SASS Wire Forum

The show American Guns I find a joke

Neches 50502

I laughed my butt of when the owner Dude got 'blowback' all over his face from the 'new' '66. What dumbass gunsmith wouldn't check headspace before shooting the thing?

...I can't stand looking at the wife with her walleye'd tits and horse teeth, and the daughter- seems like she's being pimped out for the show to me...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I laughed my butt of when the owner Dude got 'blowback' all over his face from the 'new' '66. What dumbass gunsmith wouldn't check headspace before shooting the thing?

...I can't stand looking at the wife with her walleye'd tits and horse teeth, and the daughter- seems like she's being pimped out for the show to me...

Amen Brother !

Well Said :blink:

I don't think the test fire was for real. Surely even these idiots know better than that. I think it's just a made up cliff-hanger deal to add drama right before a commercial.

Cash

People, people, people...... it's a television show, of course it's not real. There's a big difference between a reality show and a documentary.

Both this show and Sons of Guns received a ton of bad reviews from gun guys. Reason is, is that they are made for entertaining the masses. It's Hollywood. Not meant to be real. I watch both shows as it beats the snot out of most reality shows or fear factor. People eating bugs, throwing them up into a glass, and then trying to eat the vomit. :wacko:

Bring back Bonanza, Big Valley, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, any of the westerns from yesteryear.

First, let me qualify myself here. I do not watch TV. I gave that up 18 months ago.

I haven't seen American Guns. Some of the guys in my Gunsmith course talk about that show. Same with Sons Of Guns.

That being said, I did catch one episode of SOG in the hotel while I was at the S.H.O.T. show last month. I could actually

feel my IQ lowering and blood boiling. It was the AR episode where the owner was trying to get a government contract for

nuclear powerplant security. Or something.

Seems to me, if you're angling for a Govt. contract, you don't hand the project off to one of your hired chuckleheads. You

keep your eyes on it the whole step of the way. And as for telling your staff to finish the job while I skip off to Vegas

to chum it up with my pals, well, that dog just don't hunt (in my opinion). What really got me was two things. One guy slaps

the rifle together and tells the other to ship it. Some chain of responsibility there.

The guy stuffs it in a $25.00 rifle case and ships it. Really? If that were my operation, the case would have been armor plated

and cost more than the rifle. You don't ship a one-off, potential contract example in a cheapo case. Only to have it arriving

looking like the delivery truck backed over it.

Then, some all-important part that makes it work properly wasn't installed. So they "tear" the shop apart looking for it, and

magically "find" it on the floor under a bench. Please Discovery Channel, give me some credit here. So then the owner says to

overnight it to Vegas. Again, if it were that important, I'd have told them to go directly to the airport with the part in their

hand, get on the next flight to Vegas and I'll meet you at the gate.

I wonder if they ever did get the contract?

Now, I know what you're all thinking - it's just a (un)reality show and to sit back and relax. Sometimes, I really should. Just

gets me to thinking (dangerous, I know) that our industry/sport is under constant attack by those who would deny it from us. Do

we really need this type of exposure?

However, to balance out the world in general, I did get the chance to meet the Knight family from Knights Taxidermy/Mounted in Alaska.

They are without a doubt the nicest people you can meet. We spent about 20 minutes talking with them. Makes me wish I could watch

their show. I'd love to see some of their work someday.

Okay, I'm done. I'll git off'n the soapbox now....

I'm with Doc Flimshaw. Its entertainment and it exposes the FUN side of this hobby. The more people that watch the less they may feel leary about people who LIKE guns.! And on another note, if I were younger, I'd ask Paige to marry me..push up bra and all. After she CAN shoot!

Ok I've held my tongue on this for a while now. I know the show is not without faults and the reality of it or lack of in some cases is what it is. The fact is its not going to appeal to everyone. However they are helping to support our second amendment rights. They are trying to show guns in a positive way not a negative way. I have talked with the casting director as well as the producer of the show and they know it's outlandish in some areas but they do have a much larger market to appeal to other than cowboy action shooters. They are trying to appeal to the ones that are more on the fence about guns in hopes of showing the positive side and that guns can be fun and safe and not just used to do drive bys etc. This is the true mission of the show. There has to be fluff in order to appeal to a wider market. You need to understand that this show is not about the build of the guns it's more about building a positive outlook on gun ownership. You should accept that and look beyond the unrealities in technical areas and see that at least it's a show trying to appeal to more non gun owners in hopes of swaying their opinions thus helping to support or 2nd amendment rights. In my opinion instead of blasting this show it should be embraced by us as gun owners.

That being said, yes it's true that me and Rattlesnake are supposed to do an episode of the show. The main motivation as it was explained to me will not be about the build. It will be about how positive guns in the hands of youth isn't all bad that there are young people that respect, collect and compete at a high level. They are also wanting to focus on families participating in a shooting sport and the positive impact it has. They also want to help showcase Cowboy Action Shooting with this episode. So before you continue to tear them down please think about what I've written here. Think also about them supporting our sport and our 2nd amendment rights. I for one hope like hell they don't see this thread and think that all of us think the same way about the show. At least they are trying to support us whether or not we support them.

