SASS Wire Forum

Having problems with percussion revolvers

Sixgun Symphony #62632

I have two reproduction Colt revolvers, an 1860 Army and a Dragoon. The problem is that I can't ge the #10 caps to seat all the way on the nipples. I had many failure to fires as the hammer would just drive the caps further on to the nipple.

I tried #11 caps, but they are far too loose!

I checked Dixie Gun Works but I can't find nipples for #10 caps to replace the unsat nipples on the percussion revolvers now. Where can I find quality nipples that will fit on these guns and take the proper caps?

Go to trackofthewolf.com they are awesome to del with nd they can get you bout any kind of nipples. I changed out all mine for #11s, my personal pref...They got bout anything you need and are super to deal with.

Best of luck and stay with em, they are he best when you get em shooting right

OO

Here are two sources for a very good replacement "Ampco bronze" nipple from Treso. I use these on my BP revolvers.

The Possible Shop - "Tresco"

http://www.possibleshop.com/s-s-nipples.html

Track of the Wolf - "Ampco"

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=171&styleID=785

The Remington brand #10 cap fits properly.

The CCI #11 fits, but is a bit loose. If you bend them slightly out of round, they will stay on.

I have two reproduction Colt revolvers, an 1860 Army and a Dragoon. The problem is that I can't ge the #10 caps to seat all the way on the nipples. I had many failure to fires as the hammer would just drive the caps further on to the nipple.

I tried #11 caps, but they are far too loose!

I checked Dixie Gun Works but I can't find nipples for #10 caps to replace the unsat nipples on the percussion revolvers now. Where can I find quality nipples that will fit on these guns and take the proper caps?

A bunch of people will soon get in on this and tell you to get Tresso nipples appropriate to your revolver and use #10 Remington caps. This is THE solution. Tressos are available from The Possible Shop and several others. They are not cheap, but with the Remington caps, they just plain work.

EDIT: Slow typist always comes in second,,,Burt Blade was quicker and included links!!!

Count Sandor

Thanks for the information guys!

BTW, how do I tell if my Italian reproduction Colts are made by Uberti or Pietta? The online catalog lists different thread counts for each manufacturer and I have to know which one to order.

Hey Sixgun:

The snubbie is a Pietta.

You want Treso #11-50-106

link to nips

These treso nips & remington #10 caps = reliable ignition.

After you put them on the nipples, press them down with a dowel, piece of antler, etc.

They will fire on the first hit.

--Dawg

If you read the Treso web site, they are made to function with Remington #11 caps. I use Remmy 11's on my Pietta 51 with Treso's and they fit very well, are not loose and do not fall off until fired and the cylinder is rotated for the next shot. They get tighter as the cones are fouled some. Remmy #10 will work but after three stages get hard to seat even with my deer horn pusher.

I have some CCI #10 and are just to tight and small for any stock nipple I have ever tried them on. CCI #11 are very close to Remington # 10's.

There are many little details one must do before one shoots stock C&B's in a Match.

it is like driving a Model T Ford at the Indy-500. ;)

If you read the Treso web site, they are made to function with Remington #11 caps. I use Remmy 11's on my Pietta 51 with Treso's and they fit very well, are not loose and do not fall off until fired and the cylinder is rotated for the next shot. They get tighter as the cones are fouled some. Remmy #10 will work but after three stages get hard to seat even with my deer horn pusher.

I have some CCI #10 and are just to tight and small for any stock nipple I have ever tried them on. CCI #11 are very close to Remington # 10's.

There are many little details one must do before one shoots stock C&B's in a Match.

it is like driving a Model T Ford at the Indy-500. ;)

Now that's funny, but true!:lol:

One other problem I have run into with Remington #10 caps is the priming charge may be loose in the cup or not located at the bottom of the cup. I found this out when finding some loose priming discs in the cap tin and later misfiring with other caps from that batch in my Remington 1858 NMA's - with Tresos. They were pushed on tight but that was apparently not enough. If that priming disc is not stuck to the bottom of the cap, pushing it on may not get the priming-cap combination tight against the nipple. A second hammer blow set them off.

Gonna get out the magnifier and look at some caps this week.

Remington made some less than ideal caps a couple of years back. Watch them as you put them on the nipples. If you don't see the green material in the bottom of the cap, discard the cap.

Archived