses for the folks putting on the shoot..Not to mention the problems, both anticipated and unforseen, encountered preparing for, during, and after a shoot..I have been involved in putting on an annual shoot at the local club level, and can only imagine what it would be like on a state or higher level match.

But again, it's supposed to be about having fun, and I can have as much fun at a shoot as I can doing something like going to the beach for a few days..And it will wind up costing close to the same either way..Of course, times are tough right now for everyone, and it sure don't help when one is on a fixed income..There may come a time in the near future when I may have to give up vacations of any sort, but right now I prefer shootin' to getting sunburned on a crowded beach..Heck, at EOT last year I got to shoot a Gatling gun,ride a stage coach, and watch a great Wild West show, all while dressed in 19th century Cowboy duds and wearing six shooters! Can't do that at the beach.. :lol::D

Cost to go and shoot at a major match = Cha Ching!!

Camaraderie = Priceless!!

...and that there is what makes it ALL worth every penny! :)

Tell me about it! :blush: Just returned from Tombstone where I shot

a couple of matches including High Noon at the Tombstone Livery

with the Ghost Riders Outlaws. The gas alone for the round trip was $750.00

and the round trip was 1665 miles! About 4 years ago gas was $1.85 a gallon,

now four years later it's $3.65 and I'ma wonderin what it will be in another

four years....just thinking outloud! :wacko:

Happy trails

QDG

Try bass fishing for a while and see the $$$$ go!!

Blackfoot

And they even ain't all that good eatin'...! :huh:

I figgered thusly: Entry fee for one shooter (me) $135.00 (seems to be the norm nowdays), The distance to the shoot, 125 mi for two days = 250 miles. My truck gets 17 MPG, that adds up to around 15 gal at $3.99 gal (Diesel)= around $60.00 for fuel. We're now around $195.00 for the shoot, not counting lunch etc.

A great day to all.

Al

To continue with the logic as laid out:

entry fee - $135

fuel - $60

meals - 3 per day x 2 days @ $10/meal = $60

motel - $75

Total - $330 for your entertainment

Considering the fact that fuel, meals, and lodging, $195/$330, will be associated with any kind of sport; the alternative is too stay home....

A great day to all as well.....

Tell me about it! :blush: Just returned from Tombstone where I shot

a couple of matches including High Noon at the Tombstone Livery

with the Ghost Riders Outlaws. The gas alone for the round trip was $750.00

and the round trip was 1665 miles! About 4 years ago gas was $1.85 a gallon,

now four years later it's $3.65 and I'ma wonderin what it will be in another

four years....just thinking outloud! :wacko:

Happy trails

QDG

Granpaw I have to ask what were you driving that only get about 3 1/2 miles to the gallon?, I want to know so I never buy one

One place where many folks can save $$$ Is IF the folks who put these shoots on would NOT include the meals in the fee....I know "I" can eat for much cheaper. ;)

Also, many folks have food allergies/medical issues so that they MUST know what's in the food before they eat.

Example: My wife :wub: is allergic to Soy and most mellons----EITHER can kill her :excl:

Respectfully,

LG

Having been, in the past few years, close to several relatives who were fighting the fixed-income-versus-entertainment battle, I can tell you IMHO that giving up the extra-curriculars is the quickest way to depression and eventually to giving up on other things, no matter what form the entertainment takes. Sounds like the "big" shoots have been important to you in the past...so,

Three (or four) questions:

How important TO YOU is the comraderie, fun, and excitement of going to a "big" shoot? If you give up those things entirely, what will you do to avoid the "old-man-sleeping-in-the-recliner" syndrome?

What about ONE big shoot in a year, or perhaps a couple of "less big" ones a little closer to home?

Is there any way you can take the advice offered by the other folks in this thread, like sharing rides or bunking in?

Haven't had the pleasure of meeting you in person, Al, but regardless, I don't want to see a cowboy just give up without a fight on what he enjoys, so IMO...

If you have something else to do that you know will entertain you sufficiently and costs enough less to justify your actions, then give up the "big" shoots entirely...but know what you are doing going in. If not, then figure a way around the cost problem.

Sorry to sound like a psycho-babbler, just have seen a lot lately.

CS

I was just trying to figgerout how to attend a couple "big shoots", and ran somenumbers (not my strong forte), and arrived at a disturbingdecision.

I figgered thusly: Entry fee for one shooter (me)$135.00 (seems to be the norm nowdays), The distance to the shoot,125 mi for two days = 250 miles. My truck gets 17 MPG, that adds upto around 15 gal at $3.99 gal (Diesel)= around $60.00 for fuel. We'renow around $195.00 for the shoot, not counting lunch etc. If youshoot in my speed catagory (60 sec stage) you are paying 19.50 astage to shoot or 195.00 for 5-6 MINUTES of shooting for two days (10stages). Pretty rich, I thinks.

The shoot says it's limited to400 shooters (and they say it will fill up), that adds up to $54,000.Now I know some families get a break, so the amount will be slightlylower, but this is still a lotta' gold.

You say, well you geta "Banquet" ticket. BFD!! Most of those meals are marginal,at best. (MHO)

Anyway, MY monthly income is $1029.00 a MONTHfrom SS. Out of this I must pay my family expenses, and I see NO wayto continue to patronize these high priced events where I go inknowing I don't stand a snowballs chance in He** of winning anything.I, and many others are just there as "filler" for thehotdogs.

I will miss seeing many pards that have the gold tocontinue on.

All the above is MHO, and reflects on no one orany particular event or sponsors.

A great day to all.

Al

Your point is well taken... though I am not retired, and as your basic "blue collar Joe," this sport is EXPENSIVE!) I am just about to the point of suspending all monthly shoots and practicing on my own (I could buy a full set of targets and all the ammo I needed with the money I spent going to shoots last summer (travel, and $10 entry fees)) and then just entering the bigger annual shoots. But the people that make up this sport are 9/10 the fun! Bottom line is we all have to balance out how to make it work... (annuals are fun... but good people (and their friendship) are found at monthly's as well).

Hope you find what works for you!

I just try to dowhat I can do - being a salesguy my income is not fixed and mypaychecks can be 'feast or famine'...

and taking care of myfamily is utmost priority - but now they want to shoot laugh.gif

GG ~ FlagAm.gif

Gunner... I hear you... beingself-employed, that cash-flow roller coaster can be a vicious ride!

Archived