SASS Wire Forum

Home defense scenario, opinions wanted

Pulp, SASS#28319

How many will not flee after they have been shot dead?

Zombies!

Better them than my family or myself, and I could live with the consequences, but I sure it would have a long term effect on me.

Pulp, of course it will. You wouldn't be human if it didn't effect you. On the other hand, just think how it would effect you if it was one of your family members instead and you hadn't been able to do anything about it. That's the kind of long term effect that I couldn't live with.

Pulp,

Your questions strongly suggest to me that you are not comfortable with using a firearm to stop a home intruder. You are looking for written data to help convince you of your position.

The best source to answer your questions in Post 1 is in The Armed Citizen column in the The American Rifleman. It documents incidents where a firearm was displayed or used to stop a intruder or attacker.

Second you need to realize any handgun is a poor and often unrelible stopper. I have never understood the one-stop shot way of thinking. In a revolver there is anywhere from 4 - 7 additional rounds. A autoloader up to 16 addition rounds. What this means is if forced to shoot you have plenty of ammunition to keep shooting until the threat is down.

Finally you seemed to have convinced yourself if you do use lethal force you will be racked by guilt and nightmares the rest of your life. Friend I spent over 20 years working in a male adult prison and if I told you what felons really think of people like you you would call me a flat-out liar. Not that I blame you either so that is why I don't discuss it. Sufficent to say that a intruder that is intent on harming you and your family will not have any nightmares or remorse.

You didn't say what the crime rate and how many home invasions occur in your community. You can hardened your home with better entry doors, better locks, a alarm system and a big dog that will your kids climb all over him but he will defend if he thinks they are in danger. Lets face it owning a firearm doesn't mean the owner will use it.

Pulp,

Your questions strongly suggest to me that you are not comfortable with using a firearm to stop a home intruder. You are looking for written data to help convince you of your position.

The best source to answer your questions in Post 1 is in The Armed Citizen column in the The American Rifleman. It documents incidents where a firearm was displayed or used to stop a intruder or attacker.

Second you need to realize any handgun is a poor and often unrelible stopper. I have never understood the one-stop shot way of thinking. In a revolver there is anywhere from 4 - 7 additional rounds. A autoloader up to 16 addition rounds. What this means is if forced to shoot you have plenty of ammunition to keep shooting until the threat is down.

Finally you seemed to have convinced yourself if you do use lethal force you will be racked by guilt and nightmares the rest of your life. Friend I spent over 20 years working in a male adult prison and if I told you what felons really think of people like you you would call me a flat-out liar. Not that I blame you either so that is why I don't discuss it. Sufficent to say that a intruder that is intent on harming you and your family will not have any nightmares or remorse.

You didn't say what the crime rate and how many home invasions occur in your community. You can hardened your home with better entry doors, better locks, a alarm system and a big dog that will your kids climb all over him but he will defend if he thinks they are in danger. Lets face it owning a firearm doesn't mean the owner will use it.

Back around 1992 when I was working as a hotel GM I confronted a drunk teenager (18) who had beaten up his girlfriend a few minutes previously and then returned and was trying to force her into his car at gunpoint (a 38 pointed at her head) in the parking lot of my hotel. It was late at night, he didn't see me, and I had previous knowledge of his assault on her, which was brutal to say the least. I drew my 1911, got a good sight picture and ordered him to stop. When he turned to face me he began to bring his revolver up from his waist and the thought flashed through my head 'I don't think I can do this'. Fortunately he placed the revolver on the hood of the car, turned and ran. The cops eventually showed up, one of them chewed me out, my boss chewed me out, my mother chewed me out, and the female refused to press charges. I didn't sleep well for quite sone time afterward, but finally decided that if I ever had to point a weapon at another person again I would not hesitate to shoot.

