SASS Wire Forum

Finish for an old shotgun

Holiday Hayes SASS#39,336

Howdy! I have an old Stevens 311 that is rough as a cobb on the outside, nice and purdy in the bores. I don't have the time or funds for a nice rebluing and was considering Duracoat as I've used it before with great success . Is Duracoat SASS legal? it is basically a high end paint. I intend to stick with black or their gunblue color. Thanks!

Howdy! I have an old Stevens 311 that is rough as a cobb on the outside, nice and purdy in the bores. ...Was considering Duracoat as I've used it before with great success . Is Duracoat SASS legal?

Sure, you can duracoat a firearm. A black or dark blue will probably not even get noticed.

Get the metal really clean, or you may have rust develop under the Duracoat, causing bumps and perhaps peeling.

Good luck, GJ

You could polish it up with some fine, 600 grit, wet or dry sand paper and leave it in the white. Just keep it well oiled or use one of the anti-rust coatings. You could get style points

Longshot Logan's procedure for antiqueing a handgun will work on a shotgun or rifle also.

I've done it, and I think it looks classy.

...takes courage though...When you apply the Plum Brown finish you will say to yourself, "what have I done to my gun??". Have faith, it polishes out.

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Antiquing_SAA_Revolver.pdf

I agree with Fast Tracker. I have an old Lefever Nitro Special. It's bluing is gone but it sure looks good.

Archived