SASS Wire Forum

Is this the correct way to shoot this stage?

Dakota Brown

I normally shoot gunfighter, but the stage called for a split pistol string.

Here's the stage as written: 10-10-2; Pistols holstered, shotgun staged vertical on rack at position 1. Shooter starts at position 1 with rifle at cowboy port arms. At the beep, with rifle, alternate between R1 and R2 for 10. Stage open and empty rifle vertical on rack. Pick up shotgun and move forward to position 2. RESTAGE shotgun vertical on rack at position 2. With 1st pistol, engage pistol targets in a Nevada sweep. Holster. Pick up shotgun and engage S1 and S2. Restage shotgun, then with 2nd pistol, engage pistol targets in a Neveda sweep. End of stage.

My question: As a double duelist, would it be legal for me just to hang on to my shotgun when I got to position 2,and not restage it vertical, switching it between hands as I shot my pistols-shotgun-pistol string? The part where it said "Restage shotgun vertical on rack at position 2", hit my mind during the stage and made me pause and restaged my shotgun-the stage ended up in a total train wreck anyways! :blink:

Waiting to hear from the experts :blush:

DB :FlagAm:

Since the stage instructions said to restage the shotgun, that leaves no wiggle room in my opinion. If it has just said make shotgun safe...then maybe.

The actual word written was "Place shotgun on rack. . .", which to me meant "restage"! :o Got it, Thanks :)

The actual word written was "Place shotgun on rack. . .", which to me meant "restage"! :o Got it, Thanks :)

It does.

General recommendation: When posting WtC? questions, the EXACT stage verbiage is most helpful in obtaining a correct answer.

Sometimes it is critical...in this case it is not. ;)

The wording that would have allowed your actions would be something like,

"Pickup shotgun and move to position 2. Make shotgun safe, then with 1st pistol, engage pistol targets in a Nevada sweep. Holster. With shotgun engage S1 and S2. Make shotgun safe, then with 2nd pistol, engage pistol targets in a Neveda sweep."

Shame with all that wording taking options out of the shooters hands.

Hate stage writing like that.

Yep. +1. Don't need the words "holster" after either revolver is shot, either.

And carrying the shotgun from one position to another without using it at some position seems rather pointless, too. Unless there was real danger in hitting the shotgun with a rifle shot or splash. Is this a shooting contest or practice restaging guns?

Good luck, GJ

I normally shoot gunfighter, but the stage called for a split pistol string.

Here's the stage as written: 10-10-2; Pistols holstered, shotgun staged vertical on rack at position 1. Shooter starts at position 1 with rifle at cowboy port arms. At the beep, with rifle, alternate between R1 and R2 for 10. Stage open and empty rifle vertical on rack. Pick up shotgun and move forward to position 2. RESTAGE shotgun vertical on rack at position 2. With 1st pistol, engage pistol targets in a Nevada sweep. Holster. Pick up shotgun and engage S1 and S2. Restage shotgun, then with 2nd pistol, engage pistol targets in a Neveda sweep. End of stage.

My question: As a double duelist, would it be legal for me just to hang on to my shotgun when I got to position 2,and not restage it vertical, switching it between hands as I shot my pistols-shotgun-pistol string? The part where it said "Restage shotgun vertical on rack at position 2", hit my mind during the stage and made me pause and restaged my shotgun-the stage ended up in a total train wreck anyways! :blink:

Waiting to hear from the experts :blush:

Hang on for a second.

"Restage" and "Place shotgun on rack" are two entirely different instructions.

I read "Restage" as placing the gun in position like I would prior to a stage. I.e. the gun could sit in its resting spot without my hand on it or any additional supports.

But place shotgun on rack? To me, that means only that the shotgun would have to be in contact with the rack.

And if you are shooting your pistols from the same position - neither direction requires that you would have to ever release your grasp on the shotgun.

And before we argue the meaning of the word "on" - on does not mean fully supported by.

We start with hands on table all the time, it doesn't mean your full weight has to be fully supported by the table, just that you are touching it.

What does ":rolleyes:" mean in the context of a comment regarding that "interpretation" of the stage instructions?

dry.gif

Palewolf,

Isn't it obvious?

It means that sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

:P

It's clear to me that the sg goes back in the rack after shooting it. Leaving your hand on it would be inconsequential.

Split pistol stages of this nature are .......totally insensitive....(I strugggle for words here) to those shooting the Gunfighter category. They add nothing to the stage and take the Gunfighter out of category.

The worst of stage writing examples!

Archived