SASS Wire Forum

National Anthem perfromed by Kelly Clarkson

She can sing alright but I still don't appreciate all of the extra inflections she added....don't appreciate that from any of the singers. They all try to make it about them....make the song their own. It's not about them and it's not their own personal song!! It's the national anthem for heaven's sake. Sing it right and give it the respect it deserves.

Just the view from my saddle.

The song should be sung straight up! This is not the place to showcase your vocal talents past keeping time, staying on key, and remembering all the words!!! With the exception of the scream at the "land of the free," point, Steven Tyler did a better if not as "pretty" job.

STOP HAMMING IT UP AND SING IT STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Compared to how others make the song 'thier own' she was subtle ~ good job Ms. Clarkson ;)

Steve Tyler did a better job??? hardly :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Wish they'd sing it like they were performing for a group of old battle scarred vets and were really afraid they'd blow it. They need to sing for us and not themselves. All in all Clarkson did it okay. It was a breath of fresh air compared to most.

I think that the lady did a beautiful job. I saw nothing out of line with her performance, she sang the song with the dignity and respect that is called for. So what if her inflections were a little different as she tried to put some true emotion into her rendition

She did okay. Was borderline a few times but overall it was acceptable...to me anyway.

Not that what I think matters anyway.

She can sing alright but I still don't appreciate all of the extra inflections she added....don't appreciate that from any of the singers. They all try to make it about them....make the song their own. It's not about them and it's not their own personal song!! It's the national anthem for heaven's sake. Sing it right and give it the respect it deserves.

=====================================================

That's what bugs me about it. Why can't they just be content to sing it as it was meant to be sung, straight up and unadorned with embellishments?

She did a nice job. The timing was perfect, of course the drummers helped keep it in time and the kid's chorus behind her was a nice touch. She's got a good voice ,I think, and she hit the high notes very nicely. Good job Kelly!:FlagAm::)

You tell 'em KK!!!

Sing it the way it's supposed to be sung. What's three minutes out of your glorious career to honor your country and fellow citizens? Save the inflections for your pop albums. Trouble is most people don't care any more and just want to be entertained. It's sad!

Not a prude, but didn't really like the finger and the profanity during family time at all either. It says a lot about where we are as a country.

Glad I DVR'd it so I could FF through the crap.

Safe trails,

CKid

She did a nice job. The timing was perfect, of course the drummers helped keep it in time and the kid's chorus behind her was a nice touch. She's got a good voice ,I think, and she hit the high notes very nicely. Good job Kelly!:FlagAm::)

+1

I don’t see at all where the lady tried to make the song about her.

I swear that if Francis Scott Key came back from the dead and sang it someone would still bitch.

It’s time for that song to go away anyhow, there are many better choices for an anthem that reflects the values and beliefs of America

I don’t see at all where the lady tried to make the song about her.

I swear that if Francis Scott Key came back from the dead and sang it someone would still bitch.

It’s time for that song to go away anyhow, there are many better choices for an anthem that reflects the values and beliefs of America

"I'd like to teach the world........"

NAH!! No way!!

I will respectfully disagree that it is time for the song to go away. Yes, it is difficult for most to sing, let alone sing well. But, It isn't about our leader, putting the government at the center of its message, as in God Save the Queen. It isn't a song of revolution and the killing of tyrants as is La Marseillaise. At its core it seems to be about the spirit, the backbone if you will, of the American people, about a certain rebellious pride that urges us forward, not surrendering under the most impossible odds. It was that spirit and pride that forged us from colonies into a nation under impossible odds, and has motivated us ever since. America the Beautiful is a nice song, don't get me wrong. However, it isn't until beyond the first verse, all most people know, that lyrics regarding the people and not the land truly come into play. Even then, in my opinion, it seems to be as much about manifest destiny as anything else.

Taking a risk of creating a small tempest, for the non-Christians among us, singing of God in every verse would also seem... curious. In the Star Spangled Banner there is reference to our trust being in God, but not until the fourth verse.

Finally, there is that sense of pride and indomitable will that is represented by our flag in the song, and by the story of Fort McHenry and the actual Star Spangled Banner in history. It is truly fitting that it is played as the flag is raised. The "Banner that yet waves."

Oh, and I don't mind a little embellishment. Ms. Clarkson seemed to do just fine.

Personally, I think it's pretty hard to beat the performances done by some of our armed services choruses. Heard the Air Force Chorus sing it at Disneyland this past summer and it was absolutely awesome. They didn't try to "showboat" it or give it the now-typical "Hollywood pizazz." They sang it straight, accompanied by the U.S.A.F. band, and it still brought a tear to my eye. Can't say that too much about some of these other performers.

I think it is not personalization of the song but emphasizing of the greatness and feelings about our country. Some overuse or misuse this vocalization. Kelly and other country singers do well in singing the National Anthem. Steven Tyler and Rosanne Barr (>_<) is just over the top and downright disrespectful. I like Jimi Hendrix's guitar solo but I cannot see myself standing in attention to his version. It is not the national anthem. I also hate how the anthem is sang during the Dallas Stars games when everyone shouts STARS! every time the word Star comes up.

The Marine band is a good example of playing it the anthem straight forward. No embellishment but you can't fault some singers adding a little, emphasize on little, feeling to his/her singing.

Look at the bright side, she didn't forget the lyrics and screwed it up.

Listen to the subtle addition of feeling to Master Sergeant Frank Thomas singing of the National Anthem

Here is the US Marine Band and Bugle Corp. Listen to the subtle personalization.

