SASS Wire Forum

Chronicle foto

wordsmith

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't seen the new CC yet, so won't comment on the photos...

Won't call anyone involved in play-actin' an idiot, either.

But the not-so-funny part of the topic is that this is precisely the kind of thing that we are all warned about - that fooling around with real guns, even when we have "checked" that they are clear, can lead to accidents. How many times have we read articles about somebody shot while cleaning a gun, or while demonstrating something, despite the fact that they or someone else "checked it" and found it clear. Mistakes happen. And so the rule - Always treat every gun as if it were loaded. Not knowing who these folks are, what the guns are, or what was done before the photo session, I won't judge them. But I don't think that I would play-act with a real gun, either.

LL

CC just arrived and I saw the picture in discussion.

GOOD GRIEF!!!! Get a life OP.

The picture opportunity was staged.

I presume both people were active and willing partisipants in the picture taking.

The two folks poses would fit for the time period and the picture

The 1897 SG action is open,

Trigger finger is off trigger.

She is not wearing eye protection.

She has a good shooting stance.

Hard to tell if the actual gun was pointed directly at him or not, but for a picture op, it doesn't matter.

He is giving the "victory" sign with his left hand.

Or he is scoring and saying 5 misses and a safety& procedural or two bonus or two something elses. LOL

No shotgun belt on her, he does, and it is empty.

Pretty good diminstration of what Cowboy Port Arms should be. She is not a Gamer cause her left hand isn't back on butt stock hovering for shells,,,,wait, no SG belt. LOL.

She needs to go back to loading table and get her pistols and SG Belt,,,, came to the line not properly outfitted :lol:

I like it and is approperate for the situation.

Blastmaster

It would seem that some folks don't see a down side to this kind of photo so let set a slightly different scene.....

Let's say you don't know anything about 3-gun but are interested in learning, you pick up a copy of 3 gun magazine and on the front cover is a picture of four guys dressed in camo and aiming AR type weapons at each other. What is your first impression. How many viewers do you think would be saying, boy, that looks like fun, I think I'll try that. My point is, why portray SASS or proper handling of firearms in a negative light. There is much to lose and nothing to gain. I think Loophole gets it ....anybody else?

Taint nearly as bad as any action movie I saw. Taint nearly as bad as any old western movie or TV show. Taint even nearly as bad as any re-enactment I have witnessed.

I would still like to be a cowboy movie/TV star and have time to play is re-enactments ... time permitting cause I still have a job. :mellow:

So this thread is silly, IMHO ^_^

It would seem that some folks don't see a down side to this kind of photo so let set a slightly different scene.....

Let's say you don't know anything about 3-gun but are interested in learning, you pick up a copy of 3 gun magazine and on the front cover is a picture of four guys dressed in camo and aiming AR type weapons at each other. What is your first impression. How many viewers do you think would be saying, boy, that looks like fun, I think I'll try that. My point is, why portray SASS or proper handling of firearms in a negative light. There is much to lose and nothing to gain. I think Loophole gets it ....anybody else?

Nope,

Not for staged photos.

You must not view Western films and movies without getting upset.

The OP seems to have brought out a few more with no sense of humor. Almost as bad as the PC crowd. Get over it, these are not the droids you're looking for.

CR

Blastmaster

You can not compare anything done in Hollywood with real life. Hollywood has no social responsibility, we, meaning sass, do. The fact that the picture is staged has no bearing. It is what the picture depicts that I object to, The part of SASS that I am familiar with does not allow us to point guns at people. I don't know of any circumstance where setting a bad example is a good idea, if you do: I would like to hear about it.

It's not really cold enough here for cabin fever to have set in but I guess it has in other parts of the country.

We are to the point where the standard question of Mary Ann or Ginger should cause people to lose their temper and start abusing folks that hold the opposite view.

and I favor Mary Ann.

+1

Oh, and miz NoE would still need help ta git in the saddle of that Shetland.... she be a tiny lady yessirreeee......

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

I find it strange that Wordsmith doesn't say what State he is from. I've never heard his name before, and with a low SASS # he would have had to got it in the beginning. I'm talking End of Trail 1987-88, or a monthly match at Coto de Caza Calif. People came as far as New England or Georgia to shoot and signed up for membership. I was there at the Start of SASS and know most all of the early members,but don't know this guy. I doubt he joined by mail in the first few months.

The first 200 members are Life Endowment members 1-200. 201-400 were put aside for future Life members. General SASS membership started at 401. I would have been 454 (sounded like a big block Chevy engine) I asked for #1001 from SASS #1 Judge Roy Bean, he said YES. So #502 would have been very late 1987 or early 1988. Remember, EoT started in 1982 and shot each year without being SASS.

I'd like to find out who this guy is and where he lives. Not every SASS member is on the wire, but does anyone know Wordsmith?

