SASS Wire Forum

Chronicle foto

wordsmith

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Wolf, I disagree.

We've got to be able to understand when something is make-believe or real. We (as in society), must be forced to use our brain every now and then or our brains will become mush!

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed...but I can use my weeeeee little bit of brain power to understand that this is a photo depicting a old western scene...excercising my 3 or 4 brain cells keep 'em fresh and functioning to the best of their ability.

Cheers my friend!!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

I agree that the subject cover photo is a poor representation of the sport. It shows very bad judgment on the part of the editorial staff. I guess they need to reread and understand the safety rules in the SASS handbook. It should have been a MDQ. A very unprofessional message was sent by this.

I agree with the prior poster, the messenger posted a legitimate point.

After four pages.

Peoples opinion are definitely on one side or the other on this topic.

I would say neither side is totally correct but have valid points. Boils down to personal opinion.

But interesting, this topic is either black or white, yes or not, good or bad to all that have posted.

Ohhhh... and ... did you accept? :unsure:

May 16th will be our 25th anniversary. :wub:

On the original topic, (I can't believe I'm saying this) I agree with Phantom. This sport/game is touted as being a fantasy based loosly on the western movies and t.v. shows we grew up with. Show me one of those where no guns were EVER pointed at another person. The t.v. shows weren't real. The movies weren't real. This picutre isn't real. When people stop being able to tell the difference we have a much bigger problem than some picture on a magazine.

Although I don't agree with the name callin' from the OP, I also don't hold with "Cyberthugs" and their retaliatory statements.- nuff 'bout that.

I am relatively new to this sport, but like all of you, I read the SASS Shooters Handbook before I began participating. And as you all know it says:

1. Treat and respect every firearm at all times as if it were loaded. (page 20, under the headings "Safety Practices" and "First, Last, and Always")

Now, would you point a loaded shotgun in the general direction of your best freind? I think not. But if you would(even an "unloaded" one with your finger off the trigger), just for a "posed" picture, I send my condolences in advance to (statistically at least) one of you.

OK, have at it, tell me to "lighten up" or "get a life" or whatever. And feel free to bring it face to face, when we meet if you would like, but, if I participate in this game for very many years (statistically again) something comepletely unexpected and dangerous is going to happen reguarding firearms. All I can say is it won't be because I pointed an "unloaded" shotgun at someone for a "posed" picture.

Oh, and that "they do it in the movies" excuse. Please!! Ask Brandon Lee (during the filming of "The Crow") how that worked for him. OK, OK, now I'm over the line too, but, please people, real firearms are not toys, or props, they are Deadly Weapons handled by imperfect beings who can make mistakes.

Let's enjoy our sport but avoid needless disreguard of safety for "photo opps" and such. We'd have got the point if the shotgun had been pointed up in the air.

Just a view from the shadows.

Silver Shadow

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

I don't think anybody in 4 pages said they couldn't tell it was staged. The points that apparently never got through

A.that the non shooting public which we recruit our new shooters from and which contain all the anti gun people, may not be able to tell or may just be happy to use such a picture at a chamber of commerce or county commission hearing to help close a range. So I threw that CC issue right in the trash, suitably destroyed.

B. Many ranges would not allow such a photo to be taken as it goes against posted safety rules, many more would not have published it.

C. I don't know anyone who ever accidently shot their friend or loved one with a known loaded or unsafe gun, it was always the "unloaded" or one that couldn't fire that injured or killed them. I've seen injuries from richochets but most all and all the bad ones were opposite the muzzle.

That's why we, not hollywood that is in the movie making business and accepts the death or injury of paid stunt people and actors as part of the cost, or the military where the brass have an estimate of acceptable losses, or even police that have to train with hot weapons and have tragic mistakes with the staged "unloaded" ones, we have rules about pointing guns at each other. No matter what.

So yep it's a staged action open photo, I'm sure somebody checked that mag tube etc. Far as we know every safety rule but the most important one was followed. Seeing people hurt and killed led me to be an instructor a long time ago. To me it's a set of rules and a state of mind designed to allow us the regular people to use guns for sport and carry them everyday for defense with minimal danger to our loved ones, ourselves, and the law abiding public. My students have done well, the little work I did for TV [cars not guns] let the filming and stunt people go home in one piece, and now my efforts at other facilities might just save a few more injuries. We deal with perseption and reality.

Joe

I was a firearms instructor and range officer during my time a Law Dawg…. Before the advent of "Blue Guns" we used unloaded firearms in training scenarios and for classroom/range instruction. The picture did not bother me but, while I do agree that the photo is obviously staged, maybe the editors should have placed a notice underneath the photo declaring that the firearms were unloaded for safety purposes.

I don't fault the OP for speaking his mind, but I do take objection to the method in which he used to get the point across. SASS is based on the "Cowboy Way", which promotes honesty and respect for all. I don't know about y'alls, but my usually my first post on a forum does not include calling other members "Idiots". The fact that this has been his one and only post on this forum and he has a join date Feb 7, 2012, with a SASS membership number of 502 does not help matters either. It appears that this OP may already be a forum member, but he did not want to make a post like this using his own screen name.

