SASS Wire Forum

Response to sound of break in?

We have had a lot of discussion lately on how to handle a break in. You wake up in the night and hear someone pounding on your door like they are trying to get in. I believe the concensus is that we would first grab a gun (I would) before finding out what the ruckus is all about.

Here is a report from KKTV News, Colorado Springs, that will give us pause concerning what we do next after getting armed:

"A Springs family is safe Friday morning after a close call.

They had settled in for the night--having no idea their house was on fire. Thanks to the actions of people driving by, the family was able to escape unharmed.

A pair was driving past the home on the 1000 block of Jet Wing when they noticed something seemed a little off: smoke was drifting across the roadway. Concerned, the two turned around to see where the smoke was coming from, and spotted flames coming from the attic of a home. The Good Samaritans raced over to the house and began pounding on the door to wake everyone up inside.

"We were asleep, and one of the neighbors was driving by and saw smoke coming from the vent," Salvador Gonzalez said.

"I was sleeping and my dad was yelling at us to get up, so we all came out running," Melania Gonzalez said.

Thanks to their quick thinking, the five members of the Gonzalez family--and their dog--all made it out of the house before fire crews arrived on scene.

Firefighters tell 11 News that the family wasn't alerted to the fire sooner, because it started above the smoke detectors inside the home. The cause has been determined to be a seized motor in the bathroom exhaust fan, which caused materials around the fan to catch in fire.

"We couldn't smell it," Gonzalez said about the smoke. "The door was closed in the bathroom and smoke was blowing out of the vents.

Crews were able to prevent the fire from spreading further in the home, and extinguished it quickly. The Fire Department reports that the family incurred $3,000 in structural damage, and were not displaced."

As always: KNOW YOUR TARGET.

Keep safe, compadres!

eGG

A guy who used to work for the same company I do lost his house about a year ago because of a bathroom exhaust fan. This is still another reminder not to leave that sort of thing switched on when you're not around...

And always find out why someone is pounding on your door before you pull a trigger...

Remember this thread?

Yeah. That's why I posted.

One of the (many) things that I like about SASS is how anal we are about safety. And while I am pretty sure that none of us would commit the error of firing through the door, it never hurts to see a real life example from time to time.

Cuidado, compadres ~

eGG

Yep, got a wakeup at 1 am once. Snubnose in hand I went to the door (snubby behind my back as I opened the door). It was a police officer (snubby immediately went onto a chest near the door), they were evacuating the neighborhood due to a gas leak. Gotta be aware, even at 1 am.

Barry Sloe

Archived