Maybe he just got his first computer, (Yeah...right) probably is a Troll. Anyway, anyone who looks at the picture and calls the

CC Editor, TEX, Sass #4 an Idiot needs to rethink why he said that. Just sayin'

Big Jake

+1

Oh, and miz NoE would still need help ta git in the saddle of that Shetland.... she be a tiny lady yessirreeee......

JJJ-D

:wub: ya JJJ! However, I think you need to have your eyes examined.

Anyway, all my posts were before I saw the photograph. They were based on posts by folks I respect and the tone of the OP.

Now my opinion on the OP (after receiving my Chronicle today) is "you've got to be kidding!" If not, :rolleyes::wacko:

Bet good hard cash.........Wordsmith and Jacknife......drive the same truck

Wyatt

OK, just let me know how much the bet is and where I need to go to collect. You are on.

:lol: :lol:

SSSHHHHHHHHHH

Bet good hard cash.........Wordsmith and Jacknife......drive the same truck

Wyatt

OK, just let me know how much the bet is and where I need to go to collect. You are on.

:lol: :lol:

SSSHHHHHHHHHH

He could be right Wyatt.

Maybe he does not drive a truck. Could be he drives a car. :o:huh:

Then you would lose your bet. :unsure:

Blastmaster

You can not compare anything done in Hollywood with real life. Hollywood has no social responsibility, we, meaning sass, do. The fact that the picture is staged has no bearing. It is what the picture depicts that I object to, The part of SASS that I am familiar with does not allow us to point guns at people. I don't know of any circumstance where setting a bad example is a good idea, if you do: I would like to hear about it.

In SASS, for just about all of us, every time you roll your gun cart around, you are looking down the barrels of your long guns. You do that and you OK with that?

:wub: ya JJJ! However, I think you need to have your eyes examined.

Anyway, all my posts were before I saw the photograph. They were based on posts by folks I respect and the tone of the OP.

Now my opinion on the OP (after receiving my Chronicle today) is "you've got to be kidding!" If not, :rolleyes::wacko:

I see the world differently than others.... so my eyes r fine.... most of the time....

JJ :blush: J-D

One more time and I give up, for me it's simple, unless you have a reason relating to self defense, you never point a gun at someone,,,ever.

Philly This is real life, we shoot real guns with real bullet. 1 the gun is always loaded. 2 never point it at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Virgil you are comparing apples to oranges. It does not bother me in the least to stand in front of a gun that is staged or in a cart. It can be cocked and loaded and it is still a tool. Now put that gun into someone's hand and you best not muzzle me with it. Sounds kind of like some of the SASS rules.

Johnny, for your own sanity, I hope you never step on a trap or skeet field. Ya would go nuts with the guns slung over shoulders pointing at ya when ya turn around.

Johnny, for your own sanity, I hope you never step on a trap or skeet field. Ya would go nuts with the guns slung over shoulders pointing at ya when ya turn around.

+1. For years we wandered around the ranges at cowboy shoots with our doubles just like that... until the "safety nazis" decided it was unsafe. An obvious ploy by the '97 shooters to make our life as miserable as theirs.

Edited to add: Troll. Ignore, and they go away.

One more time and I give up, for me it's simple, unless you have a reason relating to self defense, you never point a gun at someone,,,ever.

Philly This is real life, we shoot real guns with real bullet. 1 the gun is always loaded. 2 never point it at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Virgil you are comparing apples to oranges. It does not bother me in the least to stand in front of a gun that is staged or in a cart. It can be cocked and loaded and it is still a tool. Now put that gun into someone's hand and you best not muzzle me with it. Sounds kind of like some of the SASS rules.

When I clean my guns, I will shine a bore light down the barrel from the breach end and eyeball look see from the muzzle in,,,, while gun is in hand...does that count? ^_^

I am OK with standing in front of an empty 'stage' firearm (in the hands or not) that has been checked and double checked and proven to me that it is empty. Nothing really wrong with your philosophy. You have the right to express it, but doesn't mean you are more right or wrong on this topic than the rest of us.

Funny, you are OK with being in front of a guns barrel (firearm loaded or not),, think self defense gun in drawer or on shelf or???,, but only if no one is touching it, but not otherwise, for any reason at all. Hmmmmm, OK, there are circumstances where that would be correct and other circumstances where it wouldn't be OK. Ya kinda got to look at it on a case by case situation and we shouldn't generalize to much.

To each his own.

Blastmaster

:unsure:

The photograph is in very poor taste! It really does not matter that it is posed or not. It shows an inappropriate action. Pointing a supposed weapon at an individual. Children will see it and maybe non-SASS members. It does send a subliminal message.

Crosscut Jack

^_^

-_-

:mellow:

Wordsmith probably is a member, under another name, and doesn't want to be called out for pointing out something he thinks is wrong. Just a guess. Not sure if he went about it correctly, but I wouldn't be afraid to call the folks in the picture "wrong". Someone should cntact them and see if they would pose like that again.

Cash

In the words of Samuel Johnson, "A fly may sting a stately horse and make it wince. But one is still a stately horse, and the other...still a fly." ;)

That being said, don't give him the time of day.

Archived