SASS Wire Forum

State Championship Admin. Fee

Creeker, SASS #43022

Maybe I am blind but I just read over the 2013 contract that I just received from SASS and there is no mention of a $5.00 fee.

JM

JM,

It is the bottom item in the list of things the club is asked to do.

This was mentioned in passing at the state match directors meeting. Because it was not starting until 2013, it did not raise an eyebrow.

For those that are saying there was no prior notice, it is not in effect until the 2013 matches. In my mind, that is lots of prior notice.

Roo

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1. People spend more on a burger and fries and don't think twice.

+2 Really a non issue in terms of the overall cost of attending any major match. Add the $5.00 and move on. :)

1. Free advertisement in the back of the Chronicle each month a line add $5.00 per month x 12 total $60.00

For all clubs not just those that put on state championships.

2. Free match article in the Chronicle once a year. Full page article $ 700.00 or more

There's gonna be a lot of clubs that put on state championships that want to hear more about this. Unless it's changed since the last time that I handled it part of being awarded the state championship included the club agreeing to pay, standard rate, for at least a quarter page add. When did they make it free?

5. 10 gift certificates or so in Free SASS Mercantile goods. 10ea. at $25.oo per certificate Total $250.00

6. Door Prizes in a box that Slipnoose prepares herself for match give a ways. Maybe $100.oo or so.....

Probably going to be more than a few interested in hearing more about this too.

Sorry, I just happen to think that the deal that they had going was the best one for all involved. Volunteers took personal time and effort and very often injected cash into putting on the match. They agreed to pay for the ad in the chronicle, free banquets and match fees for visiting SASS officials, provide SASS with a shooters list so that SASS could check for valid memberships and more often than not they provide SASS officials with free board while at the match. SASS gets top billing on all advertisement, free advertisement for SASS, SASS gets free spots on all club websites, all articles they publish for the match, they get free vendor space at the matches with tent space included. There's more in the contract...

It's unheard of for any SASS state level or above match to not have something to put up as a door prize to collect money for the SASS scholarship fund.

And ya know what? Now they won't even guarantee that my category will be honored at a state level match and as a female shooter the more time I invest in SASS the less likely that my category will be honored. Yeah that's off topic but not really.

Last but not least, the majority of the people that do shoot SASS matches don't post here and the majority of the people do gripe about a $5 increase in fees whether it be match fees, or the cost of rooms at the host hotel or the loss of the free breakfast at the host hotel.

JM,

It is the bottom item in the list of things the club is asked to do.

This was mentioned in passing at the state match directors meeting. Because it was not starting until 2013, it did not raise an eyebrow.

For those that are saying there was no prior notice, it is not in effect until the 2013 matches. In my mind, that is lots of prior notice.

Roo

When are the applications for the 2013 shoots due in? It used to be April/May of the year before which gives you 2 or 3 months.

Now I'm kinda going out on a limb here.. Has anyone mentioned that SASS gives your match.

1. Free advertisement in the back of the Chronicle each month a line add $5.00 per month x 12 total $60.00

2. Free match article in the Chronicle once a year. Full page article $ 700.00 or more

3. Free website so you can post your match in the Events section. That would be $3.00 per month x 12 =$36.00

4. Free belt buckles or scarf slides for main match and State Wild Bunch match's. 2 ea. at $100 equals $200.00

5. 10 gift certificates or so in Free SASS Mercantile goods. 10ea. at $25.oo per certificate Total $250.00

6. Door Prizes in a box that Slipnoose prepares herself for match give a ways. Maybe $100.oo or so.....

7. Total,,, SASS pays your club to put on a State level match might be around and not a HARD figure of $$$ $1346.00

Now if you run a Regional match add up all you door prizes donated through SASS Regional Sponsorship Program add about about $2500 bucks.

Now the Total is up around????? $3846.....

I personally think this one is a no brainer. SASS provides a great deal for us in the State, Regional and National contracts. Five bucks does not seem so much when you break it all down.

Maybe SASS can start a points system and award prizes at EOT for High points winners.... It can be done very easy by tracking shooters at each approved point level match... It works well in other sports.