Personally, I think it's pretty hard to beat the performances done by some of our armed services choruses. Heard the Air Force Chorus sing it at Disneyland this past summer and it was absolutely awesome. They didn't try to "showboat" it or give it the now-typical "Hollywood pizazz." They sang it straight, accompanied by the U.S.A.F. band, and it still brought a tear to my eye. Can't say that too much about some of these other performers.

Nothing like it being performed by a choir, in my opinion.

I still have the version my high school choir performed back in 1984, and it still gives me a bit of a shock of amazement when I hear it. Not only that we were (in my opinion) good, but that I was a part of it. Some would not like the embellishment of having a soprano jump the octave on the word "free" toward the end, but I do. I have it copied from tape to CD, although the wear from the old tape can be heard. I still take pride in it though.

Edit:

Master Sergeant Thomas did a phenomenal job as well!

I keep going back and listening to the Steven Tyler rendition in my head. He was on key. He was on time. With the exception of the one squeal, scream or whatever you want to call it, he did nothing to agrandise himself, and that could be atributed to exuberance as much as anything. HE SANG IT STRAIGHT!!

I like Kelly. She is talented and has a good clear female voice. She started out well and I had hopes for a really clean rendition. The performance was well rehearsed and there were no real bad spots. I just really really wish she done it straight.

This is our national anthem. It does, as Doc Ward says, represent what we are and what we believe as well as how we feel about our flag and our nation. I'm not ready to put anything out there in it's place. :FlagAm:

LOL, glad it still sounds good to you Doc.

In Jr. high, we had a record made of one of our band concerts. At the time I was really pumped because we'd nailed every number. I listened to it years later and it sounded really crappy :D

LOL, glad it still sounds good to you Doc.

In Jr. high, we had a record made of one of our band concerts. At the time I was really pumped because we'd nailed every number. I listened to it years later and it sounded really crappy :D

I would post it if I could figure out how. We were fortunate to have a highly talented choir, with many of us, myself included, singing in college. In my case, I blame a lack of baritones rather than any real talent on my part. There are parts where I think we sound a bit off, but I think that is due more to the age of the tape. It was 25 years old when it was put on CD as a gift from my daughters. They both sing in their high school select choir and are a whole lot better than me, and they think it sounds good too. I don't want to sound like I am bragging, the end product was a result of the talents of the whole, and not myself. I was just lucky to be a part of the whole.

The problem with band concerts and choir concerts was typically really crappy acoustics making everything sound worse. Our "live" stuff suffered from the same problem, although some of it sounds OK. Our performance of the National Anthem was planned, with a professional sound truck, mics, and an acoustic shell. We practiced our tails off, warmed up and went to work one evening to get as much done as we could. Some songs were done more than once due to obvious mistakes, many weren't.

Of course my daughter and her classmates did a fine job themselves :) Sassy Sunshine is the 7th girl from the left in the from row ;)

God Bless America!

This is my favorite Kelly Clarkson Kelly Clarkson

Barkeep...that's just not right!!!

Oh, and your weblink isn't constructed properly so it doesn't work. The link should be..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T2n_n9H67g&feature=related

Barkeep...that's just not right!!!

Oh, and your weblink isn't constructed properly so it doesn't work. The link should be..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T2n_n9H67g&feature=related

Ahhhhhh! I can't get the link to work. Someone will have to show me how to do it.

I sure as hell hope you are kiddin, reckin ya voted for O'bimbo. :lol: :lol:

When I sing it, I tend to add just a bit more punch to "...land of the free.." and hold that note just a bit longer. Just seems to call for it. And I wore the uniform, so I feel a bit entitled to it.

A Nation of Individuals. The Anthem loses something if it was always done the same exact way. I like it a bit up-tempo, not sung like a lament or dirge.

Now if I was performing for 60,000 people, plus the TV viewers, I wouldn't stray _too_ far off the north 40. But I would still likely hit the one spot a bit harder, and longer, than the rest.

But I totally get Ted Nugent's raw-passion snarl-amped screaming-metal guitar riff Anthem at a rock show. And I also get the more Hymn-like military renditions, crisp, precise, and squared away.

Hit the notes right, sing it with heart and pride, and spit in the eye of the dark things that live in the shadows, that are jealous of what we have crafted and fearful of the ass-kicking we will surely inflict if threatened.

Hit the notes right, sing it with heart and pride, and spit in the eye of the dark things that live in the shadows, that are jealous of what we have crafted and fearful of the ass-kicking we will surely inflict if threatened.

Here here...well said. I'll drink to that!!

I sure as hell hope you are kiddin, reckin ya voted for O'bimbo. :lol: :lol:

I have nothing against the Star Spangled Banner, When it is played I snap to attention, remove my hat and cover my heart or render a hand salute. It is however my opinion that there might be other songs that better express the values, ideals and concepts that make this country great.

This is the second time you have issued a personal attack against me for having an opinion. Something that you find easy to do from the safety of an alias and a key board half a continent away.

Let me make this very clear I wore Army green and served my country under that flag and I EARNED the right to have an opinion in this matter. DID YOU!

I have nothing against the Star Spangled Banner, When it is played I snap to attention, remove my hat and cover my heart or render a hand salute. It is however my opinion that there might be other songs that better express the values, ideals and concepts that make this country great.

This is the second time you have issued a personal attack against me for having an opinion. Something that you find easy to do from the safety of an alias and a key board half a continent away.

Let me make this very clear I wore Army green and served my country under that flag and I EARNED the right to have an opinion in this matter. DID YOU!

If the values and beliefs you speak of are your apparent values and beliefs, I'd hate to think what song would be chosen.

If the values and beliefs you speak of are your apparent values and beliefs, I'd hate to think what song would be chosen.

Another personal attack from a keybord coward for having an opinion.

Archived