SASS Wire Forum

Marine treated with respect

U.B.,

The point I am trying to make, very poorly I might add based on the emotional responses here, is the Marines (and any other vet) in articles like this are being treated with disrespect by the media. I feel, maybe because of the way my brother and his friends were treated when they came back to the states, that when articles are printed portraying someone with serious mental health issues as a former vet they are painting all former vets as possible nut jobs which is clearly not the case.

However upon reflection I can see your point. Maybe these stories, true or not, are doing a good thing by making sure the public doesn't forget about the issues servicemen are facing when they return. My brother told me when he came back to the states he could not walk down the street in uniform in San Francisco without being cursed and spit on. We talked to a friend yesterday who is divorcing her husband because he has come back for the sandbox a changed man. They are both nice people too.

You are also correct that I way overstepped by calling him psychotic as only a doctor can make that diagnosis. What I should have said is based on the article he may be exhibiting pschotic symptoms. I was just trying to be brief.

"Psychosis, or a psychotic disorder, is believed to be more of a symptom than a diagnosis. As a psychiatric term, psychosis refers to any mental state that impairs thought, perception, and judgement. Psychotic episodes might affect a person with or without a mental disease. A person experiencing a psychotic episode might hallucinate, become paranoid, or experience a change in personality.

Generally speaking, the psychotic state is not permanent. Psychotic behavior differs from psychopathic behavior, and psychotic episodes rarely involve the violence associated with psychopathic behavior. Psychotic is also not the same as insane, which is both a medical and a legal description for a person who cannot be held accountable for his or her actions."

Also my experience with mental health cases has been in the Criminal Justice system and you can argue successfully that the prison population is much different than vets. So I concede to your judgement and experience.

As for PTSD I believe it is very real. My father-in-law is 80 years old, saw combat in Korea, and still has nightmares about the bombing mission when they were almost shot down and he often cries in his sleep about dropping bombs on innocent civilians. So I very much believe in PTSD. I don't necessary like the way solders are pulled out of combat and sent back to real world but again that is my just opinion.

Anyway I do think it is important that issues returning vets face are not forgot about like happen in Vietnam. Thank you for your arguements as it allowed me to see the other side of the coin and a chance to reconsider some of my thoughts.

p.s. Did I really say wimp? Man I was off base that day. :angry:

First off Vets don't receive free medical...They paid more for it than a civilian ever will or will ever know.

Strange my daughter gets free medical care. Maybe because of her service connected injuries???

As someone with a lot of experience in the mental health field, you must not have been a professional because professionals don't care for the word "lunie" and when you use it it kills your credibility.

I know. It is some bad slang I picked up from the Big House. I like to call LEO's "coppers" also so I guess that means I have never been one.

And lastly Oswald was not the greatest sniper in history (research WWII snipers and counter snipers) he just had the highest profile target.

I was referring to the line R. Lee Emry used in Full Metal Jacket.

You seem to be doing some pretty good sensationalized journalism yourself.

Nah. I'm a piker when it comes to lying.

First off Vets don't receive free medical...They paid more for it than a civilian ever will or will ever know.

Strange my daughter gets free medical care. Maybe because of her service connected injuries???

Yes she doesn't have to pay now but she already paid...that is my point

And lastly Oswald was not the greatest sniper in history (research WWII snipers and counter snipers) he just had the highest profile target.

I was referring to the line R. Lee Emry used in Full Metal Jacket.

Sorry missed the connection.

FWIW your last post was a lot easier to read well thought out with facts and lacking the "triggers" that caused the emotional reactions. It is hard to tell that the post came from the same person.

Doug

U.B.,

The point I am trying to make, very poorly I might add based on the emotional responses here, is the Marines (and any other vet) in articles like this are being treated with disrespect by the media. I feel, maybe because of the way my brother and his friends were treated when they came back to the states, that when articles are printed portraying someone with serious mental health issues as a former vet they are painting all former vets as possible nut jobs which is clearly not the case.

However upon reflection I can see your point. Maybe these stories, true or not, are doing a good thing by making sure the public doesn't forget about the issues servicemen are facing when they return. My brother told me when he came back to the states he could not walk down the street in uniform in San Francisco without being cursed and spit on. We talked to a friend yesterday who is divorcing her husband because he has come back for the sandbox a changed man. They are both nice people too.

You are also correct that I way overstepped by calling him psychotic as only a doctor can make that diagnosis. What I should have said is based on the article he may be exhibiting pschotic symptoms. I was just trying to be brief.

"Psychosis, or a psychotic disorder, is believed to be more of a symptom than a diagnosis. As a psychiatric term, psychosis refers to any mental state that impairs thought, perception, and judgement. Psychotic episodes might affect a person with or without a mental disease. A person experiencing a psychotic episode might hallucinate, become paranoid, or experience a change in personality.

Generally speaking, the psychotic state is not permanent. Psychotic behavior differs from psychopathic behavior, and psychotic episodes rarely involve the violence associated with psychopathic behavior. Psychotic is also not the same as insane, which is both a medical and a legal description for a person who cannot be held accountable for his or her actions."

Also my experience with mental health cases has been in the Criminal Justice system and you can argue successfully that the prison population is much different than vets. So I concede to your judgement and experience.

As for PTSD I believe it is very real. My father-in-law is 80 years old, saw combat in Korea, and still has nightmares about the bombing mission when they were almost shot down and he often cries in his sleep about dropping bombs on innocent civilians. So I very much believe in PTSD. I don't necessary like the way solders are pulled out of combat and sent back to real world but again that is my just opinion.

Anyway I do think it is important that issues returning vets face are not forgot about like happen in Vietnam. Thank you for your arguements as it allowed me to see the other side of the coin and a chance to reconsider some of my thoughts.

p.s. Did I really say wimp? Man I was off base that day. :angry:

Thank you, nice response....

And yer right I was not a marine, I was a 'tactical' MP assigned to the 9th Infantry division....

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Yes she doesn't have to pay now but she already paid...that is my point

Most excellent comment. I completely missed your point. Duh! And dealing with the VA is a pita for her.

I was referring to the line R. Lee Emery used in Full Metal Jacket.

Sorry missed the connection.

Nah. It is a old movie. Heck, R. Lee Emery looked old even in that movie.

FWIW your last post was a lot easier to read well thought out with facts and lacking the "triggers" that caused the emotional reactions. It is hard to tell that the post came from the same person.

I often fail to explain myself as well as I should in the interest of being brief. I also tend to be blunt and I rarely suger coat my comments. (Except depending on whom I am trying to impress. I know, I know, shameless apple polishing. :P

Archived