I am for the new program and very excited to see some new changes.... Sometimes things change for the better. I think this is one of those times..We have to let SASS have some leeway on this one. These old guys have been running SASS business for 30 years now... They gotta be doing something right....We will talk more at Winter Range next month...... T-Bone Dooley--- Director and Chief Grounds maintenance Man at the S.W. Regional match in English, Texas...and by the way Thanks for attending our little match in Texas last year and we hope you all come back again... T-Bone Dooley signing out. Good day...

T-Bone, I respect what you do, but I have to look at this from a business angle. And NO, I am not necessarily against this fee, but let's be realistic.

1. "Free" advertisement.....that costs them nothing. Let's face it, they are not turning down paying customers to run that. - $0.00 value

2. "Free" match article.......same as above except that is promoting the sport that they OWN. - $0.00 value

3. I have no idea where you came up with that value but I can go along with that one. - $36.00

4. No argument there. - $200.00

5. No way this "stuff" costs them $25.00. Promotional stuff like that runs about $5.00-$8.00 a pop. - $40.00 to $80.00 max.

6. The door prizes are shameful. I would rather not hand them out, but hey they might make someone's day. - $25.00

7. Not a "hard" figure either, but I say closer to $325.00.

Now, we pay for a $600.00 advertisment in the C.C. I would say they are making out alright on this deal.

Again, very much respect for you and your team in Texas.

SO-

Why is there a $5 sanctioning fee per shooter to SASS beginning in 2013 for SASS Sanctioned State Championships and beginning in 2012 for SASS Sanctioned Regional Championships?

This is certainly a fair question, and one that SASS officials weighed heavily upon prior to making the decision to incorporate the fee. Although sanctioning fees are very common among governing bodies/sanctioning bodies payable to the parent organization, this is certainly new territory for SASS.

SASS has engulfed all costs associated for club affiliation and support, as well as the sanctioning of matches held by those clubs worldwide since its inception. This is something that we have always been proud of. We have close to 700 highly successful clubs worldwide that receive unwavering support from SASS at all times, with absolutely no club affiliation fee, and no cost to the club.

On the club level, SASS provides complete and constant website maintenance and advertising for all clubs, their monthly shoots and contact information, as well as all SASS sanctioned events, unlimited promotional materials upon request, club promotion support, match director and match design support, all while promulgating the rules and regulations that ensure safety and consistency in SASS matches worldwide.

At the level of officially sanctioning a SASS match, costs are incurred in addition to the standard club support, to include additional website promotion and advertising maintenance, trophy buckles for the winners, a $200 prize package on the state level and a $500 prize package on the regional level. SASS also provides unlimited coverage for article submissions, photos, and results for all SASS sanctioned matches in the Cowboy Chronicle post match.

The incorporation of a $5 per shooter sanctioning fee helps to cover some of the administrative costs incurred by the sanctioning parent organization (SASS). Historically, there are 3 ways in which the parent organization imposes a sanctioning fee: 1. Per Event 2. Per Category 3. Per Entrant. The decision to incorporate a sanctioning fee on a "per shooter" basis was chosen with each club's best interest in mind and to accommodate all matches without a great cost hindrance to the individual host club, regardless of its size. This way, the event is charged duly based on the size of the match, rather than a base sanctioning fee that would truly make the smaller matches tremble financially.

SASS takes great consideration of stewardship of these fees and we realize the impact these fees can have on everyone involved. Unfortunately, the escalation of associated cost has made it prohibitive for SASS to continue shouldering the costs on its own.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Misty Moonshine

When are the applications for the 2013 shoots due in? It used to be April/May of the year before which gives you 2 or 3 months.

Camille,

My notes from the convention say May. Not sure if it is the 1st or the 30th. Contact Slipnoose for the real skinny.

Roo

SO-

Why is there a $5 sanctioning fee per shooter to SASS beginning in 2013 for SASS Sanctioned State Championships and beginning in 2012 for SASS Sanctioned Regional Championships?

This is certainly a fair question, and one that SASS officials weighed heavily upon prior to making the decision to incorporate the fee. Although sanctioning fees are very common among governing bodies/sanctioning bodies payable to the parent organization, this is certainly new territory for SASS.

