SASS Wire Forum

What gun would you have custom made if money was no object?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For just a custom gun? Maybe a Jennings in some modern caliber so reloading for it wouldn't be such an effort.

Inexpensive, but hard to find, I'd sort of like to have a Herter's .401 Powermag.

Already made, but highly valuable? A few months ago there was an article in American Rifleman where they interviewed Robert Ruark's favorite guide, Harry Selby, and had pictures of a gun owned by Ruark, given to Selby's son, that was previously owned by WDM Bell -- a ".275 Rigby" (7mm Mauser) with that provenance. It's in a private collection, but to my mind it is literally priceless.

I would have Freedom Arms build me two six-shot 45 Colts with fixed sights like the SAA so it would be SASS legal that have the same accuracy as their current offerings (one inch @ 100 yards) and that ACTUALLY SHOOT TO POINT OF AIM :rolleyes: (what a concept!). It would be expensive because Freedom Arms currently offers only 5-shot revolvers :( .

Actually, if I had UNLIMITED funds, I would start my own gun company and produce single action sixguns in 45Colt that were GUARANTEED to SHOOT TO POINT OF AIM and GUARANTEED to SHOOT A 2" GROUP @ 25 yards (with specific commercially available ammo). Then Colt and Uberti and Pietta and Ruger and all the rest could either follow suit or go out of business. To my mind it is absolutely reprehensible that they DON'T produce guns of that level of accuracy and consistency. Or maybe it's all of US who are reprehensible for accepting the inferior quality that they DO produce. Regardless, it is my humble opinion that any gun that will not shoot to point of aim with a decent group is about as useful as goose crap on a pump handle :angry: (and no, I DON'T care whether or not it says "Ruger" or "Colt" on it!).

And my first offering would NOT be "The Loosehammer New Model", so the pedantics out there couldn't wast days and weeks squabbling over the name. It would be "The Loosehammer Mark 1". But then I suppose they'd be all confused because it actually had a tight hammer.

first off, I'd like a set of perfectly tuned and matching .38 special (not .357) Ruger Vaqueros, with all the liability wording removed, as well as any other stampings on the frame. then blued like the early Colt Pythons were, and the frames casehardened by Doug Turnbull. aged ivory grips , of course.

next, a deluxe '73 , custom made by Ruger (durability + USA manufactured), super tuned by Jimmy Spurs, and finished by Turnbull as well.

also a '66, also by Ruger, Spurs and Turnbull.

lets not forget a new Browning BSS coach gun, with Turnbull treatment.

while we are at it, a model '97 , race ready and Turnbull finished.

might as well have a trio of gatlings made,...45.70, 30 carbine, and .22LR

Festus

Well, Festus, you can remove all of that fine Ruger "literature" from your barrel by simply draw-filing it off - and then spending a month or so wearing out your thumbs with fine metal polish to polish it all out nice and purdy. I did that to my Original 44 mag stainless Vaquero. It took about a solid month's worth of evenings in front of the TV with the metal polish rubbing and rubbing and rubbing and rubbing and rubbing and rubbing, but it was a labor of love :wub: combined with "well, I wish I had never had this bright idea, but I'm committed now" <_< , but it turned out really really nice.

Well, Festus, you can remove all of that fine Ruger "literature" from your barrel by simply draw-filing it off - and then spending a month or so wearing out your thumbs with fine metal polish to polish it all out nice and purdy. I did that to my Original 44 mag stainless Vaquero. It took about a solid month's worth of evenings in front of the TV with the metal polish rubbing and rubbing and rubbing and rubbing and rubbing and rubbing, but it was a labor of love combined with "well, I wish I had never had this bright idea, but I'm committed now" , but it turned out really really nice.

At least Ruger has chosen to put their "Stamped Owners Manual" underneath the barrel instead of prominently on the side for everyone to read. Smithy.

My wants are fairly simple.

A current model Ruger Vaquero case colored frame blued finish. 3-3/4 sheriff length barrel, plow handle, rounded butt grip.

Half cock Super black hawk hammer and in 38-40 caliber. :)

Have custom made?

The only rifle I have ever coveted but never have owned:A custom Holand &Holland Double rifle,SxS, 750 Nitro Express with 5 leaf rear sight In. 22" length,fitted case with accessories May never shoot it, but the quality,craftsmanship and beauty. Would be a work of art .It would also bring down anything on earth including a T Rex!I must have read too many Robert Ruark books when I was younger!

My real H&H dream gun is a black powder cartridge era hammered 700 nitro express from the mid 1890'sWith fitted case and accessories.They were the real beauties!

I still want a pair of genuine, brand new, 1875 Remington revolvers in .45 cal Colt. :FlagAm:

I'm still POed that the USFAs never materialized. :angry::angry:

Maybe a brand new Marlin '98 shotgun, S.A.S.S. legal and race ready. :unsure::rolleyes:still think that S.A.S.S. was way wrong to ban them! :angry:

Archived