SASS Wire Forum

Shaving

I have been using a soap/mug and brush fer the last 15 yrs. I buy the soap (Bay Rum) each yr from a lady at the Iowa State Fair. My razor has been a Mach 3 however I am thinking about a change. I have been using the same blade now for over a month because everytime I go to buy blades I have sticker shock. I just read an article about a Men's Salon (the groom room) in Ames that has a clinic on shaving with a safety razor (10 to 30 cents per blade). It's $30 for the clinic and it includes starter kit of razor, 5 blades, shave cream and brush. May give it a try.

CPK

Well I jumped in and went to the clinic. The safety razor is a Parker. I have tried Gillette & Astra blades. So far I really like it. It's a lot easier to shave around these Buffalo Bill whiskers and it's a SMOOTH shave!! I'm hooked.

CPK

Astra blades are nice blades. I had some for a while, but the Gillettes and Personnas that I use are so much less expensive that I pretty much just use those...

Well, I've used my new gear five times and I'm really getting the hang of it again. It be better when the cuts heal up and I'm sure no one will realize my right ear is plastic once it gets fitted properly.

Actually, I've done well with one exception when I forgot to ease up going over the point of my chin and "burned" the bejabbers out of myself. Just a skosh closer than I intended.

I ordered a new shaving cup. My wife didn't like me using her coffee cup, something about the soap made the coffee taste funny.

Once you get past the razor burning part, it's really a comfortable shave. I used to hate shaving, but now I actually somewhat enjoy it!

Interesting thread. As far as you fellows using BADGER brushes, my family would hope that you could find an substitute for Uncle Harry.

I currently use an electric razor that I have had for at least twenty years. Of course, with a full beard and moustach, I only trim the neck and lower lip. The razor has, of course, a flip down trimmer that I use to clean the gutters and edges. I had thought of shaving it all off several times but I keep coming back to the idea that it is an awful lot of work to shave every where, every day. Besides. I like to hear my wife giggle when I kiss her. :wub:

Several years ago, I got a wild idea to shave it all off. My wife was watching TV and I retired to "the room"

and while washing my hands and running warm water over them, I looked into the mirror and got this wild urge to shave it all off. Well, I lathered up, and zipped them off. Clean as a baby's behind. A slap of some Russian Leather and I walked out into to the living room. My wife was watching the tube and I stood and when she looked up, SHE SCREAMED. She thought a strange man had come into the house. Her first remark was go grow it back. I liked it better the other way. I think it has something to do with my looks. :wacko:

I did at one time have a BADGER brush and my Great Uncle's shaving mug. My Daughter has a small

hair styling shop and I gave her the brush and mug for a display. I had an old cheap straight razor that I picked up somewhere but it went the way of other "treasures".

I still have my Grandfather's shaving mug.

He used a straight razor every day he shaved. I do not know what happened to his Strop, or his razor.

I use an electric razor during the work week to facilitate shaving quickly. On weekends (and in the near future when I retire and have more time)I use a double edge safety razor, a mug, a badger hair brush, and a cake of shaving soap for lather. I get a closer shave and enjoy the shave more with my 1959 Adjustable Gillette "fatboy" safety razor. You just have to lather up, and shave with three passes.

I use an electric razor during the work week to facilitate shaving quickly. On weekends (and in the near future when I retire and have more time)I use a double edge safety razor, a mug, a badger hair brush, and a cake of shaving soap for lather. I get a closer shave and enjoy the shave more with my 1959 Adjustable Gillette "fatboy" safety razor. You just have to lather up, and shave with three passes.

Uncle Harry will not like you.

Beenin a half breed, I need to shave once a week, if dat.

I got nuff red man in me, I can't grow a decent beard, nuff white man in me, I NEED to shave !

Poor me ! ! ;):lol:B)

Archived