SASS has engulfed all costs associated for club affiliation and support, as well as the sanctioning of matches held by those clubs worldwide since its inception. This is something that we have always been proud of. We have close to 700 highly successful clubs worldwide that receive unwavering support from SASS at all times, with absolutely no club affiliation fee, and no cost to the club.

On the club level, SASS provides complete and constant website maintenance and advertising for all clubs, their monthly shoots and contact information, as well as all SASS sanctioned events, unlimited promotional materials upon request, club promotion support, match director and match design support, all while promulgating the rules and regulations that ensure safety and consistency in SASS matches worldwide.

At the level of officially sanctioning a SASS match, costs are incurred in addition to the standard club support, to include additional website promotion and advertising maintenance, trophy buckles for the winners, a $200 prize package on the state level and a $500 prize package on the regional level. SASS also provides unlimited coverage for article submissions, photos, and results for all SASS sanctioned matches in the Cowboy Chronicle post match.

The incorporation of a $5 per shooter sanctioning fee helps to cover some of the administrative costs incurred by the sanctioning parent organization (SASS). Historically, there are 3 ways in which the parent organization imposes a sanctioning fee: 1. Per Event 2. Per Category 3. Per Entrant. The decision to incorporate a sanctioning fee on a "per shooter" basis was chosen with each club's best interest in mind and to accommodate all matches without a great cost hindrance to the individual host club, regardless of its size. This way, the event is charged duly based on the size of the match, rather than a base sanctioning fee that would truly make the smaller matches tremble financially.

SASS takes great consideration of stewardship of these fees and we realize the impact these fees can have on everyone involved. Unfortunately, the escalation of associated cost has made it prohibitive for SASS to continue shouldering the costs on its own.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Misty Moonshine

Misty,

I agree with the fee, don't get me wrong.

At the convention, the State match directors were told of the new fee and the start date in

2013. No problem, fair enough.

But, the Regional match directors were never told of the fee, nor were we told it would start in 2012. Finding out today, that it starts for regionals in 2012 is indeed a surprise and hardship. Applications are already out. With 400 shooters we will have a $2000 hit we did not budget for.

I believe this fee should be held off until 2013. Some clubs are on a very tight string with host ranges. This may be a deal breaker for some. Clubs have already prepared their 2012 budgets. This unannounced fee was not included. For many clubs, the cowboy events are part of their annual budget. This late assessment is just plain wrong when given short and late notice. If the state matches knew about it, why was it not mentioned to the regionals?

I am very dissapointed at the decision to start the fees in 2012. Now we are forced to lower something to make up the extra cost. Awards, props, scholarship fund, door prizes?

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

Incorrect. Sponsors gave items or cash to SASS, some of these items or items bought with the money were distributed by SASS to various shoots. As it is today. By the time of the first Regional the view held by many CAS clubs that money or guns should not be given to winners of matches prevailed. Donated firearms from sponsors were only given as door prizes or raffled to raise funds for charity or SASS Scholarship Fund.

But before that SASS gave away guns donated by EMF at EOT to winners. I think I remember Lucky Smucky shooting in a ladies class to win a pistol. He had to wear a dress the whole time. I'm sure someone will correct my faulty recollections as well.

Joe

Here's my only real problem with this fee: If you are an active shooter who likes to travel, you get dinged for every State and Regional Match you attend. In otherwords, the folks who really participate are unfairly "taxed" (sound familiar Obama fans?).

Why not just up the annual membership dues by $5.00? Why make the matches the tax-collectors, if you will?

Now, you may say "well it's a use tax so the folks that avail themselves of these matches should bear the burden and pay more" - I don't agree. The folks that take the time and trouble to travel are usually the folks who are the best ambassadors of our sport, so again I ask, why put the onus of them?

Hey, when the cost of an item goes up, one either buys it or not. I will continue to "buy" this sport, but why not just let everyone share in the cost and not just the folks who like to attend the bigger matches?

Just my $5.00 worth.

It's not a tax as the recipients are the same as the payers. A tax would be if everyone had to kick in $5 and only a small percentage shot the match.

As has been mentioned,SASS is a for profit business. One way of raising revenue without much backlash is to add a small fee to many cusomers, credit card companies would be a good example. The market will wash this out and I suspect the state matches will go on with very little reduction of shooters because of this fee. What we should be doing is questioning the idea of having a for-profit business as the governing body of our sport. I would recommend that clubs conduct their annual matches without the "State Match" designation and without the requirement for SASS membership. Our clubs are just that, ours. We should conduct our shoots accordingly.

We all say Cowboy Shooting is a game.... True enough... But someone has to go to Wal-Mart and Buy the game and when the board wears out someone has to go back and buy another game. The Prices may vary and the name of the game may change but still someone has to pay.

I ment to say match article [ sometimes 2 pages ] not advertisment. y'all have fun.. T-Bone

Anyone who frequents this forum on a regular basis knows that Misty Moonshine :wub: and I :ph34r: have a love/hate relationship going back to 2011 EOT. I was critical of the event from my perspective as a vendor, shooter and spectator. There were many who assumed that I had an axe to grind over it... or maybe she threw me out on the street and I was getting even. :lol: Yes, I received more than one PM about that deal.

So, it may not surprise you, but after reading this whole thread from end to end I'm forced to ask WHAT? You've GOT to be kidding me! This is an unmitigated outrage!

I mean it's an outrage that SASS has never charged sanction fees. NO SH**? REALLY? How is it possible for them to run this business? I'm not talking about the kind of charges that make you sick and then leave. I'm talking about simple, normal, customs and practice charges for any organization to stay afloat.

You charge for banquet or build it into your costs. You budget for water, portajohns, etc. It's simply a travesty that the SASS organization has never charged sanctioning fees. Heck, I run a cross country motorcycling Gran Tour for AMA. It pays NOTHING, there are no profits. But first we (carrytheflame.org) have to be a Chartered Promoter $250. Then we have to be a Sanctioned Ride $250. Then we have insurance $900. Then we have reporting requirements, etc. etc. etc.

I think that AJ said it: You want to have rules? You want to travel and find categories, scoring, judging, training, etc. etc. etc. all the things that we tend to take for granted because they're always there? Well, sports fans we need a strong organization. Make no mistake: strong in America means you need HOR$EPOWER... gas in the tank.

It doesn't matter whether you drive a old beat up Chevy or a shiny new Ford; if there's no gas in the tank then you're pushing it. And the gas that America (and SASS) runs on is $$... the great facilitator.

Get over it.... and get on with it. Here's to a strong organization with many years to come. :FlagAm:

I agree with Dan.

What I find amusing is the folks that say to the people operating the business (the state/regional matches), "It's only a 6% 'tax'. Just shut up and pass it on to the consumer."

Way to go.

The SASS business model doesn't work. And it doesn't take an "expert" to understand that, just common sense. It's time for them to admit it and ask for help. Based on the replys here I have no doubt they would get it.

We all say Cowboy Shooting is a game.... True enough... But someone has to go to Wal-Mart and Buy the game and when the board wears out someone has to go back and buy another game. The Prices may vary and the name of the game may change but still someone has to pay.

I ment to say match article [ sometimes 2 pages ] not advertisment. y'all have fun.. T-Bone

The clubs do....SASS surely isn't providing the new game board...umm targets. 500 shooters a year at EoT...maybe.

Before I pay a fee - I like to know why.

And then I can choose whether I wish to pay that fee or go do something different.

I would like to know what service SASS is going to provide to Eldorado 2013 that warrants/ is worth $1000?

What service will SASS provide to a 300 shooter State Championship worth $1500?

To a 400 shooter match worth $2000?

I don't know how many states actually have a sanctioned state championship and I don't know the attendance.

But if even 35 states have a 2013 State Championship match and these matches average only 125 shooters.

That's $22,000 annually - Thats a brand new F150 or Silverado. Hardly burger and fries.

Around thse parts - $1000 is a pretty good 40 hour paycheck - is SASS going to be dedicating 40 hours of time to the sole betterment of Eldorado 2013?

If not 40 - 30? 20? 10?

As Misty noted, I can be SASS affliated without cost - I can put on an Annual without contracts, ad requirements or mandatory freebies.

What $1000 benefit are we (or our shooters) receiving from SASS for it being a state championship?

I understand the easy answer is to pass along the fee and simply accept it...

But we're cowboys - we didn't get this far doing everything the easy way.

Before I pay a fee - I like to know why.

And then I can choose whether I wish to pay that fee or go do something different.

I would like to know what service SASS is going to provide to Eldorado 2013 that warrants/ is worth $1000?

What service will SASS provide to a 300 shooter State Championship worth $1500?

To a 400 shooter match worth $2000?

I don't know how many states actually have a sanctioned state championship and I don't know the attendance.

But if even 35 states have a 2013 State Championship match and these matches average only 125 shooters.

That's $22,000 annually - Thats a brand new F150 or Silverado. Hardly burger and fries.

Around thse parts - $1000 is a pretty good 40 hour paycheck - is SASS going to be dedicating 40 hours of time to the sole betterment of Eldorado 2013?

If not 40 - 30? 20? 10?

As Misty noted, I can be SASS affliated without cost - I can put on an Annual without contracts, ad requirements or mandatory freebies.

What $1000 benefit are we (or our shooters) receiving from SASS for it being a state championship?

Creeker,

It simply boils down to any club hosting a state or above match to either A) pay the $5 per shoooter SASS tax and say you put on the sanctioned Big match or.....B) not pay the $5 per person tax and put on an annual of the same quality.

The shooting quality of an annual vs a State/Regional match should be no difference other than the award for Top Shooters, of which there are two. Their prize is a $100 (or is that a 100# :lol: ) buckle of which the Match Organizers could pick up the cost and be money ahead.

I have already heard one club voted to increase their State and above match fee by $10 to cover ever rising operating cost plus the SASS tax(s). I suspect the $5 SASS tax prompted them to say what the heck, increase the match fee another $5 too, the shooters will pay, the shooters demand bigger and better and more awards and door prizes and facilities, and.. Nothing bad nor good about that. Local clubs are businesses too, they are not there to loose money. Just an observation and theory.

Blastmaster

Edit: Re read your rant... What does Eldorado get for paying $100's for all the new and old fees to SASS for a State Championship? Bragging rights, and blisters I gusss.

Roo

chuckaroo,

both my wife and i attended that state match meeting at the convention but neither one of us remember this topic. maybe it was a topic of conversation before or after the meeting to a select group but neither one of us recall it being discussed by hipshot as a change to the contracts to the entire group. this is the kind of discussion topic that would have piqued our interest.

our goal for the 2013 colorado state shoot, if we were lucky enough to get it, was 200 shooters. and i like SASS as much as the next guy...but...if we work hard and attain our goal then we have to pay SASS $1000 right off the top just for the honor to do the work. this is going to be a hard sell to our board of directors. if this tax is implimented to offset the rising cost of SASS to provide our clubs with support then maybe the tax should be applied to membership dues and not added to a "once a year" match fee.

cbj

CBJ,

Good point about raising the SASS Membership dues (currently $45 per year). As you are aware, there are local shooters at every club that are curtailing their shooting because of the cost. Those shooters that don't even go to away matches, let along going to a State Championship match.Adding up front cost such as yearly SASS dues to them will speed up their decision to drop out and that offsets what gain SASS would get by increasing the yearly memebership dues. It would make less ripples in the pond for SASS to hit the deep pockets of the shooters that go to the State/Regional matches.

Blastmaster

chuckaroo,

both my wife and i attended that state match meeting at the convention but neither one of us remember this topic. maybe it was a topic of conversation before or after the meeting to a select group but neither one of us recall it being discussed by hipshot as a change to the contracts to the entire group. this is the kind of discussion topic that would have piqued our interest.

our goal for the 2013 colorado state shoot, if we were lucky enough to get it, was 200 shooters. and i like SASS as much as the next guy...but...if we work hard and attain our goal then we have to pay SASS $1000 right off the top just for the honor to do the work. this is going to be a hard sell to our board of directors. if this tax is implimented to offset the rising cost of SASS to provide our clubs with support then maybe the tax should be applied to membership dues and not added to a "once a year" match fee.

cbj

CJ,

It was mentioned during the meeting but it was in the middle of a long line of things. Most people did not understand it and because it was 2013 it did not even raise an eyebrow.

