SASS Wire Forum

I have eaten a number of interesting animals in my life...

When I was in college the biology department had a wild game potluck every year. People would bring whatever kind of wild meat they had in their freezer or could go out and kill. One year there was a platter of meat that nobody seemed to know what it was. Tasted plumb nasty. Turned out it was a skunk...

How they got that sucker skinned and cooked was beyond me...

"COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF BEER WILL CAUSE ADVERSE REACTIONS IF TAKEN WITH UNKNOWN FOOD ITEMS." :blink:

When I was in college the biology department had a wild game potluck every year. People would bring whatever kind of wild meat they had in their freezer or could go out and kill. One year there was a platter of meat that nobody seemed to know what it was. Tasted plumb nasty. Turned out it was a skunk...

How they got that sucker skinned and cooked was beyond me...

Have read the accounts of whites kidnapped by Comanches. In one she said that while on the getaway they had seen no game but some warrior had killed a skunk which was thrown whole on coals, cooked, and eaten. Like the old saying "If hungry enough hunger will devour itself" meaning that anything and everything is fair game.

I love raw oysters but quit several years ago over fears of listeria, salmonella, and a host of other not no nice pathogens.

I've eaten limpet(a type of sea snail) and sea urchin when I was at a National Science foundation summer program studying Marine Biology and Oceanography at Humboldt State college while in High School. I've also eaten beaver tail, calimari and when I crossed the equator in the Navy I ate balut(a Phillipine delicacy consisting of a fertilized duck egg just before hatching, not something I want to eat again).

I've eaten limpet(a type of sea snail) and sea urchin when I was at a National Science foundation summer program studying Marine Biology and Oceanography at Humboldt State college while in High School. I've also eaten beaver tail, calimari and when I crossed the equator in the Navy I ate balut(a Phillipine delicacy consisting of a fertilized duck egg just before hatching, not something I want to eat again).

Far as I'm concerned you win the YUCKY FOOD trophy!!!!!

I too have eaten Balut while posted in the P.I. I most surely would eat more if I could git it !

And I've eatten horse a time or two along with beaver tail but I will not touch calimari ! YUCK ! ! :blink::wacko:

I have had the good fortune (and sometimes forced mis-fortune) to have some pretty strange stuff, kept nearly all of it down, too :lol: . The adult beverages always provided some relief.

SE Asia: Monkey meat on a stick, Monkey brain and Balut (noted above). Liked the MMOAS, but no more brains or Baluts. Assorted other stuff I never knew exactly what it was. San Miguel was the appropriate beverage to complement.

Survival: Various snakes including Moccasin, Rattlesnake, and assorted non-poisonous varieties - all tasted pretty great. You haven't lived till you've been in a group of starving guys thrashing thru the swamp in pursuit of a moccasin we spotted for lunch (probably stepped on 10 while we were at it - stooopid!). Various bugs, grasshoppers were the best, scorpion ok - all cooked. All the prior washed down with boiled water to complement - at the time, real water tasted like Dom Perignon to us.

Peoples Republic of China (and some repeats in Taiwan, Singapore, and Hong Kong): Sea Snake(cooked), raw sea slug, raw sharks maw, some other animals I can't remember, and worst of all, an alleged "original recipe" Century Egg (cured in horse urine and clay) to honor us - dark green/black yolk, gray white and smelled and tasted like ammonia - came up once, but kept it down and didn't embarrass our delegation. Best part were the beverages to complement these delightful items in the PRC: Shaoxing wine (good rice wine) and Maotai a 106 proof liquor that tasted like well, straight alcohol and came in steel cans/bottles shaped like the old brake fluid cans with the peaked shoulders on top with a small twist top. A few of those and you could eat any of this stuff.

Japan: Sushi - all of it including raw Sea Urchin (my favorite), Squid, Octopus, (cooked), etc. I enjoy nearly all Sushi except Monk fish liver and Natto (fermented soy bean - really vile). Good news is beer and Saki to complement.

Harvey

Who's thinkin' I need some Sushi tomorrow, but ain't ever gonna try Hamster :P

I am awaiting Glenn and MItchell Guist's recipe for alligator gar fish.

Looks like there were a lot of onions in the mix, perhaps to add flavor?

=============================================================

At one time, frozen fish sticks were made from gar fish.

I ain't so sure what I may have eaten over the years. When the local authorities closed several ethnic restaurants in the area for allegedly serving rat, and sadly cat and dog, I suspect there are a large number of folks in the area who've eaten things they don't want to think about. :rolleyes::lol:

====================================================================

I had lunch in a Pakistani kabob place in Herndon, Va., a few years back. I ordered what I thought was beef, but it didn't taste like any beef I'd ever had before; rangy, stringy and kinda gamey tasting. It reminded me of a description I read once of what cat tasted like, written by a WWII Bataan veteran.

Speaking of the P.I., the mystery-meat-on-a-stick that was cooked and sold by street vendors over there sure tasted good after a few cold San Miguels.

but this ain't one of 'em :D

http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I am seeing a huge kaiser roll, garlic/ mustard and yep, the perfect sandwich for JJJ's.. lol.. Me??? I am not touching it..

So you're saying you've had 99 entrees, but a hamster ain't one of them? :mellow:

MISSING : PRESUMED EATEN

http://www.autotrade...on_top_gear.jpg

No - I'm sayin' "I have eaten a number of interesting animals in my life...but this ain't one of 'em :D " ...wait, already said that :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Calimari??? It's great! It's a Christmas eve tradition in most Italian households. Ever have Tripe?? That's good too. I've tried chocolate covered ants before.....NOT very good!:blink: Rye

Archived