SASS Wire Forum

Ever had a plugged up toilet? Read with CAUTION! And not at dinnertime.

Tucumcari Tim

Got a call last night from my brother-in-law asking if I had some rubber gloves, a crescent wrench, a rope and some time. When asked what he was doing, he informed me he was at the mother-in-laws house with his wife and was trying to unclog the toilet that his wife had discovered earlier in the day. (mother-in-law is currently out of town). I asked him if he needed a snake also, to which he said "It's way past that". He had tried to snake it out and fur came back on the end. Thinks it may be a rat stuck in the sewer drain. We are in a rural area with a septic system so that's not entirely unlikely. Grabbed my tools, along with the gloves and a sense of dread, and drove over. About 5-8 minutes, so not very far. I pull into the drive where I see Ken (brother-in-law) wretching on the back porch in 20 degree weather in his t-shirt. Didn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy for what awaits. Asked him what's going on and he said to just go into the bath and take a look. He had taken the toilet off the ring and lo and behold there were 2 eyes peering at me from inside the sewer pipe. I must tell you that they were now cold dead eyes, but eyes, none the less. As a kid, I used to work at a hospital and actually cleaned the autopsy room and surgery when needed. The smells there seemed like roses compared to what was emanating from this room from Hades. He had a pair of "barbeque tongs", a big spoon, a small pair of plyers and a coat hanger that was used to try and extricate the beast. I will not need any reminders to not go to barbeques at her house anytime soon. Upon looking closer, it was not a rat. It was a squirrel tucked neatly inside. Don't know how long he lasted there, but must say was a horrible way to go. Accused my sister-in-law of eating at Chucky Cheezes that day, and got overzealous and ate the mascot. After a little poking and prodding with a crowbar, and a very large crescent wrench, I was able to pull the big devil from his last resting place. Thought the sister-in-law was going to faint, or pxx her pants or both. Took the poor fellow outside to the back of the property to the garden where I doubt even the coyotes will touch him for a long while.

I have to say that this will be an interesting conversational topic for a long, long time. Of course, it will always involve what my sister-in-law ate. Who'd have thought. And where did he think he was going. It's the middle of winter. His nut search should have been long gone......(sorry...had to say it)

What curiosities have you had plugging stuff up.......if you really care to share?

Kind of gross, but funny now that it's over.

TT

Right now I have a mouse that crawled into the closet where the furnace is and croaked. I can't find the carcass.

The smell in the den is ......interesting. Fortunately it doesn't seem to migrate to the rest of the house.It'll fade away eventually.

Country livin. :lol:

Our butane (remember?) delivery man had his septic line overflow so he got the bright idea of putting the filler hose down in the toilet and let er rip. Ole Buck forgot the water heater pilot light I guess. Dang near kilt him when it blew out the back of the house.

Right now I have a mouse that crawled into the closet where the furnace is and croaked. I can't find the carcass.

The smell in the den is ......interesting. Fortunately it doesn't seem to migrate to the rest of the house.It'll fade away eventually.

Country livin. :lol:

Hey UB, just do what I did on DB calls when they were "stinkers".

Put some fresh coffee grounds in a pan on the stove and turn the burner on. Wasn't perfect, but helped me out many a time..... ;)

Cheers,

LG

I don't have them problems . . . I have an energy efficient, . . . no water use . . . human waste disposal system ( outhouse ).

I don't have leaking pipes either cuz I have a water barrel.

Simple . . . efficient . . .trouble free . . . systems that have worked for hundreds of years . . . :)

You folks keep the pressure water pipes and flush toilets. <_<

I was driving on some twisties in Ohio back in the 70's and there, in the middle of the road was a skunk. I couldn't avoid it and nailed that sucker. The car stunk from skunk....

A couple of days later, the smell was worse. I took the car through a wash sprayer and that didn't help. It was even stronger the next day. I looked underneath and there it was.... Dead skunk stuck in the coil spring. I crawled underneath and removed it piece by piece... barfed a couple times and then dry heaves....

