SASS Wire Forum

Winchester AA Featherlites

Dorado

Alright I'm in a bit of a quandary. I don't have the room to reload shotgun so I'm stuck buying mine. Does anybody know where to get 12ga Winchester AA featherlites or equivalent? Our Walmart usually carries them but only when it isn't bird season. They haven't had any for quite some time and I can't find them anywhere. Anybody have a clue where to find some?

I haven't seen them a WalMart since last year. Sportsman's Warehouse carries them but there is no feather on the box anymore. There is a Winchester code on the old box that is the same on the new box. I would look up the code from the Winchester website for you, but our school has the site blocked. Maybe someone else can give you the code to look for.

I would look up the code from the Winchester website for you... Maybe someone else can give you the code to look for.

That would be Winchester's item number: AA12FL8

Good luck, GJ

As normal, Recobs has them available for an on-line order, beating even Able Ammo on price now.

http://www.recobstar....cfm/2,141.html

Do a search on the words: winchester low recoil low noise

I found 30 on-line businesses selling them, there are likely hundreds. Also shop for Nobel Sport and Remington STS. B&P (bandpusa.com) has free shipping on their "sub-sound" 2 1/2" round.

Olen

My Fold-up Loadin Bench

It don't take much room at all. I do all mine on a folding sawhorse. (I haven't seen F/L around here in a while.)

I have just under 2 cases for backup, and mostly reload.

curley

Before I started reloading.. that's all I bought..

I always went to my reloading supply shop..

My question.. "Got any of these.. :mellow: Winchester 12 gage AA low noise/low recoil?"

His reply was always "Nope.. dont' stockem'.. :angry: they're for sissy shooters!"

My reply always "Can ya order me some?" :)

His reply always "How many cases ya want.. I'll order them" :)

Just because it ain't on the shelf doesn't mean it's not available..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' Order em'

To be honest no sooner did I ask this than I found them at basspro.com. I ordered some. lol always seems like as soon as I ask a question the answer just pops up and bites me in the butt.

You may also want to be aware that it looks like they may have changed their packaging. Last time I went looking for the big yellow star, I looked right over a ton of 'em because the box was not the one that I was used to seeing.

I found what I think are replacing the Featherlites. They're called WinLite Target Loads. It's a black box with a large white feather on it.

I found what I think are replacing the Featherlites. They're called WinLite Target Loads. It's a black box with a large white feather on it.

WinLites are no where near as good as the Featherlites (AA12FL#). They have a ribbed hull and a steel head. They don't shuck very well from lots of side-bys. Better to use the real featherlites (several folks have told you places to get them still), or to use the B&P sub-sound, or even Remington STS managed recoil. Now, if you are shooting a 97, it may make you no-never-mind. But, at least you were warned before you buy a case of them (stinking) WinLites.

Good luck, GJ

Thank GJ I didn't know that about winlites. I'll stick to actual featherlites. Does anyone else make similar shells?

Thank GJ I didn't know that about winlites. I'll stick to actual featherlites. Does anyone else make similar shells?

Dang, man, read the posts that are already on here.

Oops, I mean, yep, there are several other choices for lite 12 gauge loads, as listed above.

Good luck, GJ

Federal Target Load

Low Recoil-Subsonic

2 3/4 inches Muz Vel 900 FPS

TGM123 7.5

This load is less expensive that WW Feather Lites. It works great in 87's and 97's and in "some" doubles. Buy a box of 25 and see if it works if you shoot a double.

Stoney

I was just at Bass Pro Shops and picked up Winchester "Xtra Light Target Loads" for $7.50 a box

12ga - 2 3/4 - 1oz - 7 1/2 shot

ribbed or smooth hulls?

GJ

I was just at Bass Pro Shops and picked up Winchester "Xtra Light Target Loads" for $7.50 a box

Roy,

I bought four boxes of these at Wallyworld a couple weeks ago for cheap 16yd trap practice. Ribbed hulls, steel base.

Shot two boxes last weekend and you could not GIVE me any more. Not up to JUNK standards. Quality control non-existent:

1. Two shells in each box were oversize and would not fit smoothly in my Citori chambers. NEVER had that with any shell, any brand before.

2. Plus, each box had one squib - factory loads mind you! :ph34r::wacko:

Never again. :angry:

EDITED FOR CLARITY: The above shells are Winchester bargain "Super-Target", "Xtra-Lite Target Load" - 12ga, 2 3/4in, 2 3/4 Dr Eq, 1 oz, NUMBER 9 shot. "TRGTL129"

Harvey

If anyone is looking for featherlights, thay may be dissapointed eith the xtra lights. Not the same animal. AA12FL8......they really aren't difficult to find. A bunch of online sources.

Roy,

I bought four boxes of these at Wallyworld a couple weeks ago for cheap 16yd trap practice. Ribbed hulls, steel base.

Actually, I just looked at the Xtra-Lites # AAL127 I just bought. Non ribbed hulls and brass bases..........

http://www.winchester.com/products/shotshell-ammunition/aa/target-loads/Pages/AAL127.aspx

Actually, I just looked at the Xtra-Lites # AAL127 I just bought. Non ribbed hulls and brass bases..........

http://www.winchester.com/products/shotshell-ammunition/aa/target-loads/Pages/AAL127.aspx

Good news, you should be fine - those are higher quality.

There are several different "Xtra-Lites". See my edited post above for additional info on the cra%%y ones I had - TRGTL129.

Harvey

I think I discovered why I was having so much trouble. I was looking for a black box with a yellow star thing on the top. They've changed boxes. I just got a case in today and found the difference. Here's a picture of them. Old on Left, New on right.

http://www.wincheste...ges/AAL127.aspx

Those shells are still not what folks buy when they want a great, soft cowboy load. Your shells have 1 ounce of shot at 1150 FPS. Great for trap - more than is needed for cowboy targets. They will work fine, but they are not the old "featherlites".

The AAFL128 are the gold standard for factory loads for cowboy shooting. That has 24 grams (about 7/8 ounce) of shot, and a velocity of about 970 FPS. Big difference in recoil.

And, yes, it does seem Winchester has lost any common sense in naming shotgun shells and affixing intelligible product codes to them. Quite a confusing product line that Winchester has now. No wonder most gun-store "CLARKS" have no clue what they are talking about anymore with Winchester shotshell products.

Good luck, GJ

Archived