SASS Wire Forum

storing gun in emergency kit

Trigger Mike

I am building an emergency kit. I thought I'd build one for the home and one for the car. The car one would have 1 MRE, 1 bottle of water, toilet paper, a knife, e tool, and first aid kit and a pistol. The home version would have the same but enough for the family. I would have them in a army ruck sack.

1. willa pistol keep with out rusting?

2. SHould I store it in a gun sock or brown paper bag or the case with foam it came in?

The plan would be to have the gun unloaded with a box of ammo. It would be for tornado or something

if I put the home kit in an army duffel bag I could go with a folding stock rifle, would it need a gun sock?

You can store a Glock with some good results

I used to keep one of these in my aircraft at all times

http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

Steel barrel. Cool. I've seen early examples (not Henry's) that had aluminum barrels - not even sleeved; rifling cut into bare aluminum. I suppose for a "throw-away" survival ONLY piece those might have been adequate... or at least better than nothing. But the Henry would be vastly superior. -_-

Well, since I carry a pistol on my person (every where) I wouldn't put another in a "bag",

I keep an unloaded 12ga. pump/folding-stock & a dump-pouch with 25 rds buckshot/slugs in the truck bed.

The bed has a camper-shell and has a locking box bolted to the bed, which holds all emergency gear.

I take out the 12ga couple times a year to clean and oil it. 4 years now, no problems ;)

You know Henry has never let the truth get in the way of advertising. Just as they advertised the "Big Boy" as being SASS approved for a year before it was, now they claim the AR-7 was adopted by the USAF. NOT TRUE! There was the Armalite AR-5 which was a bolt action .22 Hornet, with a detachable barrel and stow in the stock capability, that was bought for evaluation and never issued. The all metal M-4, a bolt action .22 Hornet with a detachable barrel and sliding wire stock, and the all metal M-6 .22 Hornet/.410 were the standard USAF "survival rifles".

You know Henry has never let the truth get in the way of advertising. Just as they advertised the "Big Boy" as being SASS approved for a year before it was, now they claim the AR-7 was adopted by the USAF. NOT TRUE! There was the Armalite AR-5 which was a bolt action .22 Hornet, with a detachable barrel and stow in the stock capability, that was bought for evaluation and never issued. The all metal M-4, a bolt action .22 Hornet with a detachable barrel and sliding wire stock, and the all metal M-6 .22 Hornet/.410 were the standard USAF "survival rifles".

Could you point out the part where they said it was adopted by the U.S. Air Force, please. I can't seem to find that part, only the line where they say

"Since 1959, the venerable AR-7 has been the choice of U.S. Air Force pilots who need a small-caliber rifle they can count on for survival should they have to punch out over a remote area."

I can't prove or disprove that part about the likes or dislikes of USAF pilots, irrespective of what they were issued, having no statistical or even anecdotal data, but before I assume that it's a lie, and it might well be - I just wondered what statement you were refering to.

I like those little guns, ever since From Russia with Love came out, and they might even be a POS, and I'll be sorry I bought one, if I ever do, but why are you saying they're liers as well?

I'm curious, before I spend a couple of hundred dollars on a gun companies product, I'd like to know if they're really liers, or just writing crafty advertisement?

Shadow Catcher

I'm curious, before I spend a couple of hundred dollars on a gun companies product, I'd like to know if they're really liers, or just writing crafty advertisement?

Shadow Catcher

Henry has, for some years now, claimed, in their ads, that they are the original Henry rifle. You know, the 1860 Henry that was made by Oliver Winchester at the New Haven Arms Company.

And, as was said, when the brought out their Big Boy, they claimed it was SASS legal, although for the first couple of years it was not.

So, regardless of how good or bad their guns are, yes, I would say they are liars.

Could you point out the part where they said it was adopted by the U.S. Air Force, please. I can't seem to find that part, only the line where they say

"Since 1959, the venerable AR-7 has been the choice of U.S. Air Force pilots who need a small-caliber rifle they can count on for survival should they have to punch out over a remote area."

