SASS Wire Forum

So does anyone shoot IPSC?

Eamon Chute

So one of the officers at the station I'm assigned to shoots IPSC. He's VERY interested in shooting cowboy so we have a lot to talk about during our watch. We're also fortunate that our range offers both and we're going to set each other up to give the other's "addiction" a try.

My questions are, after reading through the IDPA thread, who on here has tried/shoots IPSC? What do you think? Mostly about the atmosphere around a shoot, and the kind of people attracted to it? What should I expect?

Thanks for your input.

EC

I started IPSC in 1976 and shot matches for 20 years its fun and hard. It is a more deliberate competion than CAS what I used to call "tight lipped" meaning no smiles. IMHO CAS is much more difficult to master because you must learn to use three tools rifle, shotgun and pistol. Then master the head game (remembering the course of fire). Good luck you will enjoy I'm sure just don't expect the level of friendlyness you find at CAS matches.

Semper Fi

Quit IPSC(South West Pistol League"SWPL")20+ years ago. Shot "Stock-Class" w/1911.

Became to much of a "gear race" for me. Kinda like where SASS is headed now ;)

BPCR(blackpowder cart. rifle) is where it's "at" for me, these days B)

Respectfully,

LG

Yes. I shoot it, USPSA, but haven't got to shoot it a lot. There are the Open raceguns with optics and 28 round mags along with divisions including Production, with limited alterations to the gun and 10 rounds mags maximum. Also Single Stack for 1911's and 7 or 8 round mags. You don't have to shoot an Open racegun. A lot of SASS shooters say they enjoy shooting stages where the shooter has the option to shoot the stage without every detail be specified. That's basically how USPSA stages are shot. Generally you have a start position and then you just have to make sure you shoot all the targets on that particular stage. Your choice of target order. One big difference in USPSA or IDPA matches is that you will shoot at handgun targets from reach out and touch them range to 25 or 30 yards. I enjoy SASS, IDPA, USPSA and ICORE (double action revolver). Everyone of them are a lot of fun to me, with different challenges. I just don't see the huge difference in the people that are involved with the different shooting sports that others say they run across. I'd put SASS people up against any other shooting sport, as far as having a lot of great people, but there are always going to be a few stinkers no matter what you're doing.

Also, I've defended SASS many times on other gun forums, from people who think they know what cowboy shooting is and don't know what they are talking about. Smokin Gator

I shot IPSC from 1984 until 2004. Never entered the arms race, shooting a single stack 45. I did play with a compensator for a while, until they started offering limited classes. There are some prima-donnas, some snobs, but mostly good folks. Just like every shooting sport I have ever been around. I don't shoot it now because I moved from Ohio to Missouri and there aren't any clubs within reasonable distance. Kinda miss it, but not a lot, SASS is more funner and has a lighter atmosphere. Just mu 2 cents.

Shot it from the late 80s to the mid 90s. The master class doesn't associate with the D,C, and B, class. Real snobby and "PRACTICAL" is not what IPSC was about. Been shooting cowboy for the last 5 years and have fun at every match!

:FlagAm:

I shoot black powder single stack 1911 minor. One handed to boot.

I enjoy it.

Some people don't know how to smile and have fun, just like at some CAS clubs I went to.

But they're not my problem.

I into it when a local club had an 'intro' class to try it out. Lot's of fun.

Just like CAS, can be too much fun.......

Remember, that's how CAS/SASS was started... :rolleyes:

The Judge suggested to some of his IPSC buddies that they try shooting a course with their ol' "Cowboy" guns just for the fun of it.

The rest, as they say, is history! ^_^

I used to. Shot a Series 70 .38 Super. I'm another one that got tired of all the hi-tech supergear and the sour faces. I didn't shoot with a group for almost 20 years, then found CAS pretty much by accident. :)

Archived