Back around 1992 when I was working as a hotel GM I confronted a drunk teenager (18) who had beaten up his girlfriend a few minutes previously and then returned and was trying to force her into his car at gunpoint (a 38 pointed at her head) in the parking lot of my hotel. It was late at night, he didn't see me, and I had previous knowledge of his assault on her, which was brutal to say the least. I drew my 1911, got a good sight picture and ordered him to stop. When he turned to face me he began to bring his revolver up from his waist and the thought flashed through my head 'I don't think I can do this'. Fortunately he placed the revolver on the hood of the car, turned and ran. The cops eventually showed up, one of them chewed me out, my boss chewed me out, my mother chewed me out, and the female refused to press charges. I didn't sleep well for quite sone time afterward, but finally decided that if I ever had to point a weapon at another person again I would not hesitate to shoot.

Exactly what was the LEO chiefs beef...that you got involved or?

The cops eventually showed up, one of them chewed me out, my boss chewed me out, my mother chewed me out, and the female refused to press charges. I didn't sleep well for quite some time afterward, but finally decided that if I ever had to point a weapon at another person again I would not hesitate to shoot.

Cap'n Bill...not to hijack a thread, but I'm curious. Why did the cop, your boss and your mom chew you out??? For not shooting the boy friend?? And when you say the female refused to press charges, are you meaning that she refused to press charges against you or her love monkey?

If the cop, boss, and mom chewed you out for using a firearm in this situation, they ought to have been dang grateful that you did!! I mean, if it was my daughter that had the .38 pointed at her head, I would've wanted you to blow a hole in the testosterone-loaded, pimply-faced little so-and-so...and would've given you a medal for doing it, too.

I know this "friend" who knows weapons and knows how to use them.

He came home from being over the road, to find the basement door broken open. I........er.........."he" went to the fridge and got his 1911 and went room by room till "he" camr to the den.

Not seeing anyone there, he out his 1911 in his waist band of his jeans, and got his 12ga. pump shotgun, pumped a round into it and went to the bedroom where there was noise coming out of.

His ex was tied to the bed with pantyhose and a large man was standing there, butt assed naked and holding a butcher knife in his hand.

This "Friend" was told by the judge it was a justifed killing. Just one more dead man walking thought his mind.

Yes..........He's living with it ! :FlagAm:

One of the cops was upset that I was carrying, even though I was licensed for concealed carry. The other cop privately said I had done ok to run him off, protect the girl, get the weapon, and his car. My boss was pissed because I was carrying at work. My mother was pissed because I got involved, she's a fantastic mom, but her concern was with me, not someone else's child. Dad was pissed because I didn't shoot the lowlife as soon as he moved the pistol in my direction. The girl refused to press charges against the guy for turning her face into hamburger. My dad, an attorney, advised me to drop it since the girl wouldn't follow through.

I dropped it, kept my job (barely) and learned a valuable lesson about confronting someone with a firearm.

One of the cops was upset that I was carrying, even though I was licensed for concealed carry. The other cop privately said I had done ok to run him off, protect the girl, get the weapon, and his car. My boss was pissed because I was carrying at work. My mother was pissed because I got involved, she's a fantastic mom, but her concern was with me, not someone else's child. Dad was pissed because I didn't shoot the lowlife as soon as he moved the pistol in my direction. The girl refused to press charges against the guy for turning her face into hamburger. My dad, an attorney, advised me to drop it since the girl wouldn't follow through.

I dropped it, kept my job (barely) and learned a valuable lesson about confronting someone with a firearm.

Had a friend named Pete in KY, in a simular situation. Women asked for help because of a abusive husband. Pete lends hand and is driving her to a friends house. Drunk husband blocks road, Pete gets out of his vehicle, drunk husband attacks him with a club and Pete shoots and kills drunk husband. Wife wants Pete arrested for murder. Pete is aquitted of any wrong doing. Moral of story, Pete should have let the B#T&H get her A$$ beat.

I know this "friend" who knows weapons and knows how to use them.

He came home from being over the road, to find the basement door broken open. I........er.........."he" went to the fridge and got his 1911 and went room by room till "he" camr to the den.

Not seeing anyone there, he out his 1911 in his waist band of his jeans, and got his 12ga. pump shotgun, pumped a round into it and went to the bedroom where there was noise coming out of.

