SASS Wire Forum

Does anyone make a shoulder holster for Colt Dragoon revolver?

Sixgun Symphony #62632

This is a large revolver, too large for a belt gun. It was intended as a "horse pistol", meaning it was carried in pommel holsters.

I would like to use my Dragoon revolver for a woods gun, who makes a suitable shoulder holster?

Years ago I had an Interarms Virginian Dragoon in .45 Colt. It, too, was a horse pistol. It was built on a .44 magnum frame with a 7½-inch barrel. It was a beast! I carried it in an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster. Never could get it to fit comfortably. Finally gave it to one of my sons who is 6'5" and weighs 235 pounds. He carries it in a custom belt rig and it fits him fine. Of course, he has the build for it. More power to him. I'm a wimp.

Black Hills Leather makes some real nice shoulder rigs. Rudy has a variety of styles and will custom-make a holster to your specs. His holsters, by the way, aren't just "off-the-shelf" types. He makes your shoulder rig according to your height, weight, etc., so it fits perfectly.

You can also buy holsters on shoulder slings that hang at about belt level. Wish I could remember the name for them.

I have made simple Slim Jims for the big Walkers but does anyone know of the Dragoons would be robust enuff to fill out such a holster? This has been one of the reasons that I have wanted to pair my Walker with a Uberti 3rd model Dragoon but opportunity and finances never seem to arrive at the same place at the same time! I would almost think the big gun would have to have a spring clip but I'm sure a really good holster design will even include neck and shoulder pains to go with the really nice headaches at night! A really good two pound Bowie knife, mounted on the other side of the shoulder rig, might help prevent one from falling over to the side when attempting to stand still. :blush:

Australian Stock Saddle Co. leather has a couple models for a reasonable price that will fit a Dragoon but due to the angle at which they hang they are not SASS legal. Should be OK for use as a woods gun.

Seamus

Australian Stock Saddle Co. leather has a couple models for a reasonable price that will fit a Dragoon but due to the angle at which they hang they are not SASS legal. Should be OK for use as a woods gun.

Seamus

at what angle are they ??

I've made belt holsters for Walkers and Dragoons...one was for a chap who couldn't have weighed over 120 lbs soaking wet! Not sure how he kept his pants up if he sneezed! :rolleyes: Frankly, I have never been a fan of shoulder rigs for guns weighing over 38 oz., about the weight of a M1911 or a Colt's SAA. The problem is that that much weight hanging from one shoulder or the other places an asymmetric strain on the upper body. Tests have shown that the rigging needed to stabilize such heavy guns can cause chaffing, and elevates blood pressure due to the unconscious efforts to maintain an upright stance.

My solution is to use a crossdraw holster on a 2-inch wide belt. Such a belt distributes the weight on pelvic structures and the thigh bones, which are the strongest structures in the human body. If necessary, you can use suspenders attached to the belt, but this partially defeats the purpose of using a belt.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

Archived