That's my thoughts anyway and I respect all of your opinions. I just wanted to try and give you a different perspective of the show based on what I know of it.

Colt

I think it's admirable what they're trying to do. But with all due respect, I think they're too close to see that they're really making a mess of things. It's not just the cowboy shooters who are gabbing about the show either. I believe it's more widespread than that (on the couple of boards I belong to the attitude is the same as here so I expect there are many more but I can't say that for a fact).

If this doesn't irrepairably damage Gunsmoke's business, I'd be surprised. There will be curious people, of course, who will go to the store. But for the average gun owner like me, it's a turn-off that he comes across with this huge ego and bully attitude towards some buyers and sellers. Who in the world would want to contemplate doing business with a person like that? I've seen a side of the owners that I simply don't like and it's enough to keep me out of their store permanently. If that's just fluff, I'd say it's caustic fluff.

And likewise, I respect your opinion. Thank you for bringing another view to this thread.

I think it's admirable what they're trying to do. But with all due respect, I think they're too close to see that they're really making a mess of things. It's not just the cowboy shooters who are gabbing about the show either. I believe it's more widespread than that (on the couple of boards I belong to the attitude is the same as here so I expect there are many more but I can't say that for a fact).

If this doesn't irrepairably damage Gunsmoke's business, I'd be surprised. There will be curious people, of course, who will go to the store. But for the average gun owner like me, it's a turn-off that he comes across with this huge ego and bully attitude towards some buyers and sellers. Who in the world would want to contemplate doing business with a person like that? I've seen a side of the owners that I simply don't like and it's enough to keep me out of their store permanently. If that's just fluff, I'd say it's caustic fluff.

And likewise, I respect your opinion. Thank you for bringing another view to this thread.

I understand exactly what you're talking about and like I said its not perfect by any stretch. I could do without the ego as well. I think a more humble approach would be better. We will see where it goes I guess.

I understand exactly what you're talking about and like I said its not perfect by any stretch. I could do without the ego as well. I think a more humble approach would be better. We will see where it goes I guess.

Colt,

I (and I'm sure nearly all in SASS) wish you and RW the best in this, and that your participation in the show is as well presented as you intend it to be.

Personally, I think the show has largely portrayed our firearms community in a marginal or poor light and fed existing opinions and prejudices of the anti's. Sincerely hope you can help change that and influence the producers and directors "vision".

You got guts takin' it on, good luck to ya. :)

Harvey

Colt,

I (and I'm sure nearly all in SASS) wish you and RW the best in this, and that your participation in the show is as well presented as you intend it to be.

Personally, I think the show has largely portrayed our firearms community in a marginal or poor light and fed existing opinions and prejudices of the anti's. Sincerely hope you can help change that and influence the producers and directors "vision".

You got guts takin' it on, good luck to ya. :)

Harvey

I agree with Harvey. I think if the producers saw these comments maybe they would tone down the negative stuff. Good luck on the show and here's hoping you have a positive influence too.

Sorry, Im new around these parts, but why would the Producers/Casting director be asking Colt and Rattlesnake to do an episode of this show? Are they legendary SASS shooters or something? Just wondering Thanlks

I agree it is an 'unreality' show and in some obtuse way,May promote shooting sports.However,in spite of it's many misinformational mistakes, the prices they quote for their work and guns is absolutely ridiculous!Nobody in their right mind would pay their prices. That alone would negate anything positive the show might have.Their pricing alone would turn off a new shooter!

It's all about the ratings, that's all. If their numbers are good it will be more of the same.

I agree it is an 'unreality' show and in some obtuse way,May promote shooting sports.However,in spite of it's many misinformational mistakes, the prices they quote for their work and guns is absolutely ridiculous!Nobody in their right mind would pay their prices. That alone would negate anything positive the show might have.Their pricing alone would turn off a new shooter!

Shorty I agree with you on the quoted prices being crazy. The first time I saw the show I felt the same.

Again I respect everyone's opinion here and will keep all this in mind.

The show does appeal to a younger demographic and when an episode was offered to us I felt it would be a good way to showcase CAS to young people using Rattlesnake as the catalyst for this. I have every intention of doing our best to promote our sport with this opportunity. I know the show is not perfect and neither are we however it does reach a large audience. I obviously have no control on the direction of the show itself or the personalities on the show. However we will do our best to make our sport look good and look fun to others. If I see that it's not going to go that way then I will back away from it.

I guess the only other thing I would say is if you don't like it don't watch it. There's lots of stuff I don't like on tv. Thank goodness for having lots of choices out there right.

I wish you all the best!

Colt

If one of the requirements to be on the show is to go along with pretending to buy a custom gun, made by them, for $10,000, even though you are not actually going to pay that kind of money. Will you go along with that so that you can be on the show? If you are on the show, will it be as an actor, following their script, or as a customer walking in the door looking for something in particular? Smokin Gator

Shorty I agree with you on the quoted prices being crazy. The first time I saw the show I felt the same.

