SASS Wire Forum

Mission Completed>>>>>.Looking for "starter" clothing

Tucumcari Tim

Thank all of you for the responses, and generosity in response and offers for clothing to get me started. Between what has been donated and reasonably priced, I think I am set for now. Don't want to be a clothes hog. This is the kind of group that makes you glad you are involved in. For those of you that have donated items for free, I will absolutely remember to "pay it forward" when the need arises for someone else.

Again thank you all for responses and offers.

Tucumcari Tim

Well- welcome to SASS - first of all.

You will have fun searching Thrift Shops, Good Will, Salvation Army, etc.

for clothing, belt, maybe even boots, and hat.

Most of us started that way (to save money to spend on GUNS).

If you let the management know that you are specifically looking for Western

and your sizes - they may be "on the look out" for something high quality

(and low priced).

Once again - WELCOME.

- Boneyard Bill

Go to Good Will/Salvation Army/thrift stores and dig around for suit pants and shirts. I used to find linen collarless shirts at JC Penny/ Sears for $12. You can have an outfit right cheap.

Buffalo Western Wear is our local guy in Ga. I have found the best period clothes through him via a seamstress that makes clothes for Civil War reenactors.

River Junction Trading Co and Hamilton Dry Goods are two others. All three are online.

Curley

In the above image the shirt is an Arrow dress shirt with the collar cut off, vest was a closeout, pants are black Kmart with the belt loops cut off and "batchlor buttons" put on for suspenders. Scarf was on sale. Boots I got off the wire for $100.

For another look I got a pair of army pants for shipping,and a pair of striped pants for only a couple of bucks.

the hat below is a Stetson I got at the last match off a sale table for $5 and had Bob AllHat shape it and put on a hat band..

Curleys New Hat

show us yer look as you get it.

curley

If you want to get some period type shirts right off the bat....go to goodwill or a discount clothing place....buy some dress shirts and cut the collars off down to the stub collar. If you look at any of your dress shirts you will know what I mean.

If you want some custom shirts, we have a lady that will make shirts for about $30@. She makes mine and while I use wild colors she makes normal as well.

If you want her contact, let me know.

KK

Thank you for the welcome and thanks all for the input. I'll be visiting Sal. Army and Goodwill in the near future for western duds. I didn't even think of some of the things you wrote about above, but now I have been educated. I'm looking forward to going to my first shoot in April, so I have a little time to acquire some stuff. Thanks again.

TT

Curley,

As soon as I get some, I'll see if I can get some tintypes for ya to look at......

And again to all, thanks for the ideas.

Took some of your advice and stopped by the Goodwill yesterday . Picked up a pair of older blue jeans that the belt loops will be coming off and replaced with suspender tabs, and a shirt that has an exact pattern of one of the advertised period ones. The collar on that will also be removed. I do have a question about the pants though. I see that all of period pants have buttons, so are zippers on pants not allowed?

I see that all of period pants have buttons, so are zippers on pants not allowed?

TT

If anybody wants to check your fly, you better find a new place to shoot.:lol:

Zippers are allowed.:excl:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

TT

Waimea

Now that you mention it, I would whole-heartedly agree......lol :blush:

TT

Waimea

Durn it, Waimea, how's about a courtesy spew alert next time? :lol:

I shot in thrift store clothees for two years before deciding to buy early 1890-period clothes.

Old Navy actually made pants for awhile with horizontal-cut pcokets and pinstripe prints. They match the clothes in The Shootist and other 1890-1900 films pretty well.

I still wear those thrift store clothes for a match in the rain/snow/mud.

Durn it, Waimea, how's about a courtesy spew alert next time? :lol:

MMM

Sorry about that.

I will try to keep my rye humor in check.

Or at least fire a warning shot first.:lol:

W

If you want to get some period type shirts right off the bat....go to goodwill or a discount clothing place....buy some dress shirts and cut the collars off down to the stub collar. If you look at any of your dress shirts you will know what I mean.

If you want some custom shirts, we have a lady that will make shirts for about $30@. She makes mine and while I use wild colors she makes normal as well.

If you want her contact, let me know.

KK

sent ya a PM

Regards

Gateway Kid

Why wouldn't zippers be allowed? They've allowed Rugers for years and they aren't period correct.

Seriously, give me a few days and I will see what I have clothing wise, got lots of shirts, vests and pants, dusters, period winter coats, dress coats and pants and 2 pair of period boots one pair worn only once. I will post an add then let you know it is up.

Why wouldn't zippers be allowed? They've allowed Rugers for years and they aren't period correct.

Seriously, give me a few days and I will see what I have clothing wise, got lots of shirts, vests and pants, dusters, period winter coats, dress coats and pants and 2 pair of period boots one pair worn only once. I will post an add then let you know it is up.

Thanks. Let me know when you're ready.

TT

I sorta think its halarious to see you SASS guys going on about your $1.50 shits and cuttin' off the belt loops of your old style pants. You've got $1500.00 to $2000.00 worth of guns and another $500.00 worth of gunleather. Rounds cost what, $0.40 each? LOL! Ya'll are real frugal.

Seriously, a nice shirt and a pair of pants might cost ... $50.00. You'll shoot off more'n that on the first stage.

Tim

Since I don't know how to pm. Send me a email to jeffcrass@crasspallet.com

Jailbreak Jake

Email sent....

Archived