SASS Wire Forum

Doomsday Preppers

Anyone watch Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo? What do you think?

Da Who.......

Dat What.......

Dat Whar.........

And ya ask dis question ? ! :blink:;):lol:

I found out that I am too skinny to be a survivalist.

Well, if push comes to shove, I'm fat enough I could go a few months on rabbits ! :ph34r:

Like all today's "reality" shows, they picked some of the oddest-strangest preppers.

Makes for "better" ratings :rolleyes:

I, like most who've spent 20 years in my counties Emergency Services, am more "prepared" than the average person and know others who might be called Preppers.

Yet, I've never met anyone who looked like those folks on Nat-Geo :lol:

In one of the many "charm" schools the goverment required me to attend the most memorable came to mind. This was an exercise on team building...what else? :lol: It went as follows:

An aircraft crash lands in an extremely remote corner of the earth and there a dozen survivors. Among the sparse supplies onboard are a box of chocolate energy bars, first aid supplies/medicine, some food, 5 liters of water,extra warm clothing, a mirror, etc.,etc, and a 45 auto. The group is challenged with formulating a plan for survival and quick rescue so the session leader asks each team to identify the most important item. The "book" answer is the mirror for signaling search aircraft. Others mentioned plans to ration food and water and so on.

One nimrod correctly identified the most important object to be secured by exclaiming "I'll take the .45 and then anything else I need!" The bureaucrats wrote him off as a team leader and anything else in their little black book I'm sure! :lol:

I saw part of it. A young woman who plans to walk 13 miles out of LA to a car she has stashed to drive to safety! How many duhs are involved here? She has stocked her apartment with all the food she can store there. Why bother if you plan to bug out with a 40 lb pack on your back? Then there is the fact that a young woman alone is going to walk through an urban area after society has broken down. OK, she has a gun but, so will the gangs of thugs intent on raping her and stealing her food. Even if she gets to the location of the car, what are the chances it will still be there and drivable? Last, in the event of a total breakdown of society exactly where is she going to drive to that is safe? Some hideaway in the country where she will be alone and the perfect target for roving bands of thugs. I suppose she also plans to stay awake 24/7 so she won't be surprised. I quit watching after that.

Bugs Bonney

Yep, that was kinda my point in the government training described above. In reality, armed bands will take anything and everything except in instances of being extremely lucky or tactically very well prepared. Most people, especially food hoarders, aren't.

I watched a bit on one of the preview channels about the show a few weeks ago..One lady called herself something like "The Doris Day of doomsday preppers", went on state how proud she was of being liberal-minded, and owning no guns..But appeared to have a really nice stock of food and supplies..Several thoughts came to mind:

1. She has a lot of supplies.

2. She has no means whatsoever to defend and hang onto said supplies.

3. She has just shown the entire world her stash, as well as making it known she has no means, or even the attitude, to be able to protect it. :wacko:

I'll probably tune in one night and check it out, just out of curiosity..Most reality shows are a real turn-off for me. <_<

Morbit this message may be....but, we're all gonna die one day or another.

I don't think I'll spend too much time worrying about doomsday.

When (if) it comes I'll protect myself, my family and my friends until ol' death comes knockin'.

We all gotta go sometime.

EE (sorry, it's snowin' and I'm bored!) Taft :)

Did I say morbit!?!? I meant morbiD!!!!

:lol:

A local woman (with 17 cats and three dogs) is a doomsday prepper. Everyone knows it and she has been cleaned out three times I know of. Had a couple of hundred pounds of beans, rice, and flour.

A local woman (with 17 cats and three dogs) is a doomsday prepper. Everyone knows it and she has been cleaned out three times I know of. Had a couple of hundred pounds of beans, rice, and flour.

Tween' da cats an da beans ......

....dang glad I don't live downwind ah her :blink:

She figger'd da smell would keep away the thugs!.....

.....It'll sure keep me away!

In one of the many "charm" schools the goverment required me to attend the most memorable came to mind. This was an exercise on team building...what else? :lol: It went as follows:

An aircraft crash lands in an extremely remote corner of the earth and there a dozen survivors. Among the sparse supplies onboard are a box of chocolate energy bars, first aid supplies/medicine, some food, 5 liters of water,extra warm clothing, a mirror, etc.,etc, and a 45 auto. The group is challenged with formulating a plan for survival and quick rescue so the session leader asks each team to identify the most important item. The "book" answer is the mirror for signaling search aircraft. Others mentioned plans to ration food and water and so on.

One nimrod correctly identified the most important object to be secured by exclaiming "I'll take the .45 and then anything else I need!" The bureaucrats wrote him off as a team leader and anything else in their little black book I'm sure! :lol:

I once got into a bit of a rhubarb with the "facilitator" during one of these exercises when I "incorrectly" recognized the importance of a parachute* (one of the listed items), as well as firearm and water and such.

When he was criticizing my choices ("a parachute? I mean, oh COME now... what POSSIBLE use could a parachute be after you've crashed?"), I was was brash enough to state that in a REAL survival class we were taught the value of a parachute - material for shelter, bandages, clothing, cord for all sorts of uses such as snares, and so forth * ("Survival and Emergency Uses of Parachute").

The "learned gentleman" (he was a psychologist) made it quite clear that he considered me weak-minded. Oh, well...! :rolleyes:

I once got into a bit of a rhubarb with the "facilitator" during one of these exercises when I "incorrectly" recognized the importance of a parachute* (one of the listed items), as well as firearm and water and such.

When he was criticizing my choices ("a parachute? I mean, oh COME now... what POSSIBLE use could a parachute be after you've crashed?"), I was was brash enough to state that in a REAL survival class we were taught the value of a parachute - material for shelter, bandages, clothing, cord for all sorts of uses such as snares, and so forth * ("Survival and Emergency Uses of Parachute").

The "learned gentleman" (he was a psychologist) made it quite clear that he considered me weak-minded. Oh, well...! :rolleyes:

Yessir, and the amount of money taxpayers shell out for "training" of goverment managers is staggering. Not only redundant, irrelevant, and costly in the name of fostering PC and team effort in the workplace it is/was an affront to my sensibilities.

I mean "Ain't we charming enough as it is?" :lol:

Wake up every morning thankful I don't have to play those games anymore.

Was reading that the state of TN declared one of the folks on the show mentally unstable and confiscated all of his guns.

Down south the newscasters talk to people during hurricanes. Out of the large group of people they could interview you can bet it will be the Guy with one tooth and a 3rd grade education. I think the same thing has happened on this show.

People just crave the TV spotlight. I don't know why. There will always be plenty of willing participants for 'reality" shows. :wacko:

What ever helps the ratings and makes the show work.

I personally believe that the amount of truth that comes over the airways could die of lonelyness.

I think the best one I saw was some pseudo scientist that was in Greenland, I believe, and he was telling us how far back the glaciers had melted. Later in the show, he slipped up and mentioned that

it was the middle of the summer. I thought to myself. Yeah, glaciers do melt in the summer time.

Of course not where Wallaby Jack lives. The grow in the summer time down under. Melt in the winter.

Correct Jack?

A "learned Gentleman" , uh ?

Just guess his Ma and Pa paid good money after bad !:ph34r:

Ever notice that none of the preppers have a trained team of horses or mules; or any harness; or any equipment (plow, harrow, etc.)? No saddle stock, either No cache of seed, fertilizer, etc.? Lots of AKs but no flintlocks? No books on pre-idustrial technology?

So what happens after the beans and flour and .223 rounds are gone?

Once again Ron White has been proven correct.

SQQ

Okay, I try plant a little vegetable garden, have a few fruit trees, chickens, and a little extra food, etc. on hand....but I'll be @#$%&* if I'm going around wrapped in tinfoil in order to keep the gama rays off me! :wacko:

SQQ, one does not need a team of mules if one knows how to maintain old tractors etc AND to make alcohol fuel for older vehicles.

The family that was raising fish and plants in a swimming pool does not need such stuff.

If your thinking you will need flintlocks you must be thinking we would return to the dark ages.

You planning on making your own gunpowder and bullets.

There are an awful lot of rounds of ammo out there. But how many do you own is the real question once bugged.

I did see some bow and arrows. More quiet less attention.

If they can grow wheat they can make flour and bread.

It would indeed be a very long outage of "civilization" to run out of rounds if well stocked.

I am not a prepper but I want to be. ^_^

The problem with anything is when it is taken to extremes it causes concern. I always question on shows such as this how many are really actors.

First I think emergency preparations depends on what part of the country you live. For example if I lived in a flood plain such as New Orleans it would not make much sense to have a well stock pantry when I would be required to evacuate my home. Likewise in a earthquake zone, what is the point of a well stocked house if odds are my home will be badly damaged or destroyed. The gal in California is overlooking the major cause of damage after a earthquake; fire. In these cases bug out bags and full tank of gas make more sense.

Here in the midwest the greatest natural danger I faced in order are; prolonged power failure, damage for a tornado hit and unwanted guests from a nearby large city. As country folks much of how we live would be "prepping". A underground shelter, i.e. basement or better a underground safe room, stocked food stores. (The govermint recommends two week food and water supply which really isn't a very long time period). Some of my prepping uses common items for the midwest; camping lanterns, bar-b-que grill, small camping stove, chickens, garden, rain barrels.

Gee, maybe I am a prepper but just didn't have a title.

I am not a prepper but I want to be. ^_^

The problem with anything is when it is taken to extremes it causes concern. I always question on shows such as this how many are really actors.

First I think emergency preparations depends on what part of the country you live. For example if I lived in a flood plain such as New Orleans it would not make much sense to have a well stock pantry when I would be required to evacuate my home. Likewise in a earthquake zone, what is the point of a well stocked house if odds are my home will be badly damaged or destroyed. The gal in California is overlooking the major cause of damage after a earthquake; fire. In these cases bug out bags and full tank of gas make more sense.

Here in the midwest the greatest natural danger I faced in order are; prolonged power failure, damage for a tornado hit and unwanted guests from a nearby large city. As country folks much of how we live would be "prepping". A underground shelter, i.e. basement or better a underground safe room, stocked food stores. (The govermint recommends two week food and water supply which really isn't a very long time period). Some of my prepping uses common items for the midwest; camping lanterns, bar-b-que grill, small camping stove, chickens, garden, rain barrels.

Gee, maybe I am a prepper but just didn't have a title.

Yeppers,

You iz one ;):D

Interesting thread here. I keep going back to the mind set of most folks. Look at the natural disasters that take place time and time again. The first thing they tell us about it is how the folks start hoarding batteries, ice, water and bread, milk and eggs. Things that are necessary. Then they tell us about how long it took the government to arrive with water, food and comfort items.

BUT, and there is always that pesky but, what if there were to be no government trucks or trains or

help. What if you were left on your own. Geeez, we have enough problems pulling things back together when things go according to plan. What happens when they don't?

Having a gun on hand is nothing more than a tool. It will not feed your family unless you use it to hunt or steal.

I guess the bottom line is that we as a species have become dependent on outside sources for our

own survival. Survival of the fittest has become survival of the what?

SQQ, one does not need a team of mules if one knows how to maintain old tractors etc AND to make alcohol fuel for older vehicles. You need to raise some crops for alcohol. That might not be an option depending on weather. If roads are blocked and unmaintained, the best transport would be 4 legged.

The family that was raising fish and plants in a swimming pool does not need such stuff.

If your thinking you will need flintlocks you must be thinking we would return to the dark ages.

I don't think they had flintlocks in the Dark Ages. :lol:

You planning on making your own gunpowder and bullets.

Easily done actually. A number of people on this forum do it already.

There are an awful lot of rounds of ammo out there. But how many do you own is the real question once bugged.

If you have to be on the move and carry ammo, that will be a problem. And finding it when everybody else wants it will also be tricky. Grocery stores and gunshops will be the first to be looted.

I did see some bow and arrows. More quiet less attention.

If they can grow wheat they can make flour and bread.

It would indeed be a very long outage of "civilization" to run out of rounds if well stocked.

Personally I think most of these folks have watched too many Mad Max movies. :lol:

Gotta go dig a bunker now...oops I meant wine cellar. :unsure:

I went to an estate sales some decade back and I remember seeing lots of commercial size canned peaches. Cans and cans of them. I asked the sellers what was the story behind them. He said that this was the product of the 50's and 60's when his grandparents were preparing for a nuclear attack. They also had a underground shelter. Note the word shelter and not bunker. I guess the West Texas soil is not meant for digging deep unless you plan to strike oil.

I went to an estate sales some decade back and I remember seeing lots of commercial size canned peaches. Cans and cans of them. I asked the sellers what was the story behind them. He said that this was the product of the 50's and 60's when his grandparents were preparing for a nuclear attack. They also had a underground shelter. Note the word shelter and not bunker. I guess the West Texas soil is not meant for digging deep unless you plan to strike oil.

Yeah they were shelters back in the day. A Nuc attack was they only thing folks were concerned with. Just go down in your shelter, duck and cover, read some books and eat canned goods for a few weeks and everything will be fine. You just have to put up with the screams of your neighbors as they beat on the shelter door. :wacko::rolleyes: Living in South Florida during the Missile Crisis we had a stock of food just in case..

Archived