SASS Wire Forum

Shaving

Was just wondering about shaving habits.

I was looking in to trying out me a straight razor and a badger brush. Although I had no idea BMC made brushes, I am happy to support him in his brush making career.

I have also seen all manner of towel warmers, lotions and creams, and other assorted do-dads to assist in the manly art of hair removal.

What says the fire?

Was just wondering about shaving habits.

I was looking in to trying out me a straight razor and a badger brush. Although I had no idea BMC made brushes, I am happy to support him in his brush making career.

BMC also makes license plates.....he's an expert there....years of experience. BMC told me that when he's making license plates he suits up in orange coveralls and pink drawers too....imports the pink drawers from Maricopa County Arizona :)

I don't use a straight razor (afraid I'd cut my own throat) but I have been shaving with an assortment of old "safety" razors for two or three years now. I have two brushes, both silvertip badger, and use soap rather than cream. I don't bother with hot towels, etc. just slosh hot water on my face, work some soap into the brush and lather it up on my face. It takes a little longer to do it that way than it does by just smearing canned goop on, but soap scents are many and varied, and the badger bristles just plain feel good on my skin.

I use an electric these days, but I used to use a badger brush and soap to lather up before shaving. It is just my opinion, but it seemed to help keep ingrown hairs somewhat at bay.

Mach 3 shaver with shaving cream ~ most everyday. Feeling a bit 'cowboy' I tend to 'let it go' for a few days before a match...sometimes.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I inherited a "Rolls Razor" from an uncle who died back in '65. I tried it out last Sunday for the first time. Works, except a little tough to get the upper lip.

Mine is from the 1920's, as near as I can figure.

Salud,

eGG

(no need to call the EMT's)

I always use soap and a brush. Most days I use an old Gillette safety razor, mine dates from around 1959 or so. Occasionally I use one of my straight razors. "Occasionally", because it takes more time and attention. Before you jump in and take that blade to your throat I recommend going to a real barber and getting a shave. Watch them and ask advice. The angle of blade to skin is very important. I cringe every time I see someone shaving on TV or in a movie, they almost always hold the razor wrong.

Here's good information Shaving

Good Luck!

RR

BTW you quickly learn why so many men, in the age of the straight razor, had mustaches.

Badger brush, yes. Traditional traight razor, too much hassle to keep it sharp. Straight razor with a replaceable blade is a better choice but slashing your throat is not. Me, Mach 5 is good enough for a good close shave and electric razor for maintenance.

I have a collection of over 50 straight razors...all in excellent condition with wooden mahogney cabinet...$300. :D

Ain't shaved since June, 1970!! :rolleyes:

Don't know what to tell ya'!! :unsure::lol:

I use a gel and a safety razor in the shower.

I used to think the multiple blade razors were an advertising gimmick. I would buy the cheap disposables, thinking there was no real difference in razors. Then I was given a Schick "Hydro" razor, a scary looking 5-blade thing. But dang it is the most comfortable razor I have ever used. Absolutely no drag at all. And I have been using the same blade cartridge for a month, shaving beard and lip daily.

Sorry to sound like an ad, but I am a convert.

I have used my grandfather's straight razors, just to prove that I could. Not worth the effort.

The avatar is an old photo. I'm clean at the moment.

I've used badger brushes, shaving mug and soap for forty-five years now since 1967. While I have an old Gillette Milord razor from the 1940's, I pretty much stick with my Gillette Sensor or even a Trac II on a classic, stainless steel handle that has just the right heft.

There's a lot to be said for using the mug and soap. You can control the moisture a lot better, whereas the stuff out of the can is comparatively dry. Then I finish everything up with a liberal splashing of bay rhum or even Old Spice.

I've had a beard and moustache since 72,but I still shave my neck.I still use the Schick injector single blade that I was issued when I went into basic with the Army in 66.I've tried other razors including electric ones,but keep coming back to my old one.Just use shampoo for the lather and shave in the shower.

I have my Fathers mug and brush, but the only soap I can find in the store really breaks my skin out. Usually use a Tea Tree gel from Sports Clips and a multi-blade modern razor. We have an old fashioned Barber Shop here in Indy that does the hot towel and straight razor shave, might try it one of these days!

BSD

Being full bearded, I just need touch-ups around the edges to keep things clean and sharp. A Sensor razor and a bit of Barbasol do the trick. My brush and mug were boxed as a memory long ago, when time became more importatnt than tradition.

I do have, however, a shaving-related memory from my grandfather - a hand-stropping device. It a round, flat housing (like a thick pancake), about 6" in diameter, with a flip-up handle (like a large tape measure). It has revolving discs of leather inside, and a slot for inserting razor blades. Put in a blade, rotate the handle, and your blades come out as sharp as a barber's. From a time when folks maintained their dull tools instead of throwing them out.

LL

I love a mug and good brush. I've found that if I fill the mug with hot water and let it sit a bit, also let hot water run over the brush, then the lather will be warm. I don't like the cold canned stuff.

Call me chicken, but NO ONE, not even the lovely Miss Rocky is putting a straight razor to my throat. Just ain't gonna happen.

