SASS Wire Forum

UPDATE: DONE. Trying my hand at leatherwork again...

Tucumcari Tim

I got tired of looking for a double rig that I liked and decided to make my own. Picked up a shoulder and some long missing tools yesterday to get started. Really spent as much for this as I could have paid for a completed one, so I can't really say I am doing it to save money. (to my wifes dismay) I figured with the additional material and different tools I needed, I can continue to make other things "if" I am successful in my quest. That kind of mitigates the additional cost. Did some amateur leatherwork about 30 years ago (man am I getting old) so have a lot of the basic carving skills, and think what I don't know with the internet and electronic communication, I can muddle my way through. I can't say how long this is going to take, since I can't devote full time to the project, but will try and post pictures of the progress as I go. Finished cutting out the blanks last night. Will try and start carving shortly. Have a CCW class this weekend, so the next update may not be until next week.

holster blanks

Oh, And my best bud, Sam will be supervising.

Sam the slave driver

TT

Pictures dont work.

Howdy T.T.

Welcome back to the fun of leatherwork. As San Fernando Slim mentioned, there is much satisfaction in making your own stuff. I made my holsters when I started and I am proud of my accomplishment.

The pics work, ya just have to cut and paste the links..looks like Grizzly Dave helped you out there.

And that Sam looks like a taskmaster! You'll have that rig done in a flash.

Keep us posted on the result!

ol' poke.

Had a little bit of time to do some carving. Here is where I am so far. doesn't look too impressive, but satisfies me for now. Not embarrassed enough not to show my novice skill level. Remembered this being a little easier when I did it before. Guess age does make you remember things differently, huh? I hope to have this done within the next week or so, so I'll post the finished products then. Haven't decided if I want it all black or two tone, brown and black. Both pistols are nickel so I'm leaning toward all black. There are silver conchos that will be on the straps and the belt.

My link

My link

My link

My link

TT

Where did you get your patterns? Love the blanks

I cut the blanks from a full shoulder 7/9 oz. They're Will Ghormley patterns. Either get them online, or at Tandy Leather. Link here : http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/6015-11.aspx

Been planning to make some new knife sheaths. Is 7-9 oz. about right for the task? I'm not familiar with leather weights and quality of leather. Suggestions would be appreciated. Most of my leather is medium brown.

Siesta

Been planning to make some new knife sheaths. Is 7-9 oz. about right for the task? I'm not familiar with leather weights and quality of leather. Suggestions would be appreciated. Most of my leather is medium brown.

Siesta

I am sure there are more qualified individuals to give this advice, but I would say that this would be more than sufficient, depending on what type of sheath. If you are going to "wrap" a side or mold it, yes. If you are stitching 2 cut pieces together, you could used a little heavier leather, but wouldn't say it was absolutely necessary. Let's see what the experts say.

Been working in my spare time to get this done. Wow, have I lost a lot of skills since I first did this. Either that, or my age just kind of makes me remember differently. Not unhappy with what I did, but know I can do better. Now that I have started back, I am sure other projects will come up. Practicing will certainly improve skill.

Full

Flat

Left

Right

Another

last one

TT

Thats a great job on that rig. A first class looking job fer sure.

Waimea, Im not going to tell ya that anyone can jump right in and become an artist over night but there are basic construction fundamentals that most can readily learn and this will produce usable leather. Unlike days of old, when these were guarded secrets, most of the good modern leather workers are actually very willing to pass on the torch to future generations. There is one dirty little secret though, what it costs to make on rig will usually be more than purchasing one nice rig outright. Like reloading, ya gotta load a lot more than one box of shells to git it paying for itself!

Thats a great job on that rig. A first class looking job fer sure.

Waimea, Im not going to tell ya that anyone can jump right in and become an artist over night but there are basic construction fundamentals that most can readily learn and this will produce usable leather. Unlike days of old, when these were guarded secrets, most of the good modern leather workers are actually very willing to pass on the torch to future generations. There is one dirty little secret though, what it costs to make on rig will usually be more than purchasing one nice rig outright. Like reloading, ya gotta load a lot more than one box of shells to git it paying for itself!

I will attest to all of what Slowhand Bob said above. It's not brain surgery, but there is skill involved and a lot of patience in learning those skills. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination capable of doing what gifted leather artisans can, but it is an enjoyable task and quite fulfilling when you get something that you can actually make useful. I remember starting leatherwork by making many, many leather coasters and giving to all my relatives at Christmas time. (yes, I was broke at the time and fringe suede jackets were popular.....I'm sure a lot of you remember that) The initial cost, depending on what you want to do, can be manageable to get started. Just like starting CAS (as I am currently experiencing) you pick stuff up as you go. Not quite as painful. Be prepared to have sore fingers after hand-stitching a project for awhile though. I enjoy doing this kind of thing as relating back to the way it was originally done without machines.

I can tell you that with what I bought (full shoulder 7/9 oz, 1/2 belly, conchos, and additional tools that I lost over the years) could have paid for 1 1/2 decently priced rigs similar to what I made, but I now have all the tools and enough leather left over to make at least another 3-4 holsters and some miscellaneous projects. Already used scraps to fit an existing belt with shotgun loops and cartridge rounds. Just made a SASS badge holder out of other scraps, too.

I enjoyed getting back into this, and will likely do much more in the future.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement, and I too would encourage anyone else that desires to do stuff like this, to just do it. You never know what you're capable of until you try.

TT

Archived