I can't prove or disprove that part about the likes or dislikes of USAF pilots, irrespective of what they were issued, having no statistical or even anecdotal data, but before I assume that it's a lie, and it might well be - I just wondered what statement you were refering to.

I like those little guns, ever since From Russia with Love came out, and they might even be a POS, and I'll be sorry I bought one, if I ever do, but why are you saying they're liers as well?

Shadow Catcher

That was exactly the quote, it would appear to me, that a reasonable person would interpret that to be the USAF issued the AR-7 to the pilots as it did all their other gear. With the exception of transport aircraft, there just isn't any space to store personally owned firearms.

Henry has, for some years now, claimed, in their ads, that they are the original Henry rifle. You know, the 1860 Henry that was made by Oliver Winchester at the New Haven Arms Company.

And, as was said, when the brought out their Big Boy, they claimed it was SASS legal, although for the first couple of years it was not.

So, regardless of how good or bad their guns are, yes, I would say they are liars.

I have not seen Henry claim what you state. They do state "Today, the Henry Repeating Arms Company, a descendant of the venerable gunmaker".

This is just like most any company that owns the rights to the name of the original, well known and "branded" historic company. Reference today's successful remake of the "Triumph" motorcycles (entirely different company producing bikes in Hinckley rather than Meriden, the original site) or the many resurrections of the "Indian" motorcycles. .

All took the basic theme and modernized them for modern materials, and economic production while attempting to capture the appeal and heritage of the original "BRAND". IMHO Henry Repeating Arms has tried to do just this - I see NO claims that it is a copy of the original, only that it is a corporate descendant honoring the original concept and heritage brought forward to today.

Harley Davidson has done this with great success for years (now on thin ice), and through several changes in ownership. While Triumph has been successful in updating the aura of the brand, Harley had less success with the more advanced V-Rod, perhaps more analogous to the Big Boy experience.

BTW, I do not care for the Big Boy, but I do really like my Golden Boy and shoot it often!

Harvey

I have not seen Henry claim what you state. They do state "Today, the Henry Repeating Arms Company, a descendant of the venerable gunmaker".

This is just like most any company that owns the rights to the name of the original, well known and "branded" historic company. Reference today's successful remake of the "Triumph" motorcycles (entirely different company producing bikes in Hinckley rather than Meriden, the original site) or the many resurrections of the "Indian" motorcycles. .

All took the basic theme and modernized them for modern materials, and economic production while attempting to capture the appeal and heritage of the original "BRAND". IMHO Henry Repeating Arms has tried to do just this - I see NO claims that it is a copy of the original, only that it is a corporate descendant honoring the original concept and heritage brought forward to today.

Harley Davidson has done this with great success for years (now on thin ice), and through several changes in ownership. While Triumph has been successful in updating the aura of the brand, Harley had less success with the more advanced V-Rod, perhaps more analogous to the Big Boy experience.

BTW, I do not care for the Big Boy, but I do really like my Golden Boy and shoot it often!

Harvey

Hmmm...and just how is HRA a "descendant" of New Haven Arms Co., which, I believe, changed its name to Winchester with the introduction of the 1866? The "Henry" in 1860 Henry refers to the designer, not the maker, and as far as I've seen, was not passed on to anyone, by sale, assignment, or otherwise. Add to that the fact that there is nothing similar in the design or appearance of the two products, and you have an empty, untruthful claim baldly asserted for commercial gain. That's a far cry from acquiring the rights to a product line or a product name, in a lawful transaction, which would carry SOME implication that there is at least a trace of product heritage involved.

Read the HRA "History" section on their website. While they don't come out and directly claim "we are the same company", they phrase their "history" in a manner distinctly composed to lead the uninformed reader to that conclusion. Clever, but not truthful, and apparently intended to deceive or mislead. I view the Handirifle Air Force reference in much the same way. I'd be very surprised if they could produce ANY documentation to verify the claim that it was the "favorite" of any significant number of AF pilots. Remember the 1950's ads claiming that a certain brand of cigarettes was the "favorite" of more doctors?

We've beaten these issues to death before. I actually don't care what HRA claims in its ads; the test is in the quality of the product, not in the puffery that accompanies it. But I do judge a man by his ability to tell the truth - the whole truth. You don't acquire a good reputation by borrowing the deeds and accomplishments of another.

LL

I am building an emergency kit. I thought I'd build one for the home and one for the car. The car one would have 1 MRE, 1 bottle of water, toilet paper, a knife, e tool, and first aid kit and a pistol. The home version would have the same but enough for the family. I would have them in a army ruck sack.

1. willa pistol keep with out rusting?

2. SHould I store it in a gun sock or brown paper bag or the case with foam it came in?

The plan would be to have the gun unloaded with a box of ammo. It would be for tornado or something

if I put the home kit in an army duffel bag I could go with a folding stock rifle, would it need a gun sock?

Trigger Mike,

Unfortunately your post has gone off topic. Maybe we can get it back on track.

My first question is what are you surviving against? The weather, natural disaster, civil disturbance, wild animals? You mention tornados but the damage from them is usually very localized. A well stock storm cellar/basement would be a much better alternative to hiking out. If you live in a urban area that gets hard hit like Goodland, KS and Joplin, MO it is going to take several days for civil authorities to get organized and get supplies in. It is going to be very difficult to get out with streets blocked and where are you going to walk to?

While waiting for help to arrive you need to organize a defense plan with your neighbors against looters. Frankly most any type of gun would be fine for this. If everything is destroyed you don't have to worry about hitting the neighbors house.

My second question is are you staying with your vehicle until help arrives or are you going to walk to safety? If walking how far? If you are bugging out do you have heavy foorwear that will resist stepping on nails and rough terrain?

Third storing ammunition and firearms in trunk are hard on them. Temperature extremes and humidity are killers.

So as you can see, to me at least, a firearm should be selected for the task at hand.

Harvey

That's interesting. I really like my Big Boy and shoot it all the time. I sold my Golden Boy because I didn't like the excessive drop in the stock. The cheek weld was more like a chin weld. I replaced it with a Fronteer model (also a Henry) for practice because it has the same feel of the Big Boy.

Well Seldom,

At least ya' tried :)

OK, OK...I was one of those with my hand on the tiller when we pushed her off course....

Course correction:

Cheaper Than Dirt has a long-term underground storage tube for guns and supplies - internal and external seals; add some dessicant packs and you should be good to go.

LL

found the storage bags at brownells, thanks. they have the plastic ones and the cloth with silicone, seems like the cloth would be best. am I wrong?

Depends on way you plan to store them for travel and safe I use the cloth but if you want long term the plastic might be good choice.

I mainly thought it'd be wise to have one day's supply of food, water, etc to get me home in case snow storm, stuck me at work, or eranian nuke clogged the roads or such. I doubt I could hurt the tornado ifn I shot at it, just want a plan to get me home where 3 more days worth awaits. I firgure a small ruck sack with 1 MRE, 1 bottle of water, 1 pistol and a box of ammo kept in the box, as well as a larger ruck or duffell bag at home in case of the same snow storm, hurricane like we had hit a few years back, flood etc, and the stores are closed like they were during last year's snow storm. Mainly going to keep something in it I rarely use anyway but have no where better to keep but don't want to get rid of like my S & W 6906.

I mainly thought it'd be wise to have one day's supply of food, water, etc to get me home in case snow storm, stuck me at work, or eranian nuke clogged the roads or such. I doubt I could hurt the tornado ifn I shot at it, just want a plan to get me home where 3 more days worth awaits. I firgure a small ruck sack with 1 MRE, 1 bottle of water, 1 pistol and a box of ammo kept in the box, as well as a larger ruck or duffell bag at home in case of the same snow storm, hurricane like we had hit a few years back, flood etc, and the stores are closed like they were during last year's snow storm. Mainly going to keep something in it I rarely use anyway but have no where better to keep but don't want to get rid of like my S & W 6906.

Well - one only need search for emergency survival or preparedness to find about 11-teen bazillion web sites addressing this issue.

My pack in my car is designed to get me home after a quake or other disaster that prevents me from just driving there.

I live 40 miles from work, and have to cross half a dozen bridges, two or three over water.

If I have to get home, and I have to - because that's where the love of my life waits for me, then I might have to walk, part of the way or even a lot of the way.

My Ruck has a few days worth of MRE's, fresh ones - bought this last year. I have emergency blankets (the mylar ones), fire starters, ropes, etc. etc. etc. I have a

small first aid kit, and on and on . . There are many sites that can guide you in assembling a one day to three day walk around pack, tailored to your environment and

weather patterns.

With respect to a firearm, I usually have a 9mm with a few mags on or with me, but I am leaning towards leaving a SS Walther PPk and three mags worth of ammo in a silicon

sock in the back pack. There are times when I do not have my regular carry weapon with me, I'd like to have the pistol locked in the inner lock box where I have the first

aid kit.

If I get around to buying the new Browning 1911-22 I will perhaps turn that into the walk-home-pistol.

My rationale is that when I am walking home in a disaster I am in rabbit mode, not lion mode. I want to be unobtrusive, and move faster. I am not hunting, I am defending.

Once I get home and secure my lady and my home, I can elect to change role, but my mission after leaving the vehicle and walking home is to get home, not to play Kull the Conqueror.

My concern on the hike home is more of things like feral animals, and perhaps a few folks who are opportunistic . . I can do what needs doing with a small pistol, in any caliber.

I do like that Henry survival rifle - I've liked it since 1964, I might have to get one just because it's cool . . but it doesn't fit into my emergency kit plans . ..

YMMV

Shadow Catcher

For a trunk handgun I suggest you take a hard look at a CZ-82. These are former Commie handguns that are very high quality and best of all are C&R eligible. They have a high capacity magazine that holds the 9X18 cartridge. Someone, sorry I can't think of the name, offers a flap holster that holds the gun and a extra magazine. The nice thing for our purpose is the flap completely covers the gun and extra mag thus giving you the gun and extra mag in one package while protecting it from the weather.

As a lot of the pards have pointed out, it depends on your situation and how you see yourself in that situation. Like Shadow Catcher said, his pack is designed to get him back to home base. Other packs are designed to "head for the hills," so speak. In the pack I have in my truck, it's designed so it can handle a variety of situations with a few minor adjustments. Normally, it's set up to take care of me in case I either have to 1) stay with the truck due to snowslides, bridge washouts, etc. temporarily blocking my way home or 2) having to walk home due to some type of emergency. As a result, I usually have a few boxes of .22 LR ammo tucked in my pack along with a Ruger Mk II.

If, on the other hand, I had to "head for the hills," I'd throw the Ruger 1022 or M7722 in the truck. Still, if it looked like one of those "zombie attack" situations, the pack would be modified with more appropriate weaponry.

If you are going to take gun out to shoot or clean every 3-4time months the sock is good but if you expect to store like a year or more plastic bag would be better. As in your choice of gun the 6906sock is good choice especially if you already own it. Clean and lube it good before you store it and another option would be if you have a foodsaver vacuum pack it and ammo no sense spending money on something you already have

Make that a Gazillion-an-One on-line survival videos -

:lol:

Good video. I wonder if they make a solar charger that is strong enough to power an electric cooler that plugs into a cigerette lighter. It drains the car battery too much to keep it plugged into it. Having one might save some food.

Good video. I wonder if they make a solar charger that is strong enough to power an electric cooler that plugs into a cigerette lighter. It drains the car battery too much to keep it plugged into it. Having one might save some food.

They do,

But it's the size of yer garage ;)

I have been looking for a stainless Ruger MK II for my vehicle bag, like Pack Saddle Slim. As a previous poster mentioned, you do not have to have a heavy, big-bore handgun to keep bad guys away on your trek to home/safety. Shoot anything at them and they will look for other prey. The ammo is cheap and lightweight. Knowing that in a very serious emergency we might not be able to stay in our home, I have acquired a stainless Ruger Mini 14 factory folder that fits well in my backpack-style duffle bag. With pack on my back, even if I somehow lose the longarm I carry away from the house - probably a shotgun - I still have the Mini 14. Food, water, ammo and such in these GOD [Get Outta Dodge] Bags should be changed on a regular basis.

Archived