SASS Wire Forum

Doomsday Preppers

Yeah they were shelters back in the day. A Nuc attack was they only thing folks were concerned with. Just go down in your shelter, duck and cover, read some books and eat canned goods for a few weeks and everything will be fine. You just have to put up with the screams of your neighbors as they beat on the shelter door. :wacko::rolleyes: Living in South Florida during the Missile Crisis we had a stock of food just in case..

Aye..... YEP, even in Michigan.

Ever notice that none of the preppers have a trained team of horses or mules; or any harness; or any equipment (plow, harrow, etc.)? No saddle stock, either

Hey...I've got mules, and I've got saddle stock, too. Golly, maybe I'm a prepper after all and didn't even realize it. :blink:

Aye..... YEP, even in Michigan.

Betcha didn't have any Hawk missile batteries in yore cornfields and beaches though. :blink::lol:

Scary times. :FlagAm:

• 4 weeks later...

Just remember, what you see is not necessarily an honest rendition.

How Nat Geo misrepresented the foxhole atheist ‘Doomsday Prepper’, Megan Hurwitt

http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondbelief/2012/02/08/how-nat-geo-misrepresented-the-foxhole-atheist-doomsday-prepper-megan-hurwitt/

What you see is Entertainment.

Or at least what the network thinks is entertainment. :rolleyes:

What you see is Entertainment.

Or at least what the network thinks is entertainment. :rolleyes:

What we are shown is meant to please the least common denominators in the population, titillating as many as possible so that advertising revenues are as high as possible.

They feed us swill and expect us to swallow every drop as if it flowed from the River of Truth.

• 11 months later...

I think the producers of these shows try to make some of the folks involved in prepping/survival look like absolute idiots and the thing that makes me mad is that those folks let them.

If some of these folks were serious about prepping they would keep it to themselves.

Was reading that the state of TN declared one of the folks on the show mentally unstable and confiscated all of his guns.

Down south the newscasters talk to people during hurricanes. Out of the large group of people they could interview you can bet it will be the Guy with one tooth and a 3rd grade education. I think the same thing has happened on this show.

Frankly if I was a prepper why would I ever tell the world?

Also why would I prepare only for a specific problem and declare it.

General prepping is good for a number of problems.

By the way the press normally needs to interview a person with a 3rd grade education for an intelligent discussion. You know peer to peer! Intellectual equals.

Frankly if I was a prepper why would I ever tell the world?

Does seem a bit counterintuitve eh? :D

It occurred to me early on that in large corporations and government entities there ARE NO teams ... there are GANGS.

These assinine, team building circle jerks are to identify leaders (not managers) ... those with the right amount of agression, creative thinking capability, raw intelligence, able to form viable plans, take charge and make the others like it.

Just use your head, pick up hints from the "facillitator" and sweet talk the others and you win.

Yep, I remember the Cuban Missile crisis crisis. I had a wife, and two daughters that were pre school age. I remember it well.

We stocked canned food in the basement but I must admit we were woefully unprepared for an emergency.

Looking at the question objectively, I am inclined to believe that a stout bow and a goodly supply of shafts would be the best to have in such dire conditions. Guns and ammunition are great but arrows can be made and bows are silent.

There was even a theory that the american indian was better prepared with bows than the US Army with firearms before repeating weapons came along. Not sure that I buy into that, but they did make a point that the fire arms could only get off shots every so often while the arrows were flying fast and furious. I can believe that.

Sounds like Gun Kid - he of "assault wheelbarrow" fame. His plan, announced openly on several boards, is to take his 14":AR (with the 22 conversion kit and a can) and find someone that has food or fuel or clothing or whatever, and shoot them and take it.

Waaaaay back in 12th grade English class, we was readin' Alas Babylon and Fail Safe, and things of that nature. Discussion was started about the stuff you'd need in a bomb shelter. There was food and water and radiation-detection stuff and clothing and medicines, and I piped up with "A gun".

Them others looked at me like I was a lunatic. Why in the world would you need a gun? I said that, supposin' Dan, over there, has a bomb shelter in his back yard, and he has it stocked with enough food and supplies to last him, his PRETTY wife, and their three kids, for six months. He don't have a gun and I do. Now I have a bomb shelter and Dan's PRETTY wife, and enough food and supplies to last the two of us for a year.

They all thought I was terrible for thinking that.

I was out house hunting in the country recently and a guy had bought 30 acres in the middle of nowhere and built 3 homes on it, enough for all his kis folks. Then each home had a on demand propane generator, He had 4 400 foot wells dug also with their own generator, a huge barn for more living quarters, a swing set for the kids, a large garden, 7 1,000 gallon propane tanks, a 100 gallon diesel tank and 100 gallon unleaded tank, each home had a fireplace for heat and cooking, gas stove, a bunker with shelves upon shelves of dehydrated food, all ready for Y2K, which never happened, and then he sold it and some one else had it for whatever they feared and now they want to sell it. The one thing about preppers is they can not prepare for the likelyhood that NOTHING will happen which means they wasted all that money and effort and fear.

You can't prepare for everything and usually whatever does happen is what you thought would not happen.

On that prepper show they had some guy with a truck who drove around with his cancer ridden wife. He did not plan for nothing happening and enjoying their older years together in a comfortable home.

