SASS Wire Forum

Chiappa 1887 Review ****

Buckhorn Bud

Chiappa 1887 Review ****

My wife and I both shoot cowboy action so we wanted a second shotgun. Even though my coach gun works well enough and is quite reliable I thought that a repeating shotgun would be nice to have and better suited for home defense. I like to shoot Frontiersman, so the model ’97 wouldn’t work as a main match gun for me. I was intrigued by the lever action shotgun so I borrowed a Coyote Cap 1887 for a couple of matches to see if I liked it enough to buy one for myself. (We have some awesome people in this sport who are willing loan their guns out.) I asked around and received a lot of good advice from other shooters and did a lot of internet research looking for reviews on the 1887. I found a couple of reviews on the IAC, but nothing significant on the Chiappa. The only information that I could find was a couple of people said the quality of the Chiappa is worth the extra money over the IAC, and some said that it’s not. Since IAC isn’t importing shotguns anymore and Coyote Cap has been sold out since June 2011, I decided to bite the bullet and order a Chiappa Fast Load 1887. Since I had so much difficulty finding a review on the Chiappa ’87, after having about a month to work with mine, I decided to write a review of my own in hopes of saving someone else the trouble of not being able to find one.

Upon opening the box I noticed that the bluing, case hardened coloring, and wood finish are beautiful. The action cycled okay but felt kind of clunky. I then tried loading some dummy rounds two at a time. Although the bottom cartridge fed and chamber perfectly, the top cartridge would catch on a shoulder formed by the end of the right side of the barrel and get hung up. The left side has a tapered screw to guide the cartridge into the chamber.

The first issue that I looked at was the feeding problem since that could be a real show stopper. I assume that this issue is why the manual states that you should tilt the gun to the left while loading it. I personally think that this is an unsatisfactory work around to a fixable problem. I remedied this by building up a small ramp with epoxy that guides the shell into the chamber. Waxed paper over the epoxy allowed me to cycle the leaver and mold the epoxy to clear the moving parts, then remove the paper once the epoxy was set. Now it loads two at a time nicely. I may eventually replace the epoxy with solder, or something more permanent, but for now I’ll see how long the epoxy holds up.

Later I addressed the clunky cycling. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the tip of the trigger would catch on the hammer sear making the hammer catch and fall as the leaver was closed. Since the bolt is angled away from the cartridge when the hammer falls it’s not a safety concern but it does cause excess drag slowing down the cycling and the feel is less than desirable. I read up on this problem on the Coyote Cap website. Apparently this is a common occurrence on the IAC and Coyote Cap describes how to bend the trigger to remedy this. I think bending the trigger took me about 30 seconds once I was able to interpret the description (pictures would be nice). Now the action cycles so nicely that I see no need for an action job. Some may want to lighten the hammer spring but I like a good solid hammer strike.

At the range I fed my 1887 every type of shotgun ammo that I could find at the local Wal-mart. I used everything from the cheap Winchester shells that swell and cause trouble in my Stoeger, to Remington Field Loads, and Federal Universal loads plus some hand loaded shells including a couple of boxes of black powder shells. Everything I fed it cycled and fired flawlessly. I didn’t pattern the shot but it broke most of the clay pigeons I launched from my $30 trap thrower. (I’m sure the misses were from the idiot holding the gun rather than from the gun itself.)

I’m not fast by any means, but after a week of dry-fire practice (a few minutes each evening) with the ’87, I felt that I could be faster with the ‘87 than with my side by side so I timed both of them shooting 8 rounds each, two at a time from the belt. It took 20 seconds for me to load, fire, and shuck all 8 rounds with the side by side. The same 8 rounds took only 15 seconds with the ’87. I repeated this comparison several times and the results came out to be within 1.5 seconds of the original test (disregarding the times I bobbled the shells). That’s a significant time savings.

I should mention that the Coyote Cap “Drop Two” mod is patented so Chiappa uses a different design for their “Fast Load” system. With the Coyote Cap system you can over-ride the stop and stoke the magazine. The Chiappa requires swapping out the right cartridge guide assembly (which, unless you get the “Cowboy Hunter” model, has to be ordered separately) in order to load the magazine. It’s pretty easy to swap but not nearly as easy as the Coyote Cap system. Check out the video http://chiappafirearms.com/product/831/videos .

In conclusion I really like the Chiappa 1887 shotgun. The fit and finish are beautiful. The issues I found were minor and easily repaired. For me it’s faster than the SxS. It didn’t need an action job. And the “cool factor” is off the charts. When comparing it against all the issues Coyote Cap mentions about the IAC plus the need for an action job, the Chiappa quality is worth the extra money. Plus with the Chiappa you’re money goes to our Italian NATO allies rather than communist China. I’d give the Chiappa 1887 4 stars out of 5. (If it hadn’t been for the two issues that I mentioned I’d give it 5.)

Buckhorn Bud

YOU almost didn't get that "Chippy" '87 back :o ........Ima made me :lol::P

Cheers

L('87 luv'r)G

I'll have to thank the little birthday girl for making you return it. :P

To me finish on a SASS gun is not prime importance seeing as how they get so bashed around. They should offer a SASS finish with scratches, gouges and dents in the wood from the factory ;)

You must have missed the first line. "My wife and I both shoot cowboy action so we wanted a second shotgun" For the wife to be happy it's at least gotta start out pretty. :unsure:

I ended up with a mint Chiappa 1887 after a variety of trades. It has a Lassiter action job. I've not yet figured out how best to hold it (in right or left hand). It is an interesting critter that I might spend some time figuring out. Loading two is a snap. That said, I still prefer a 97 as it has a much better balance. It rounded out my SASS shotgun collection.

I ended up with a mint Chiappa 1887 after a variety of trades. It has a Lassiter action job. I've not yet figured out how best to hold it (in right or left hand). It is an interesting critter that I might spend some time figuring out. Loading two is a snap. That said, I still prefer a 97 as it has a much better balance. It rounded out my SASS shotgun collection.

I preferr to hold mine with my left hand and load with my strong hand, like Lasiter. I've tried holding it like Deuce Stevens showes with the strong hand and loading with the weak hand but that just doesn't work for me.

When loading two does yours have something to keep the top cartridge from catching on the back end of the barrel?

I preferr to hold mine with my left hand and load with my strong hand, like Lasiter. I've tried holding it like Deuce Stevens showes with the strong hand and loading with the weak hand but that just doesn't work for me.

When loading two does yours have something to keep the top cartridge from catching on the back end of the barrel?

It has the factory "drop 2 mod" which keeps everything lined up OK. It will only take two as the mag tube is blocked by some sort of device. Lassiter did some work on it also.

Archived