His ex was tied to the bed with pantyhose and a large man was standing there, butt assed naked and holding a butcher knife in his hand.

This "Friend" was told by the judge it was a justifed killing. Just one more dead man walking thought his mind.

Yes..........He's living with it ! :FlagAm:

So at the time i'm guessing your "friend" was married to this women. Now that this is an EX, does your friend wish hed been a little later coming home?

Seldom, you may be reading more into this than I meant. I'm not trying to prove a point, get out of a shooting or whatever. I've just been thinking about this and thought it might make an interesting discussion.

Yes, I am uncomfortable with the thought of having to use lethal force. I hope you are too. That's what separates us from the bad guys. Unfortunately, it's also what gives a bad guy the edge on us, or at least me.

I will do what is necessary to protect my wife and self. I would hope and pray that lethal force would not be necessary, but if that's what it takes, that's what the bad guy gets.

So at the time i'm guessing your "friend" was married to this women. Now that this is an EX, does your friend wish hed been a little later coming home?

OOOoooooohhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! :angry:

Officer it was dark, I was scared for my life and the lives of my loved ones who were behind me screaming in fear. I saw the silhouette of a figure in front of me in the hallway with my broken down door behind it, so I fired my weapon to stop the threat. :angry:

I don't know about a blue state like WA, but in Georgia I'm betting I walk.

think so too. Bye the way--- if I'm on jury duty --- you walk too!

If someone breaks into your house, and it is obvious that you are home, then you have to assume that they are there to do you harm.

If it isn't obvious that you were home, but they don't flee instantly,then, again, they are there to do you harm.

In either case, you should react in whatever way is most appropriate for you.

If you plan to use a firearm, then you have to consider more than just the individual, or individuals, that are attacking you. You have to consider other family members in the home, and, if you have them, your neighbors as well. Over penetration and missed shots are an important consideration. A one shot stop is a valid consideration, but it is not the only consideration.

If someone breaks into your house, and it is obvious that you are home, then you have to assume that they are there to do you harm.

If it isn't obvious that you were home, but they don't flee instantly,then, again, they are there to do you harm.

In either case, you should react in whatever way is most appropriate for you.

If you plan to use a firearm, then you have to consider more than just the individual, or individuals, that are attacking you. You have to consider other family members in the home, and, if you have them, your neighbors as well. Over penetration and missed shots are an important consideration. A one shot stop is a valid consideration, but it is not the only consideration.

I have a 1911 45 auto and a 12ga pump. And I'm retired 5th Group and living in the city with the nearest neighbor living in a stone house !

If i have to shoot at a person, it is always, without fail, shoot to kill. End story !

Planning or practicing for the situation will somewhat prepare you. You should have a plan and practice it with your family. Remember the adrenaline rush the first time you shot in competition? Imagine the adrenaline pumping out when lives are on the line instead of just a score. Unless or until a person is or has been in the situation to defend one's self or family, no one knows exactly how he or she will react.

Remember, anything you say or have said can be used against you in court. It may be very macho to say that an intruder will not leave your house alive. That statement can be considered as premeditation by the DA. Also think twice about using those cute signs and bumper stickers-"We don't call 911", "Don't honk, I'm reloading", "Survivors will be prosecuted", etc.

Planning or practicing for the situation will somewhat prepare you. You should have a plan and practice it with your family. Remember the adrenaline rush the first time you shot in competition? Imagine the adrenaline pumping out when lives are on the line instead of just a score. Unless or until a person is or has been in the situation to defend one's self or family, no one knows exactly how he or she will react.

Remember, anything you say or have said can be used against you in court. It may be very macho to say that an intruder will not leave your house alive. That statement can be considered as premeditation by the DA. Also think twice about using those cute signs and bumper stickers-"We don't call 911", "Don't honk, I'm reloading", "Survivors will be prosecuted", etc.

Good point Tracker!

I would think twice about posting here about this topic too.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived