SASS Wire Forum

97 barrel ?

Lankyframe #44046

Mines 30" and i'm keeping it that way. I like long shotguns. I started with a long double, liked using it. I used a "couch" gun for a while, used up a lot more shells. Back to a long barrel for me. But I'm always the ODD one in the posse. My pistols don't match, my leather doesn't match. I shoot "unmodified" guns (gasp), My favorite rifle is an old "unworked" Rossie '92 (double gasp).

So do what YOU want to do and don't worry what others think.

I've had 3 of them over the years cut to 20" and screw in chokes

installed. I wouldn't go shorter. 22" might be ok. I sold one to

Ranger Fischels last summer that you could look at or bring one of

mine up for you to try.

Mosey West

18.5 to 20 works for me.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I've put on a 20" Numrich barrel w/o choke.

And I kept the original Win 30" full for the hell of it.

MG

Do keep in mind that US Federal law requires a barrel length of at least 18 inches. VERY Important!

SASS rules also require 18 inches Shooters Handbook page 5 (17th edition, there is a more current version).

I like 20 inches.

magazine tube still looks right.

Just my 2 cents worth.

18.25 so its legal no matter who measures it! Use a pipe cutter and install a big bead. Followed this advice from Longshot and LD.

Considering the amount of abuse we put them through I have no problem worrying about what I am doing to the length of it.

As you can see, you will get many opinions. What works for some doesn't feel right to others. I do a lot of 97 and most are cut

between 20 and 22". Personally the ones that I shoot are 21".

Johnny Meadows

I have 5.

All are set at 18.25".

My main match does not have any bead. My back-ups do have a bead. I prefer NO bead but really can't tell much difference.

..........Widder

18"

When taken down, both halves are the same length.

You have to cut down that boat oar of a stock> :)

Reckon it depends on how big your butt is. ;)

Or your length of pull. :rolleyes:

...which is why I added that "YMMV". :P

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Longer barrels point better!! At least 22 inches and choked in case ya run into those snake stages. Remember those...? Ha!

Hey there Lankyframe, sounds like you might want to try some of the club members shotgun out to see what length you like, that is my advise since you are tall and skinny with long arms, at least you could see the different lengths and see what feels good to you, just keep the 30", that might slow you down some, LOL, this is my view, take it or leave it

All for now JD Trampas

Well,Lanky, have you decided on a length yet from all this advice?

What you might do when you get out the hacksaw is cut the barrel off

on the rear end. That would save having to re-install the bead on the

front.

Mosey West

If it's a Winchester and in it's original factory configuration I might think long and hard about altering it by shortening the barrel. Keep in mind what $$$ it may fetch in the future.

Longer barrels point better!! At least 22 inches and choked in case ya run into those snake stages. Remember those...? Ha!

Did you have to bring that up? :wacko: I HATE them damned snakes :ph34r:

Short barreled shotguns blast more and kick harder. Long barreled shotguns point & aim better, and have better balance too.

Surprised nobody brought up that old chestnut about being more maneuverable on a stage.

Since 99% of your shooting is in the open, a short CQB scattergun seems kind of pointless.

As Big Boots Willy noted, the $$$ factor should be considered. They ain't making any more of them, and even shabby ones are fetching upwards of $700. You didn't mention what model it is either. Be a shame to see someone take a $6000 Black Diamond or Pigeon Grade and hack it into a $200 beater gun.

If you must whittle it down, 24" is about the best shotgun barrel length I've found. Short enough to be handy, long enough to sight and balance well.

Short barreled shotguns blast more and kick harder. Long barreled shotguns point & aim better, and have better balance too.

Surprised nobody brought up that old chestnut about being more maneuverable on a stage.

Since 99% of your shooting is in the open, a short CQB scattergun seems kind of pointless.As Big Boots Willy noted, the $$$ factor should be considered. They ain't making any more of them, and even shabby ones are fetching upwards of $700. You didn't mention what model it is either. Be a shame to see someone take a $6000 Black Diamond or Pigeon Grade and hack it into a $200 beater gun.