However, it was not mentioned in any of the other meetings. And, I think it was way too important to skip accidentally. I'm not sure why it was not mentioned to the Regional Directors or the TG's as a group.

I am a strong supporter of SASS and I understand the fee and why it is needed. But, I am very upset that the regionals were not told. This, for our regional, is a $2,000 hit that we cannot plan for because the applications are already out. The regional is part of the host clubs budget, which is approved in December. The hit effects the host club as well as the shoot itself.

Many clubs have inner struggles and all cowboys are not necessarily their favorite subject. This will give them fodder against the cowboy groups using their ranges.

Very poor planning on SASS's part, and definitely not a good job of informing the people that are earning the money, for the sanctioning body.

To request $2,000 at the last minute is not reasonable. 2013 would have been a palatable start date.

Colorado Black Jack,

Kiowa & I will be there if you get it. You can add the $5 to our app for sure. We would not miss your shoot for $5! :)

Painted Filly

Chuckaroo,

To hit the regionals this year is harsh if there was no warning. I am sure you agreed on the regional last year just like the state it is the prior year. I dont understand how the rules can change on those now.

Hopefully you can get this worked out with SASS.

Painted Filly

Careful there, Cowboy, or you're liable to get just what you're whining over. The truth is a simple one that Stump Water so eloquently noted: SASS as a business model is a wreck. You just highlighted one of the reasons; it's not run as a model of a sanctioning body. Another reason also noted here by Mose Spencer: There are no professional/ Open categories for big corporate bucks.

Yeah, we all run around snapping suspenders over "ain't no big, pink cadillacs- nuttin' but braggin' rights" without hitting the high note: THERE AIN'T NO MONEY IN IT. SASS isn't a philanthropic charity. Lacking double digit growth in memberships the economic reality is that the current membership will have to begin to foot the bill if they want to continue enjoying the structure that the sanction provides.

If you want to see models that work over time go review NSCA and ATA sanctioning costs. They've proven the test of time and the laws of gravity will eventually take over at SASS as well.

Wow, I am amazed that this thread went to 100 comments. :o

Anyway, after reading the thread, we as a group seem to be split between the "cost conscious" and the "willing to spend".

I don't get the impression from the shoots I attend or this wire, that our "SASS family" is really comprised of mostly people pressed for cash. Either way, it seems to me, everyone still wants some benefit or value for their money spent on entertainment, and I think a $5 bump in price will not likely make many people think much about going or not going for the fun/competition.

I do think that if there are people who are really on the edge, financially, where $5 makes a difference... sincerely, god bless you and I hope you do much better in 2012.

Now, you may say "well it's a use tax so the folks that avail themselves of these matches should bear the burden and pay more" - I don't agree. The folks that take the time and trouble to travel are usually the folks who are the best ambassadors of our sport, so again I ask, why put the onus of them?

Hey, when the cost of an item goes up, one either buys it or not. I will continue to "buy" this sport, but why not just let everyone share in the cost and not just the folks who like to attend the bigger matches?

Just my $5.00 worth.

Myself, State matches and above, I'll pay the extra 5.00. But to ask those that don't shoot big matches, the shoe string shooters, the families on a budget, and there are a lot more then some may think, do we want to lose them by asking them to pay more? It isn't being able to attend big matches that makes a shooter automatically "the best ambassador". A lot of shooters scrimp and save, for a chance to make a big match, so asking them to pay throughout the year is fair?

Big matches take funds, besides "time and trouble". MT

And to raise the yearly dues to pay the way for State and above fees, wrong. Going to lose a lot of the shoe string shooters, just to benefit those that can afford. Remember the old marketing 99 rule. Charge 49.99 or 99.99 and more sales then charging 50.00 or 100.00. Raise the price a penny, and you'll drive away potential buyers. Raise monthlies or annuals just for "ambassadors" and youll probable drive away the shoe-string shooters that really make a club, and allow us to have monthlies. It isn't the big matches that make and keep SASS and CAS viable, its the little monthlies, they are the "ambassadors" of CAS and hold SASS together and bring shooters into our folds.

Archived