The squirrel probably climbed down the vent pipe on the roof.

LL' B)

That's what I surmised also. Only one way in, and no way out.

What I did not tell all of you, was my sister-in-law thought that pouring Extra Strength Liquid Plummer down the drain would fix it, prior to us seeing what the real problem was. Didn't help in clearing the drain, but the poor little fells'a head was bald as a cue ball.

Don't think I'll forget that sight for a long time.....lol

TT

My mother-in-law was telling us she heard scratching sounds in her attic at night. Over the course of a month three son-in-laws and a grandchild went through her attic and told her we saw nothing.

A short while after that the vent blower over her stove went out and she bought a new one to take it's place. Once again the son-in-laws were called to duty. Imagine our suprise when we lowered the vent and there was a long bushy tail sticking straight up out of it. The rest of that squirrel was stuck in the fan.

Couldn't fault her hearing I'm thinking. We never did tell her what we found as she would have never used that stove again. Those squirrels are too nosey for their own good.

I do volunteer work out at the kids camp every week. Two girl dorms with a total of 12 toilet's. I'll leave it at that for your imagination. :wacko:

My wife's place of business about 25 years ago.... I went to visit her for lunch and there was this horrendous smell... Decayed flesh.... I told her what it was and she said that the smell had been getting worse all week (this was Friday). It seems that a cat that inhabited the warehouse had fallen down between the walls and died. It started to really stink in the August heat. her building manager followed my instructions and busted a hole in the drywall and removed the cat parts... Now at this point, people were power hurling. The manager grabbed a can of air freshener to spray the room. After 5 years of pulling decomposed bodies out of houses with the P.D., I can flaty out tell you that sweet smelling stuff just amplifies the stink.... I reached over to their can of Folger's Coffee. I then grabbed a pot and put it on their hotplate. I dumped about a pound of coffee in the pot, poured in some water and mixed it up into a paste, then turned up the heat underneath to gee whiz..... Burned coffee and moth balls (No, you don't have to remove them from the moths....LOL)are the only thing that will mask the smell of a decomposed human body and believe me when I tell you that human decomp is more horrendous than any animal decomp I have ever run across.... <_<

Back at the Kappa Phi Delta house (SF State, circa 1971) we suddenly developed an unexplainable flea problem. We figgered it out when we started seeing a very rangy ol' stray tomcat skulking about. Then Ol' Tom started exacerbating* the problem by spraying any and every place he could. *(fancy word for makin' it a hell of a lot worse! ;) )

Well, one evenin' ol' Hank had a chance encounter with ol' Tom... and ol' Hank was better armed, having his Ruger Single-Six loaded with shorts at hand - and sent one deciding galena pill right into the offending critter.

In true alleycat fashion, however, ol' Tom had the last word. Seems he found his way under the house (four-story Edwardian), and weaseled his way into a tight spot which seemed to meet up to his standards as a fine and dandy spot to spend eternity.

And that spot was, of course, just about smack-dab under the floor where Hank's bed was.

Dang, but ol' Tom got riper and ranker with time! And 41 years later he's still there - it was so tight not even the skinniest pledges equipped with wire snares could get to him. Needless to say, Hank didn't bring any dates home for a goodly while - and the only way the guys would visit him in his room (which was a really cool spot, having been the library, or study, in the ol' manse) was if we were puffin' on good, cheap ceegars.

"Here, Kitty kitty kitty...!" ^_^

My first job after the Air Force was as the Assistant GM for Roto-Rooter here in Las Vegas. It never ceased to amaze me what people would do to their plumbing and then just live with it. Seems some folks didn't mind still using the toilet LONG after it had gotten clogged. Once that one got full they'd simply move to a different toilt. Had one house where all three were clogged and overflowing. More often than not, these were in nicer neighborhoods. :wacko:

Archived