SASS Wire Forum

Well that was stupid

Grizzly Dave

Was just going out to grab my once daily low dose aspirin and thinking about my physical tomorrow. They'll need a fasting blood draw so I was thinking thru telling them I'd had nothing to eat and had only taken my BP and acid reflux meds.

So instead of getting the aspirin, I grab the other two pills and swaller them down. DOH.

Not to worry, the acid reflux pill I take once daily, though they started me at twice daily. And the BP pill I've had docs and nurses tell me "oh, you're on the baby dose"

So off I go to visit doctor jellyfinger tomorrow and the vampire. Wish me luck.

I guess that's better than accidentally brushing your teeth with hemorrhoid cream instead of toothpaste. Please...don't ask.

I already did. :blink::wacko:

I guess that's better than accidentally brushing your teeth with hemorrhoid cream instead of toothpaste. Please...don't ask.

:blink:

I think I'm gonna hurl!

Just make sure that you brush your teeth afterwards.....lol

Brushed mine with Brylcream once and yep a little dab'll do ya!

You sure wanna do like they tell you Grizz. Last November was scheduled for bloodletting to determine cholesterol and triglycerides. Can't take my morning pills without something on my stomach so I just had one little oatmeal/honey bar. Boy howdy that was a mistake when my cardiologist got the readout. Jeez you'd a thought I was dying or something. I mean a 500 triglyceride reading isn't all that bad. :lol:

Try forgetting and eating a donut before one of those blood draws, Sam.

Yep and notice all those accusing glances among the nurses/doctors when they find out what you did? Almost seemed as if they were gonna call the guys in white suits.

MMMmmmm, donuts!

And I think there are even some in the microwave.....

Nope! I'm not gonna fall for it! Just going to sit here til it's time to go and drink lots of water. They say it's supposed to help out the vampires, but they always seem to still have to stab me multiple times.

Not being dehydrated helps for blood draws. That doesn't mean they are easy for everyone. I've done more than a few on the Army side.

Not being dehydrated helps for blood draws. That doesn't mean they are easy for everyone. I've done more than a few on the Army side.

My veins know that what they carry is liquid gold, so when someone trys to stick them to siphon off a pint, they roll out of the way.

I did my labs a couple weeks ago and saw the doc yesterday... they wanna do all SORTS of inneresting things in the name of science! :blink:

Anyway, I learned the lesson about drinking lots of water... the "nothing for 12 hours before" definitely does not apply to water - the leech couldn't get a drop. Went out to my truck and drank a liter of water, waited a bit, and no problem.

So I asks my doc... "Is coffee okay before the tests?"

"Why shore, he sez - as long as it's black with nothing in it!"

Hmm... like there's any other way to drink it before noon...? :rolleyes:

Learned my lesson about being hydrated years ago. I had to go in for an IVP, the put in an IV and push fluids thru you and watch them or something. Anyway, prep was nothing to eat or drink except water for 12 hours. Well, I wasn't thirsty so I didn't drink any water either.

Three or four different people tried to get the IV in, after about 9 sticks they finally got it. As they pushed the fluid in it felt like a swarm of bees going up my arm. On the up side with the fluids pumped into me, I felt alot better.

Even well hydrated they have trouble with me, so I try to make extra sure I drink a lot of water. The vampire today got me in one stick, though was wondering if there was enough in me to fill up that last vial.

Glad you got a good one today, Griz. There are some who are just talented. A buddy of mine works for the VA, mostly with geriatrics. He can get blood where I can't see a vein. That is not an exaggeration, either. Granted, he does it a LOT more than I do, but still... :angry:

I'm a "hard stick", I've been told. Veins are deep and like to roll when a needle is chasing them!

At the lab I usually use, when I walk in, the receptionist turns around and hollers in the back "Mr. Bama Red is here, is Hazel working today?"

Hazel has my number and can usually get me in one stick - with the other gals, it can sometime seem like "Amateur Hour". I usually call a halt after four sticks per arm and just tell 'em I'll be back when Hazel's on duty. When I was in the hospital this last time, they had to call a nurse and an ultrasound (is that right) machine up from the ER to stick me. Apparently he was their most experienced nurse and using the machine, he got it on the first stick.

I don't take blood thinners but I do bruise easily. An arm stick and I look like I stuck my arm in a hammer mill. Now I go in, leave my sleeve down and tell them to take the sample from the big vein on the back of my hand. Works for me! Easier on me and the Tech.

I am a gusher for the gal that takes my 6 month supply. Big veins, lots of blood and I seldom pass out any more. :)

When I took my physical to enter the Army in 1958, the medic at Ft. Jefferson Barracks must have had some kind of sick humor. When they wanted us to give them a blood sample, they handed us a large

bottle with a rubber hose and a long needle attached to it. We held the bottle in our right hand, and the needle in our left. When we reached the of the line the took the needle and inserted it into the left arm. Blood would gush out into the bottle. When the fellow in front of me was watching the fellow in front of him, as the blood rushed out into the jar, he keeled over backwards. Never made a move or a sound, just passed out.

The military had some strange practices. I never did fathom them completely but Sergeant Ivery said

that it was not important that I did.

Well, all the other tests came back except the lead, which I don't really expect any problem from given I haven't shot or reloaded in months.

Anyway, everything else came back with no flags, not even glucose. It's been in the pre-Diabetes range the last couple of times, but it was back down into the normal range this last time.

Well, all the other tests came back except the lead, which I don't really expect any problem from given I haven't shot or reloaded in months.

Anyway, everything else came back with no flags, not even glucose. It's been in the pre-Diabetes range the last couple of times, but it was back down into the normal range this last time.

Good news! Celebrate tomorrow with a massive cheese topped pizza with canadian bacon, pepperoni, and shrimp. Top it off with a coupla real live milkshakes too. Then its on to beer and boiled eggs for a midnight snack. Go to it on BMC'S tab.

Sam, I was expecting the glucose to be up as I've lately not felt well after eating very many sweets. I guess it was just God telling me not to eat so much sweets at one time.

I guess sometimes I just gotta get kicked in the head so I'll listen to what my carcass is tryin to tell me.

Pizza is on the menu for tomorrow for sure!

Sam, I was expecting the glucose to be up as I've lately not felt well after eating very many sweets. I guess it was just God telling me not to eat so much sweets at one time.

I guess sometimes I just gotta get kicked in the head so I'll listen to what my carcass is tryin to tell me.

Pizza is on the menu for tomorrow for sure!

Can't wait! :)

I'm a "hard stick", I've been told. Veins are deep and like to roll when a needle is chasing them!

When I was younger (20-30 years ago) I had big strong veins, they would jump out and grab the needle and insert it for the tech, a real easy stick :lol: . Now I am like Bama Red, my veins like to play hide and seek with the techs :P . Most do a very good job, just once in a while they have to look a little harder. Ain't getting older fun, it is much better than the alternative :D .

Great news, Grizz.

I told you them snickers bars was good fer yer blood sugars. :)

Archived