Mug, brush, and straight razor for me. Sometimes I'll use a Mach 5 I'm in a rush. I do like my straight razor though.

I have an old buck skinner that I've shaved with before as well and yes, it will shave clean!

Razor, knife, ax, shovel, chain saw....I've found that if I keep my tools sharp I spend less money! I've let the local Barber hack at my face before as well. I've not yet been impressed by his shaves! That, and he's a bit scary with a straight blade!

EE Taft

I have my Fathers mug and brush, but the only soap I can find in the store really breaks my skin out. Usually use a Tea Tree gel from Sports Clips and a multi-blade modern razor. We have an old fashioned Barber Shop here in Indy that does the hot towel and straight razor shave, might try it one of these days!

BSD

I get my soaps from Mama Bear's Soaps on the 'Net. Wide range of scents and they last a long time. They come as a poured in the bowl soap, and you just work your brush on the top of the soap, get it loaded up well, then work up the lather on your face. Very nice shave with an old Gillette safety razor. My current favorite razor is my 1959 Fat Boy adjustable...

I get my soaps from Mama Bear's Soaps on the 'Net. Wide range of scents and they last a long time. They come as a poured in the bowl soap, and you just work your brush on the top of the soap, get it loaded up well, then work up the lather on your face. Very nice shave with an old Gillette safety razor. My current favorite razor is my 1959 Fat Boy adjustable...

Thanks Charlie!

BSD

Well, this sent me off searching for my late '50s early / '60s Gillette adjustable safety razor. Guess it's gone. I started using the dual blade jobs in '72.

Does anyone have any feed back on the new safety razors and the "never heard of 'em" brands of blades?

I have been using a soap/mug and brush fer the last 15 yrs. I buy the soap (Bay Rum) each yr from a lady at the Iowa State Fair. My razor has been a Mach 3 however I am thinking about a change. I have been using the same blade now for over a month because everytime I go to buy blades I have sticker shock. I just read an article about a Men's Salon (the groom room) in Ames that has a clinic on shaving with a safety razor (10 to 30 cents per blade). It's $30 for the clinic and it includes starter kit of razor, 5 blades, shave cream and brush. May give it a try.

CPK

I just use the old razors. My go-to blades are Gillette 7 o'clock greens and Red Pack Personnas. Both are dang nice blades. I also use Feathers sometimes, but they're super sharp and consequently are more expensive. I've also used Crystals, which are also pretty good. I don't really care for Derbys, though some people like them.

The modern Merkur razors are well thought of in shaving circles, but I'm happy with my antique Gillettes. I have three, three piece ones that were made in the 20's and 30's, my dad's twist-to-open Blue Tip Super Speed from 1959, my uncle's Slim Adjustable from 1972, my wife's uncle's 1972 Black Handle Super Speed, and a few more. Mostly I either use one of the three piece ones that belonged to my buddy's grandad and was made in the 30's, or a 1959 Fat Boy adjustable I bought a couple of years ago.

I just use the old razors. My go-to blades are Gillette 7 o'clock greens and Red Pack Personnas. Both are dang nice blades. I also use Feathers sometimes, but they're super sharp and consequently are more expensive. I've also used Crystals, which are also pretty good. I don't really care for Derbys, though some people like them.

The modern Merkur razors are well thought of in shaving circles, but I'm happy with my antique Gillettes. I have three, three piece ones that were made in the 20's and 30's, my dad's twist-to-open Blue Tip Super Speed from 1959, my uncle's Slim Adjustable from 1972, my wife's uncle's 1972 Black Handle Super Speed, and a few more. Mostly I either use one of the three piece ones that belonged to my buddy's grandad and was made in the 30's, or a 1959 Fat Boy adjustable I bought a couple of years ago.

Charlie with a safety razor are you able to get into a small space? Right now wif my handlebar mustache and chin strip (aka Buffalo Bill) I find it hard to shave between the stache and chin strip.

CPK

I love a mug and good brush. I've found that if I fill the mug with hot water and let it sit a bit, also let hot water run over the brush, then the lather will be warm. I don't like the cold canned stuff.

+1

Charlie with a safety razor are you able to get into a small space? Right now wif my handlebar mustache and chin strip (aka Buffalo Bill) I find it hard to shave between the stache and chin strip.

CPK

It depends on the razor, Kid. The head on the Fat Boy I'm currently using is pretty thick, so it doesn't work too well in tight places. On the other hand, any of the Gillette Super Speeds should work fine for what you're trying to do, and they are relatively mild shavers, especially the 40's and the Blue Tips. Of the Super Speeds, the Red Tips are the most aggressive, and they're still not super aggressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now you done it.

I got a twist to open Gillette and a pack of Wilkinson Sword platinum blades (because I remembered from the 1970s that they were good) and today I got the first really good shave in almost 40 years. One pass down and one more up, minor touch up, an got a better shave in half the time than I been getting with a Track II. A splash of Dominica Bay Rum and I'm good to go.

No burn, no blood, and I only found one spot I missed.

Thanks folks. It's good to get back to something better.

Archived