SASS Wire Forum

Why I don't repair computers for a living... lol

Deja Vous

Dad has a new tower, keyboard and mouse. I thought he got a new monitor in the box too, but I was wrong. Anyhow, when it was set up I guess the screen was doing a flash fade kinda thing after it warms up a bit. No one said a word to me, until I moved up here.. lol.. After using it a few times I noticed the mouse would freeze up too. So, they now have a wire less remote. I then spent hours on the phone with cable try to trouble shoot the modem... I then decided maybe it was the mass of extension cords run all over the place. So, I cleaned that up. Still it faded .... So, I brough my puter in here and hooked it up, and it was fine. So, little by little I started inter chaning stuff. Finally I was sure it was the keyboard.... And darn that didn't work. Finally I took the monitor back off and put mine back on his tower and it stopped. I finally looked at the plug end of the monitor and yeah, cool there is a crazy little pin missing. So, I hooked it to my system to try to type in Word... and my puter faded.. lol...

cool, so the monitor it turns out was not one that came with the puter in the box, and I think the pin was left in the old puter.. lol.. I was going shopping today, but decided to leave my stuff hooked up so they are using my system, and I will get them a monitor this week.

So that was my day almost 1/2 a week really and no I dont want this job.. lol... Puters..... hump.. lol The day has ended well, so I am content!!!!

Dad has a new tower, keyboard and mouse. I thought he got a new monitor in the box too, but I was wrong. Anyhow, when it was set up I guess the screen was doing a flash fade kinda thing after it warms up a bit. No one said a word to me, until I moved up here.. lol.. After using it a few times I noticed the mouse would freeze up too. So, they now have a wire less remote. I then spent hours on the phone with cable try to trouble shoot the modem... I then decided maybe it was the mass of extension cords run all over the place. So, I cleaned that up. Still it faded .... So, I brough my puter in here and hooked it up, and it was fine. So, little by little I started inter chaning stuff. Finally I was sure it was the keyboard.... And darn that didn't work. Finally I took the monitor back off and put mine back on his tower and it stopped. I finally looked at the plug end of the monitor and yeah, cool there is a crazy little pin missing. So, I hooked it to my system to try to type in Word... and my puter faded.. lol...

cool, so the monitor it turns out was not one that came with the puter in the box, and I think the pin was left in the old puter.. lol.. I was going shopping today, but decided to leave my stuff hooked up so they are using my system, and I will get them a monitor this week.

So that was my day almost 1/2 a week really and no I dont want this job.. lol... Puters..... hump.. lol The day has ended well, so I am content!!!!

Ha!

Welcome to my world.... let's try this, nope that's not it, how about this... nope that didn't work either

...but when you fix it....satisfaction

I know it's not normal to actually enjoy trouble shooting computer issues but then I've never claimed to be normal.

Ha!

Welcome to my world.... let's try this, nope that's not it, how about this... nope that didn't work either

...but when you fix it....satisfaction

I know it's not normal to actually enjoy trouble shooting computer issues but then I've never claimed to be normal.

The part I didn't enjoy was being to stupid to look at the darn plug in the first place. Totally a dumb move and it cost me hours of time..but at the same time I did give my family hours of entertianment watching me crawling around plugging stuff in and moving stuff around.. lol.... So its okay.. I felt like I had invented a "what not to do first" sort of trouble shooting book.. lol

. . . . Deja . . . that is why we refer to them as "confusers" . . . . . :o

It is Ho-k . . . I recently spent three weeks charging my truck's battery and running to town and back with the little dash board thing'r showing "discharge" as I fought and fought and changed this . . and changed that .. . and fiddle with this connection and that connection and changed thing'rs back on and off and on again and then one morning when I was heading to town I pulled out on to the road, . . . looked down at the dash thing'r . . . and it was showing CHARGE again. Now every time I go to start it up I just pray that it'll continue to charge cuz I have no idea which thing'r or whut's it that I fiddle with was the one that fixed it. :wacko:

. . . . Deja . . . that is why we refer to them as "confusers" . . . . . :o

It is Ho-k . . . I recently spent three weeks charging my truck's battery and running to town and back with the little dash board thing'r showing "discharge" as I fought and fought and changed this . . and changed that .. . and fiddle with this connection and that connection and changed thing'rs back on and off and on again and then one morning when I was heading to town I pulled out on to the road, . . . looked down at the dash thing'r . . . and it was showing CHARGE again. Now every time I go to start it up I just pray that it'll continue to charge cuz I have no idea which thing'r or whut's it that I fiddle with was the one that fixed it. :wacko:

Oh, man a project.. lol

Deja,

Sent you a P.M.