I figure the Cowboy Way stands for respectfully saying what you mean and mean what you say and stand (Not hide) behind those words.

The fact that this has been his one and only post on this forum and he has a join date Feb 7, 2012, with a SASS membership number of 502 does not help matters either. It appears that this OP may already be a forum member, but he did not want to make a post like this using his own screen name.

Maybe the original poster has just gotten interested in computers and gotten on the wire, what ya think? Something we may never know, but a possibility before ya hang him.

Y'all

Look around next SASS match you go to and see who all has had a long gun with action open, empty chamber, finger off trigger, declared safe by several, and,,,,with muzzle pointed at them or someone else. Count the number of times.... You include, doing it and pointing muzzle at someone(s).... Think long guns in gun cart with muzzles pointed skywards at various angles, and you pushing cart to next bay. You pointed your own guns at yourself if nothing else at least every stage, if not more..

Then the pard that has his empty revolvers, finger off trigger, in holsters, and he bends over and points muzzle(s) backwards to whomever.

Same thing (muzzle of supposed, declared, safe guns)as what is in the picture.

I am not advocating changing the way in which all of us store and handle our long guns away from the firing line at SASS.

I am just pointing out to y'all with heart burn, that you are accustom to looking down muzzles of guns under certain circumstances and don't think a thing about it. Then there are people from the public,,,,with cameras,,,,,, watching and taking pictures back off the firing line.

Just saying.

The cover picture is "Hollywood" for cryiung out loud!!!

If proper verified procedures were used to determine the gun was clear no harm no foul.

Can anyone state with absolute certainty the shoot gun in question was not "de-mil'd" or otherwise rendered incapable of firingg?

How does one spell sanctimonious?

For all we know the picture may have been photoshopped

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

as I stated earlier I have no problem with the picture. one of the reasons for this is that aside from CAS I also belong to a wild west group. We put on SHOWS where it APPEARS that we are guning each other down. Hollywood as Cpt Dan said.

I am saddened to see there are at least four idiots in Sass: the two who posed for the picture of a shotgun aimed at a participant, the photographer who took the photo and whoever put it on the front page of the Chronicle. So much for the four basic rules of firearm safety.

Word Smith

Word Smith;

Your first post, welcome to the forum and a big howdy from us SASS folks. It's a GREAT FAMILY group and GREAT PEOPLE! You'll find many different and interresting comments from this family. Fer sure don't take things serious from several of em, but they's a great group.

Now's maybe there be a better cowboy way ta start a conversation on this subject, but I sure wish the first response would have been something nice to our first timmer. Then maybe go from there on the judgment part. Sure could give folks a different view of the cowboy way. Just MHO

May 16th will be our 25th anniversary. :wub:

On the original topic, (I can't believe I'm saying this) I agree with Phantom. This sport/game is touted as being a fantasy based loosly on the western movies and t.v. shows we grew up with. Show me one of those where no guns were EVER pointed at another person. The t.v. shows weren't real. The movies weren't real. This picutre isn't real. When people stop being able to tell the difference we have a much bigger problem than some picture on a magazine.

Philly Slim, happy 25th anniversery to you and your wife!

Back on topic... I have shown the photo to three non-CAS people, non-shooting type of people and said "what do you think of this photo?". The responses are kinds along the line of "So what?". I expect as I show this to quite a few more people, I expect pretty much the same comments.

I would like to say that there are at least five idiots in SASS if you include me. :lol:

FYI - I just asked my eight year old if the cover photo was a good or bad picture. He said bad. I asked why. He said b/c the gun was pointed at the guys head. When I opened up the CC and saw the pic, I felt it was inappropriate and b/c of this thread decided to use it as a learning tool.

FYI - I just asked my eight year old if the cover photo was a good or bad picture. He said bad. I asked why. He said b/c the gun was pointed at the guys head. When I opened up the CC and saw the pic, I felt it was inappropriate and b/c of this thread decided to use it as a learning tool.

Good for you, serious. Using it as a learning tool I mean. There are other things within the photo that you could discuss (good and bad) with your son from a learning point of view.

You could point out that if a firearm is unloaded, and no ammo is realitively available, then it is nothing more than a metal/wood/plastic combo club.

Blastmaster

I was a firearms instructor and range officer during my time a Law Dawg…. Before the advent of "Blue Guns" we used unloaded firearms in training scenarios and for classroom/range instruction. The picture did not bother me but, while I do agree that the photo is obviously staged, maybe the editors should have placed a notice underneath the photo declaring that the firearms were unloaded for safety purposes.

I don't fault the OP for speaking his mind, but I do take objection to the method in which he used to get the point across. SASS is based on the "Cowboy Way", which promotes honesty and respect for all. I don't know about y'alls, but my usually my first post on a forum does not include calling other members "Idiots". The fact that this has been his one and only post on this forum and he has a join date Feb 7, 2012, with a SASS membership number of 502 does not help matters either. It appears that this OP may already be a forum member, but he did not want to make a post like this using his own screen name.

I figure the Cowboy Way stands for respectfully saying what you mean and mean what you say and stand (Not hide) behind those words.

Yup.

Archived