SASS Wire Forum

Reintroduction

Tonk Thimblerig

Ok, so I've only been here a couple months, but have already changed aliases. Scout Sonnor was meant to be funny; a snake-oil salesman named Scout Sonnor ("you can trust me, scouts honor"). But, a lot of people would pronounce it "Sooner", and then it didn't make any sense. And once you have to start explaining it, it's not funny anymore.

Tonk Thimblerig is kinda catchy, both names are the names of old gambling games, and Denver Pyle's character in John Wayne's "The Alamo" was called Thimblerig. I think I'll adopt him as "Gran'pappy".

Well, I really liked Scout Sonnor, a lot, but I'm an old (emphasis on old) Boy Scout. An' my alias requires some explanation a lot of the time, too. Just got used to it - and it really made discussion/connection when some folks recognized it.

But if'n you like and prefer the new one, we'll go with ya! Welcome back Tonk!!! :);):)

Harvey

I would never pick an alis that was a play on words! It makes the game look silly to outsiders, demeans the grandur and historic significance of the game, and makes a joke out of the seriousness of the history of the settlment of this country.

Bugs Bonney

I would never pick an alis that was a play on words! It makes the game look silly to outsiders, demeans the grandur and historic significance of the game, and makes a joke out of the seriousness of the history of the settlment of this country.

Bugs Bonney

:lol: :lol:

Tonk is a game that I, as a commissioned officer was not permitted to learn to play. It was strictly an NCOs game.

I agree with Bugs that a name must be chosen that typlifys a particular trade or individual in the old west.

I liked Scout Sonnor too. You shouldn't concern yourself with illiterate cretins who are unable to properly pronounce the King's English and immerse yourself in the higher cultural and intellectual pursuits common

among the denizens of The Saloon. ;)

Scout Sooner indeed! Sometimes finely crafted subtlety is wasted. :rolleyes:

I liked Scout Sonnor too. You shouldn't concern yourself with illiterate cretins who are unable to properly pronounce the King's English and immerse yourself in the higher cultural and intellectual pursuits common

among the denizens of The Saloon. ;)

Scout Sooner indeed! Sometimes finely crafted subtlety is wasted. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have been infested with cretins. Not only that, they are illiterate.

What is illiterate? :unsure:

Welcome back, Tonk. Good to have ya around in whatever reincarnation ya prefer.

Ya might want to invest in a pair of (period correct) hip waders - it do tend ta get a bit deep at times!

Archived