SASS Wire Forum

National Anthem perfromed by Kelly Clarkson

Let me make this very clear I wore Army green and served my country under that flag and I EARNED the right to have an opinion in this matter. DID YOU!

Excuse me sir, but I never knew that a person had to EARN the right to have an opinion. Does that come from the cop training, that you are in charge and everyone else can SHUT UP, I'm talking?

I SURE DID, so that makes my opinion just as valueable is yours, ya think? JUst because someone has a differing opinion, is that what ya call a personal attack? Must be. :lol:

I find it strange that folks are talking violence to each other over the way a song, our National Anthem, was sung at a sporting event. An anthem representing the values we, as a nation stand for, as well as the rights that both of you swore to defend by virtue of your service in the uniform of our country.

Guess I’m just an old curmudgeon, but it just doesn’t make sense to me. I always thought this is what PM’s were for. Carry on.

And here I thought I would be the one creating disagreement and discontent with my post. I'm with Red on this one.

I find it strange that folks are talking violence to each other over the way a song, our National Anthem, was sung at a sporting event. An anthem representing the values we, as a nation stand for, as well as the rights that both of you swore to defend by virtue of your service in the uniform of our country.

Guess Im just an old curmudgeon, but it just doesnt make sense to me. I always thought this is what PMs were for. Carry on.

I was just expressing a simple opinion that there might just an alternative to The Star Spangled Banner as a national anthem when again I was bushwhacked by these two. I have not mentioned or threatened violence. I don't like my character called into question for having an opinion

It is however my opinion that there might be other songs that better express the values, ideals and concepts that make this country great.

It would probably go a long way toward difussing the situation if you'd give an example or two of the songs you think would "better express the values, ideals and concepts that make this country great".

It would probably go a long way toward difussing the situation if you'd give an example or two of the songs you think would "better express the values, ideals and concepts that make this country great".

Good call. And perhaps add a how or why.

Seems sensible.

Good job girl :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Boy you got a lot of nerve stirring up such a hornets nest with a post like that. :blink::unsure::rolleyes:

I think some of you fellers might want to take a break and have a nice cool drink.

This is starting to look like the old Political Fire....and that ain't a good thing.

Boy you got a lot of nerve stirring up such a hornets nest with a post like that. :blink::unsure::rolleyes:

I think some of you fellers might want to take a break and have a nice cool drink.

This is starting to look like the old Political Fire....and that ain't a good thing.

Probably a good idea.

Good call. And perhaps add a how or why.

Im kind of partial to either God Bless America, or America the Beautiful. Both are easier to sing and less bombastic than The Star Spangled Banner.

Both tell a little more about the beauty of this country and the strength of our resolve as a nation. Of course since they have the word God in them that will never happen

I’m kind of partial to either God Bless America, or America the Beautiful. Both are easier to sing and less bombastic than The Star Spangled Banner.

Both tell a little more about the beauty of this country and the strength of our resolve as a nation. Of course since they have the word God in them that will never happen

I will refer you to my earlier post on the topic regarding America the Beautiful and The Star Spangled Banner. I would say that much the same applies to God Bless America, except it is shorter in length. To change to that latter would be somewhat underwhelming to me. Interestingly, I see both alternatives as offering much less in the way of showing our strength and our resolve as a nation.

And yes, as one of the non-Christians out there, having what is at its essence a prayer for a national anthem does seem a bit "curious," to use the word I used in that previous post.

Sorry for the controversial thread...:huh:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Don't let it happen again! :lol:

I don't see the controversy coming from the origin of the thread. Sometimes things just have a way of going off on their own tangent.

I will refer you to my earlier post on the topic regarding America the Beautiful and The Star Spangled Banner. I would say that much the same applies to God Bless America, except it is shorter in length. To change to that latter would be somewhat underwhelming to me. Interestingly, I see both alternatives as offering much less in the way of showing our strength and our resolve as a nation.

And yes, as one of the non-Christians out there, having what is at its essence a prayer for a national anthem does seem a bit "curious," to use the word I used in that previous post.

Agreed but remember Christians are not the only ones to believe in or worship a god or gods.

For those who don't want to believe that this country was founded on Judeo-Christian principals one has only to look at the original Continental dollars printed in that period between the end of the reveloution and the seating of Persident Washington. They each have the image of the ten commandments.

Agreed but remember Christians are not the only ones to believe in or worship a god or gods.

For those who don't want to believe that this country was founded on Judeo-Christian principals one has only to look at the original Continental dollars printed in that period between the end of the reveloution and the seating of Persident Washington. They each have the image of the ten commandments.

WOW! As apparent as are distaste is for one another, I finally found something we can agree on. This country was founded on the belief of a higher power and what seems to be a large portion of our populations dislike for it is one of the many reasons for our problems.

I'm going to need to be careful in crafting my response, because we are tip-toeing into dangerous territory.

Our country was indeed founded upon Judeo-Christian principles, and in general, those principles form a solid basis of laws and mores by which we can conduct ourselves. However, we are a country peopled by more than Christians, Jews and Muslims, all who profess to worship the same God, albeit by different names and in different ways. So does that mean we should require those who do not worship the same God to acknowledge God in the national anthem? I would say not. Remember, Hindus worship Gods differently than Christians, Buddhists don't worship a God at all, as well as pagans, agnostics, atheists and many more. So can we be Americans if we don't worship the Judeo-Christian God? I and others I know to be Buddhists, atheists, agnostics, Hindus and pagans have put on the uniform to serve the country, and have willingly gone to war to fight for her. It seems requiring us to acknowledge the Judeo-Christian God as part of our pride in country goes not just against the grain, but against the basis of our principles as a nation, and demeans our faith, whatever it may be. God Bless America does just that, and America the Beautiful only somewhat less so. The Star Spangled Banner is about pride in country, pride in resolve and the unwillingness to accept defeat. It is about the American spirit, pure and simple. It seems like it accomplishes so much, so gracefully, and is inclusive rather than exclusive.

I hope this is not too much of a ramble, it is getting late as I type this.

WOW! As apparent as are distaste is for one another, I finally found something we can agree on. This country was founded on the belief of a higher power and what seems to be a large portion of our populations dislike for it is one of the many reasons for our problems.

I am not sure what you mean by "our populations (sic) dislike for it." I would assert that we have many problems, but they come from a variety of sources. It is our common ground in things like freedom to worship that bind us. If anything, it is our tendency to forget that freedom, and to respect that others have that freedom to be different that causes problems. Let me try to briefly explain. I see "Christian bashing" occurring, much to my sadness, but I also recognize that intolerance can come from any direction. I attempt to look for value in all faiths (even atheism!) although I am only recently slowly realizing my own faith.

I am reminded of a quote by Thomas Jefferson. I have used it before, and it is possibly my favorite since my Con Law professor uttered it in class years ago.

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

Archived