SASS Wire Forum

Who works on your guns....

Korupt Karl

Since the site won't let guys advertise.....let's do it for them.

In the midwest:

Ohio-Lassiter-pistols, leverguns, 87's and just about everything

Michigan-Colt McCallister-97's, lever guns, etc.

S. Indiana-Manatee-Lever guns, sights, etc.

NE Indiana-Montana Longhair-does about everything

At one time or another I've had all these pards work on, or set up a gun for me and all with good results. By the way these are all top notch shooters as well.

KK

I had Widder do my Marlins with the angle feed and he has turned the process over to Slick McClade who I understand is doing a great job making Widdermatics down in Louisiana.

Let's add to this list to help those who are in need of some gun work.

l

ME Do I count ?

I work on my own guns and they all work flawlessly .

They might not be as good as it gits, But they are better than they came stock ! :blink:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here In the Pacific NW I have OL#4 do my gun work. He'll help you out in pinch to :)!!

List of work and repairs completed:

SKB SxS, very smooth and works every time!

2 Barreta Renegades=full action jobs with Slix springs.

3 other SxS needed repairs and one with full action job.

he also reworked my main match rifle with Slix Springs and other things to finally get it running right.

Ol#4 would do what ever he can to keep you up and running. He's a good Pard!

Just as a point of clarification. Happy Trails "invented" wire lever springs for the toggle link rifles. He doesn't travel much and is mostly retired, so he doesn't get a lot of press. But, if patents were issued on wire lever springs, Hap would own it.

That's not knocking anyone else. The fact is many of the improvements in CAS firearms have been collaborative or iterative inventions by our more industrious cowboys.

But, I worked with Hap on the initial testing of his Whisper Springs and I know how many years ahead of anything else on the market those springs were. And he's designed replacement firing pins for the 1872 Open Tops that REALLY work, a lever safety spring that was better than the one I was fabricating, along with other products.

Plus, Hap is one of the quiet, nice guys in this sport. Look him up sometime The Smith Shop

Karl shouldn't you be loadin' ammo or somthing. You've named every gunsmith I use. You're just making the lines longer. There are hundreds of great gunsmiths all over. Jimmy Spurs, Longhunter, Wes Flowers, Pioneer, Old 97, Dirt Merchant, Widder, and that's barely scratchin' the surface.

C'mon Man!!!

...and Manatee's in California and don't tell when he's gettin' back to Indiana.

Sheeesh :lol:

Karl shouldn't you be loadin' ammo or somthing. You've named every gunsmith I use. You're just making the lines longer. There are hundreds of great gunsmiths all over. Jimmy Spurs, Longhunter, Wes Flowers, Pioneer, Old 97, Dirt Merchant, Widder, and that's barely scratchin' the surface.

C'mon Man!!!

...and Manatee's in California and don't tell when he's gettin' back to Indiana.

Sheeesh :lol:

Exactly!

Hey Max, what KK does is buy more guns, sends em off to all the different smiths for 'Priority' work, and folks like you and me have to wait 3 months before those good smiths can get to 'our' guns.

Some folks keep a Lawyer on retainer.....KK keeps gunsmiths on retainer.......... :lol::lol::lol:

Course, ifn you or I had his money, we would probably do the same thing..... :lol:

He's even got a holster named after him. Go figure.

..........Widder

The key to your gun repair or mod. is it local with in reason. The last thing I want to do is ship my guns from here to way over there. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of great repair and mod place's whether it be EAST,WEST,or in between. I prefer to have my mods and repair done locally so I get great service and great turn around.

That's why I have Ol'#4 do all my work, he's good, reliable, and very reasonable in price. He has fixed anything I have thrown at him, both CAS and non-CAS.

Just my .02.

Big Iron Buster

Gunslinger did our pistols. He also did my Baikal.

Shotgunner did the SKB.

My 73??? Ground springs and put in C&I SS kit in another shooters garage.

My wifes Marlins?? One is a CBC with no other work done except one piece firing pin. Another done by Longhunter and is also

getting work done by Slick McClade right now. Just got another with a Spur SS.

Cash Caldwell and Jug Browning out of Mid-Maryland Gun Repair.

Been dealing with them for alot of years now; always pleased with their work and reasonable prices....

THANKS GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!

Manatee,

You are absolutely right about "Hap".

I used his springs for quite a few years then discovered what I thought was an improvement. I discussed, with Hap, what I thought would make a better spring. His comment was that if I thought it was better to go ahaead and make it.

A gentleman and very humble man. Yes, he started the trends for small, but effective improvements.

Ol' #4

Exactly!

Hey Max, what KK does is buy more guns, sends em off to all the different smiths for 'Priority' work, and folks like you and me have to wait 3 months before those good smiths can get to 'our' guns.

Some folks keep a Lawyer on retainer.....KK keeps gunsmiths on retainer.......... :lol::lol::lol:

Course, ifn you or I had his money, we would probably do the same thing..... :lol:

He's even got a holster named after him. Go figure.

..........Widder

If you and I had his money, we'd be in Florida with him!

...as to that holster, you talkin' 'bout the one with the little hole in the bottom and the big hole in the top?

Here in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin Huckleberry is THE MAN for any sort of gun work. He has helped me quite a few times and I could not be more happy.

If you and I had his money, we'd be in Florida with him!

...as to that holster, you talkin' 'bout the one with the little hole in the bottom and the big hole in the top?

Max, I think Widder is smokin some of that wacky tobacky.....

kk

:FlagAm: If you're looking for a full race action job, no one does Rugers like Jimmy Spurs at Cowboy Gun Works. I've had quality work done by other smiths listed here but didn't come close to what Jimmy did. He also shot stroked and lightened the carrier on two '73's and slicked up two '97's and a Marlin for me. He mostly sticks with Ruger work now from what I understand. Cody is also a great choice for '73's and always stands by his work.

Archived