The show does appeal to a younger demographic and when an episode was offered to us I felt it would be a good way to showcase CAS to young people using Rattlesnake as the catalyst for this. I have every intention of doing our best to promote our sport with this opportunity. I know the show is not perfect and neither are we however it does reach a large audience. I obviously have no control on the direction of the show itself or the personalities on the show. However we will do our best to make our sport look good and look fun to others. If I see that it's not going to go that way then I will back away from it.

I guess the only other thing I would say is if you don't like it don't watch it. There's lots of stuff I don't like on tv. Thank goodness for having lots of choices out there right.

I wish you all the best!

Colt

How are you going to know which way it going to go until it airs ?

"Some things on last season were a bit much but I let it slide. It really angers me to see the guy buy & sell collectable guns from customers. I can't stand it when he lays down bundles of cash as an "incentive" to the sellers when he is paying them 50% of what their collections are worth. Especially after flying in on a helicopter to make the deal! He expects someone with a $50,000 collection to go weak in the knees when they see $20k in cash?"

+1 on that! Don't let the door hit him in the Xss as I kick him out!

"Some things on last season were a bit much but I let it slide. It really angers me to see the guy buy & sell collectable guns from customers. I can't stand it when he lays down bundles of cash as an "incentive" to the sellers when he is paying them 50% of what their collections are worth. Especially after flying in on a helicopter to make the deal! He expects someone with a $50,000 collection to go weak in the knees when they see $20k in cash?"

+1 on that! Don't let the door hit him in the Xss as I kick him out!

I couldn't have said it better myself. Adios Sgt. Jake

We haven't done the filming on the show yet and we are working out the details. That's all I can say right now about it.

I really appreciate all of your opinions and will keep them all in mind.

If it's not about "the build", but to show gun ownership in a good light, why are the firearms they sell (build), thousands of $$$ more than what the general public would pay. If I saw the show, without knowing prices, I'd think owning a firearm was WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

JMHO

TF

By the way, I don't and won't watch that crap show anymoreI think it gives prospective gun enters an awful picture of the retail Firerms industryAs an FFL Class III Dealer,it just pisses me off to watch it..so I don't

Same with Red Jacket,also idiotic.....makes people think you can buy a Class III machine gun or suppressor Without discussing NFA Regs,Form 4's or anything else relevant to legality.Very misleading also

Ok I've held my tongue on this for a while now. I know the show is not without faults and the reality of it or lack of in some cases is what it is. The fact is its not going to appeal to everyone. However they are helping to support our second amendment rights. They are trying to show guns in a positive way not a negative way. I have talked with the casting director as well as the producer of the show and they know it's outlandish in some areas but they do have a much larger market to appeal to other than cowboy action shooters. They are trying to appeal to the ones that are more on the fence about guns in hopes of showing the positive side and that guns can be fun and safe and not just used to do drive bys etc. This is the true mission of the show. There has to be fluff in order to appeal to a wider market. You need to understand that this show is not about the build of the guns it's more about building a positive outlook on gun ownership. You should accept that and look beyond the unrealities in technical areas and see that at least it's a show trying to appeal to more non gun owners in hopes of swaying their opinions thus helping to support or 2nd amendment rights. In my opinion instead of blasting this show it should be embraced by us as gun owners.

That being said, yes it's true that me and Rattlesnake are supposed to do an episode of the show. The main motivation as it was explained to me will not be about the build. It will be about how positive guns in the hands of youth isn't all bad that there are young people that respect, collect and compete at a high level. They are also wanting to focus on families participating in a shooting sport and the positive impact it has. They also want to help showcase Cowboy Action Shooting with this episode. So before you continue to tear them down please think about what I've written here. Think also about them supporting our sport and our 2nd amendment rights. I for one hope like hell they don't see this thread and think that all of us think the same way about the show. At least they are trying to support us whether or not we support them.

That's my thoughts anyway and I respect all of your opinions. I just wanted to try and give you a different perspective of the show based on what I know of it.

Colt

I beg to disagree with you, just because a show is some what about guns does not make it good publicity for the firearms community.

This guy is an egotistical ass who has essentially whored his just barely clad and barely legal daughter out for that fluff. Is he really the image we want public to have of gun owners?

The show is full of mis-information, bad information, misrepresentation and down right lies, again is this the picture we want to show to the non shooting public?

Cheating people, unsafe gun handling, shooting at glass in wilderness areas are not values that we need or want as responsible gun owners.

This show does a great disservice to the shooting public, it is a liability not an asset

Sorry, Im new around these parts, but why would the Producers/Casting director be asking Colt and Rattlesnake to do an episode of this show? Are they legendary SASS shooters or something? Just wondering Thanlks

Yes. Check out Colt's posts on this wire a check out the video of RW shooting some stages. RW is "legendary" fast. ;)

I can watch Sons of Guns now. American Guns makes it look like an Emmy winner by comparison. :lol:

At least the people seem genuine.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I wish you all the best!

Colt

I'd watch it. I have told many of my non cowboy friends about your boy and the positive role model he is for other young shooters.

Archived