SASS Wire Forum

1911 WWI

Smoken D

Any opinions on the Texas Jacks 1911 WWI or info on it?

Texas Jacks 1911 WWI

You want info? I have info :)

It is made by Armsor to Cimarron's specs. Cimarron is calling it a 1911A1, but the frame is 1911, not A1 (no bevels behind the trigger). Authentic WW1 features are the frame, long trigger (although the pic on Tx Jacks website doesn't really look to me like a long trigger??), patent dates in correct font, flat smooth mainspring housing, lanyard ring, small sights, and double-diamond grips. But it has the 1924 (A1) grip safety with the longer tang, more modern thumb safety, and the ejection port is lowered compared to originals (but doesn't have the "flare" at the rear like modern guns). These non-authentic features do make it more user friendly, I guess kind of like the Italians adding gas rings to Opentops. No Series-80 firing pin safety stuff. Also, I think the hammer spur on originals is wider. Lifetime warranty from Armscor and Colt parts compliant. Good gun for Wild Bunch Traditional.

If you were thinking of ordering one from Texas Jacks and having it shipped to your FFL, you might consider just having your FFL order directly from Cimarron. Might save a few bucks depending on how much he marks it up and/or how much he charges for a transfer.

As for opinion, I like my nickled model . The polishing and plating is done by Ford Plating in Florida. I've only had it a few weeks.

Looks good to me, at a decent price. Hard to tell, is it the typical matt black finish or closer to original WW1?

The parkerized model that Smoken D linked to is the typical flat dark gray finish, which I guess didn't come about until WW2?. Later than WW1, anyway. They have a high-polish blued (black) model which is I think actually higher polish than the originals, really gorgeous. Of course, that and the nickled model cost more.

Armscor is a company in the Phillipines. They make 1911's for Rock Island, Charles Daly, and others.

----as in foreign as was stated above. No foreign guns for me.

I don't really consider the Philippines "foreign" as they had been a US Territory from 1904 until the mid seventies. Many of our boys fought along side the Filipino troops and their blood stained Philippine soil and hundreds if not thousands are buried there. They learned about the 1911 by using it in WWII and Armscor makes a fine gun at a very reasonable price.I own two. I just wish they'd start making a '97 & an '87. They'd probably be a lot better right out of the box than the Chinese guns.

Oh BTW Abilene, Charles Daly went belly up about two years ago so they are no more.

Sorry kunnel suh but the Phillipines were never an official US territory more of a sort of protectorated gray area land. True we pretty much occupied it from the Spanish-American war up until WW II but it never had official territorial status, I do not believe. After WW II, in gratitude to a true and faithful ally they were allowed to be fully independent and had been for decades by the 1970s.

Anyhoo, back to the topic, Armscor has been making 1911s for at least 60 years or so now and have become quite good at it. I'm very fond of my Rock Island.

Well I went over to Wikipedia and the history of the Phillipines gets very interesting. After the Span-Am war, according to the writers at Wiki, it was either referred to as a commonwealth or an "insular area", whatever that means, occupied and administered by the U.S. Filipinos did not have US citizenship as did the inhabitants of other US commonwealths such as Puerto Rico, etc. Confusing and interesting. One thing for sure they gained full and complete independence at the end of WW II so had been so for 3 decades by the 1970s.

Smoken D -

I have two Armscor-made Rock Island Armory's, a 3.5" and a 5" for Wild Bunch. They're as fine a 1911 as I'll ever need, plus a lifetime warranty and great customer service. Now I don't know about the customer service first hand - never needed it - but from all I've read it is top notch!

Good comments thanks, I was thinking of getting one. Out here in the country FFL sometimes does it for free or maybe $10 on transfers. Depends on mood I catch him in :lol:

Now, how do they shoot??

Good comments thanks, I was thinking of getting one. Out here in the country FFL sometimes does it for free or maybe $10 on transfers. Depends on mood I catch him in :lol:

Now, how do they shoot??

I have shot mine a bunch, and had only one failure to feed. That was due to a poorly crafted reload that got past my check gauge.

My gunsmith has years of experience building competition 1911s. He has taken mine apart and given it a critical eye check. His comment was that it's not a bullseye target pistol, but it is a excellent mil spec combat pistol designed to work all the time.

What is the best price anyone has found on a high polish blue model? Saw one at a gunshow a couple of weeks ago for $679.

Texas Jack's ad in the February Cowboy Chronicle has them for $599.

I have a Taylor's it is great I've put 700 rounds thur it with out a problem. I would not be on the other end of it when it goes off.

I shoot lead and full metal jackets. The gun hits every thing i aim at. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JHP

Well, thanks everyone! My new Polished Blue should be here tomorrow. Of course before the dies get here :( Already have brass/bullets...Oh well!

Sorry kunnel suh but the Phillipines were never an official US territory more of a sort of protectorated gray area land. True we pretty much occupied it from the Spanish-American war up until WW II but it never had official territorial status, I do not believe. After WW II, in gratitude to a true and faithful ally they were allowed to be fully independent and had been for decades by the 1970s.

Anyhoo, back to the topic, Armscor has been making 1911s for at least 60 years or so now and have become quite good at it. I'm very fond of my Rock Island.

Between Spanish-American War and WW II the Phillipines was administered as an "Insular Area".

This term means that it is an "unincorporated territory".

• 7 months later...

I don't really consider the Philippines "foreign" as they had been a US Territory from 1904 until the mid seventies. Many of our boys fought along side the Filipino troops and their blood stained Philippine soil and hundreds if not thousands are buried there. They learned about the 1911 by using it in WWII and Armscor makes a fine gun at a very reasonable price.I own two. I just wish they'd start making a '97 & an '87. They'd probably be a lot better right out of the box than the Chinese guns.

Oh BTW Abilene, Charles Daly went belly up about two years ago so they are no more.

As of the SHOT Show held in Las Vegas in January, 2012, Charles Daly and CD DEFENSE have announced their return to the US market with distribution by Trans World Arms LLC of Harrisburg, PA.Just looked it up.Google Charles Daly.

I had a High Standard version of this gun and other than being a bit rough/grainy and magazine picky, it done its job well. I sold it and purchased a Colt WW1 repro, a swap I do not regret BUT I wish I had kept both. I am sure that a good smith could have made the HS equal to the Colt and might have done it at a slight savings. Even the Colt Repro could stand a bit of smoothing. I think High Standard might have gone under?? as I have not seen any more of them in the area and remember something about them not paying their bills being circulated on the WWW?

I'd look for a Springfield 1911-A1 if I were you. I just picked up one fer $385.00 used. Has the Mil-Spec sights and lanyard ring and shoots way better than I do!

:) Rye

I have to agree with the recommendation for the Springfield. I have sold a lot of the Armscorp guns. Some are pretty good and some have had trouble. In either case, the military sights on the base models are mighty small. I bought a Springfield Milspec and the sights are way better. My gun was assembled in the US (on an Brazilian frame and slide) and its nice. But hey, if I want to shoot a true military style 1911, I just use my 1937 Colt commercial. :D

I am seriously considering one of these as well. Buds currently has them for $457. For that price it seems like it would be hard to go too far wrong.. Anyone shoot one enough to offer a reasonable evaluation?

The only thing I did with mine was install a full length guide rod from Wilson combat. Shot excellent groups but about 4 inches low. I slowly filed the front sight down till I got dead on for point of aim. For a new inexpensive original part 1911 like I carried, I am satisfied. Not a decked out pretty race gun, but a lot of fun to shoot and no hick-up's.

Archived