DDD

Got it... thanks...

Once had a teacher tell me her computer wouldn't come on.... had plugged everything in but it was just dead.

She had her powerstrip plugged into itself.... couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.

Once had a teacher tell me her computer wouldn't come on.... had plugged everything in but it was just dead.

She had her powerstrip plugged into itself.... couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.

Yikes... I thought she had it turned off.. lol...

...'puters are cool when they w**k right. We have this really old Dell and it was brought back to life by stripping most of the software off of it and just keeping what it is that we use... ...will probably extend its life 3 or 4 years... ...and we're on year 2 right now. <_<

Been there, done that!

Worked with a woman once who's printer wouldn't work. Trying to avoid a 100 mile round trip to her site I went through the obvious potential issues, starting, of course, with "Is it plugged in?

Finally resolved the problem, only to have her yell at me "You didn't TELL me that it had to be plugged in to TWO places!!" :angry: Uh... Lady... it IS powered by electricity...!

But the best was the time we had a "shuffling" in the building, with different groups of ladies trading offices. I get a frantic call "I can't get onto the network!" followed by a rash of similar cries of distress.

So I set out tracing the problem... and standing in one shared office, I realized that something didn't look right. "Say, Misty, where's the hub?"

Uh... the what?

"The hub - you know, that blue box with all the blinkie lights that was atop this bookcase..."

Oh, THAT thing. We didn't use it so we unplugged it and stuck it in a closet.

Well, found it and it's power supply under a pile of junk in a storeroom - but when I moved the bookcase to re-install it, I froze - "Uh... Ladies? Where's all the cables??"

Oh, all those wire thingees? They looked ugly so we took scissors and cut the ends off 'em so we could stuff 'em back inside the wall. So when are YOU going to fix whatever the problem is so we can get back on the internet?? You don't do a very good job of keeping our system running!

AAarrrggghhhh....!!! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Worked with a woman once who's printer wouldn't work. Trying to avoid a 100 mile round trip to her site I went through the obvious potential issues, starting, of course, with "Is it plugged in?

Finally resolved the problem, only to have her yell at me "You didn't TELL me that it had to be plugged in to TWO places!!" :angry: Uh... Lady... it IS powered by electricity...!

But the best was the time we had a "shuffling" in the building, with different groups of ladies trading offices. I get a frantic call "I can't get onto the network!" followed by a rash of similar cries of distress.

So I set out tracing the problem... and standing in one shared office, I realized that something didn't look right. "Say, Misty, where's the hub?"

Uh... the what?

"The hub - you know, that blue box with all the blinkie lights that was atop this bookcase..."

Oh, THAT thing. We didn't use it so we unplugged it and stuck it in a closet.

Well, found it and it's power supply under a pile of junk in a storeroom - but when I moved the bookcase to re-install it, I froze - "Uh... Ladies? Where's all the cables??"

Oh, all those wire thingees? They looked ugly so we took scissors and cut the ends off 'em so we could stuff 'em back inside the wall. So when are YOU going to fix whatever the problem is so we can get back on the internet?? You don't do a very good job of keeping our system running!

AAarrrggghhhh....!!! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Wow!

Did all the ladies you worked with decide to become teachers and work on my campus?

People probably think we make this stuff up but we don't have to!

I can't count how many times I've been called a genius for fixing the simplest problems.

Wow!

Did all the ladies you worked with decide to become teachers and work on my campus?

People probably think we make this stuff up but we don't have to!

I can't count how many times I've been called a genius for fixing the simplest problems.

Yup... true story, CL!

Another favorite was the women who'd come to me holding up a well-worn and dilapidated floppy... My computer won't read my disk! ALL my files are on it!!!

"Well, that's okay... after all, you DO save them to a folder on your hard drive, don't you?" (Prior to shared drives on a server)

No, of course not! Why would I do that? I keep EVERYTHING on my floppy!

"Uh... how old is this disk...?"

I've been using it every day for over three years and it's NEVER had a problem! Fix it so I can get my files!

Uh... can we say "Sneakernet?" :huh:

Got it fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought my valentine his gift this year... a new monitor.. lol... Dad and TJ are still chasing me around with their wallet to pay me back.. lol... But its cool, they will love t his new HP... nothing fancy since they mostly use this for photos and emails... but still it works at least.. lol. thanks for the humor along the way, and the advice...

Archived