If you must whittle it down, 24" is about the best shotgun barrel length I've found. Short enough to be handy, long enough to sight and balance well.

Well 80% of our shootinn' is through windows and off short porches like

......so I'll bring it up for ya'. I like em short 18.5 even my SKB is that length.

I have two 97's One with a 20" and the other with a 28"

I'd always thought that shorter was better, but since I got the 28" and tried it a few times, I'm not so sure anymore. To date, while I have occasionally failed to knock down a SG target with the short barrel, I have never missed with the long one.

Not sure why that is, and it may be a unique variation for me alone.

That being said, I would advise against cutting an original long barrel. I see short ones on the use market all the time, but hardly ever a long one. I'd be willing to guess that you could sell the long one to someone, maybe here on the wire, who really wants one like that for more than what a short would cost you to purchase.

On the other hand, I'd say keep the long, get a short, try both, and then use what makes the most sense to you personally.

Well Mosey, I was thinking I 'd take it out of the middle that way I could save the front bead and the interupted threads. ;-)

It's just a simple 97, VG shape. Sometimes that long barrel gets in the way on a stage but when you put the bead on a target it goes down FAST. Looking for some balance between the two

My original matching barrel for my takedown 12 was left at 30" for field use and to protect the value of the gun.

I found a barrel marked 97/12, cut it to 22" and had it fitted. Works great.

12" pattern at 15 yards seems to be just right.

I would really like to find the parts to complete a front assembly so that changing barrels was easier.

Since 99% of your shooting is in the open, a short CQB scattergun seems kind of pointless.

As Big Boots Willy noted, the $$ factor should be considered. They ain't making any more of them, and even shabby ones are fetching upwards of $700. You didn't mention what model it is either. Be a shame to see someone take a $6000 Black Diamond or Pigeon Grade and hack it into a $200 beater gun.

There's a big difference between a $200.00 beater and a $6,000.00 collector grade. Very few 97s that are still in circulation in gun shows are collector grade and shortening the barrels won't affect the value at all since the only value they have is as shooters.

There's a big difference between a $200.00 beater and a $6,000.00 collector grade. Very few 97s that are still in circulation in gun shows are collector grade and shortening the barrels won't affect the value at all since the only value they have is as shooters.

I have seen some 97's at shows that were indeed clapped-out beaters, and I have seen some that were collector grade with prices reflecting both ends of the spectrum. Being something of an historical preservationist, I prefer to advise on the side of caution when dealing with older items. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's valueless. A little research can prevent a costly mistake.

Case in point - some time back a new pard posted a question about cutting down a Belgian shotgun that had been a WWII bringback. The first responder assumed that since it was Belgian it was junk and advised taking the saw to it. Based on the OP's information, it turned out the gun in question had been made by one of the premier sporting arms companies of Belgium and it had a value of somewhere between $18,000 and $30,000.

Two years ago I was at a gun show, and one of the vendors had some old small revolvers on his table. One in particular caught my eye, and I asked to see it. He says "Oh, you like these crappy old pocket pistols, eh?" I bought one for $60. I had a hunch it was something more, and I was right. The last of the Hopkins & Allen Safety Police models with a Blue Book value of $600.

Not everything old is worthless crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread

I just bought a 97 made in 1949. The seller said that it had only 6 rounds fired. Now it is up to twenty rounds fired.

The gun is in as new condition.

It will be paired up with my 100 year old 97 that is still in really good shape. These shotguns are for Wild Bunch. I shoot doubles in CAS.

This shotgun is not a collector sought after gun. Up here 97's are just eastern duck shooters to most gun people. Only Cowboy Action Shooters are interested in them and they will be interested no matter what the barrel length

The barrel will be bobbed to 22 1/2" Gasp!

Stoney

Archived