Yep, I remember the Cuban Missile crisis crisis. I had a wife, and two daughters that were pre school age. I remember it well.

We stocked canned food in the basement but I must admit we were woefully unprepared for an emergency.

Looking at the question objectively, I am inclined to believe that a stout bow and a goodly supply of shafts would be the best to have in such dire conditions. Guns and ammunition are great but arrows can be made and bows are silent.

There was even a theory that the american indian was better prepared with bows than the US Army with firearms before repeating weapons came along. Not sure that I buy into that, but they did make a point that the fire arms could only get off shots every so often while the arrows were flying fast and furious. I can believe that.

I was in Lake Charles LA during the Cuban missile crisis. The now closed Chennault Air Force Base is located there as are various petroleum complexes....one of them is the 4th largest refinery in the country. Lake Charles is located in Southwest LA and we were told that if a missile launched from Cuba we had only about 30 minutes till it hit.

We had an air raid siren installed in the neutral ground by the street 4 houses down from our house. They used to test it every Sat at noon. We used to sit on the ground beside the pole when they tested it because we were stupid and thought it was cool. I remember one Saturday when I was down the street playing and the siren went off. I did not know it was noon and I thought we were under nuclear attack. I was 8 at the time and ran back as fast as I could to our house. I don't know that I've ever been as scared as I was that day.

Sounds like Gun Kid - he of "assault wheelbarrow" fame. His plan, announced openly on several boards, is to take his 14":AR (with the 22 conversion kit and a can) and find someone that has food or fuel or clothing or whatever, and shoot them and take it.

Waaaaay back in 12th grade English class, we was readin' Alas Babylon and Fail Safe, and things of that nature. Discussion was started about the stuff you'd need in a bomb shelter. There was food and water and radiation-detection stuff and clothing and medicines, and I piped up with "A gun".

Them others looked at me like I was a lunatic. Why in the world would you need a gun? I said that, supposin' Dan, over there, has a bomb shelter in his back yard, and he has it stocked with enough food and supplies to last him, his PRETTY wife, and their three kids, for six months. He don't have a gun and I do. Now I have a bomb shelter and Dan's PRETTY wife, and enough food and supplies to last the two of us for a year.

They all thought I was terrible for thinking that.

Actually, you kind of were.;)

I have a nice shotgun and the addresses of two Mormons.

The O'Meara Himself

PS - that was a joke.

I realize your joking, but this brings up a good point: If your hungry or cold, you are welcome at my house for food and shelter anytime you need it, but, if you show up at my house with your nice shotgun in an attempt to kill me and take what you need, I promise you, I will return the favor. I think some people underestimate their neighbors or over estimate themselves when they decide that a gun is all the preparation they need. Not trying to be personal, just addressing several comments on this thread.

Another concern: The Tennessee prepper fellow that was found mentally ill and lost his gun rights, might be an example to all of us when we start discussing mental health and gun control. Near as I can make out from all the info I've read on this case, this guy (who has an entertaining channel on you tube, Dsarti1) is a rather large fellow who went to the doctor for chest pains. The doctor said he was ok but did have some restriction in some blood vessels and would like to put in a couple of stints. The man decided not to have the procedure. The doctor had him evaluated for being suicidal because he didn't want the procedures and WaLa he's now "mentally ill" and unable to possess firearms. True, the fellow is a character, but, does he deserve to loose his right to bear arms? I don't Know.

Silver "welcome to eat at my house whenever you hungry" Shadow

I was out house hunting in the country recently and a guy had bought 30 acres in the middle of nowhere and built 3 homes on it, enough for all his kis folks. Then each home had a on demand propane generator, He had 4 400 foot wells dug also with their own generator, a huge barn for more living quarters, a swing set for the kids, a large garden, 7 1,000 gallon propane tanks, a 100 gallon diesel tank and 100 gallon unleaded tank, each home had a fireplace for heat and cooking, gas stove, a bunker with shelves upon shelves of dehydrated food, all ready for Y2K, which never happened, and then he sold it and some one else had it for whatever they feared and now they want to sell it. The one thing about preppers is they can not prepare for the likelyhood that NOTHING will happen which means they wasted all that money and effort and fear.

You can't prepare for everything and usually whatever does happen is what you thought would not happen.

On that prepper show they had some guy with a truck who drove around with his cancer ridden wife. He did not plan for nothing happening and enjoying their older years together in a comfortable home.

Sounds like a supply depot. If he intends to keep it he better get a good loyal team.

I just finished reading the John Wesley Rawlings books, "Patriots" and "Survivors"..The plot is about a worldwide economic crash, and a group of survivalists who spent around 10 years preparing before as they put it in the books, "The shumer hit the fan"..Pretty good read, and fairly believable..Although it would be hard to find a group of people who get along with each other as well as the characters do in the books, and they also spent most of their spare time before the meltdown hoarding food, supplies, fuel, weapons and ammo, as well as training in military-style tactics..IMHO, life's too short to spend all your time preparing for something that might never happen, although I could be proven wrong about that someday..Especially in light of current events..I DO think it's a good idea to have at least a modest, rotating stash of food, water, weapons and ammo though, just in case..

I find it a little more entertaining than "Moonshiners", I say a little cause it is easier to understand without all the down south accents.

Archived