SASS Wire Forum

Firearms shipping changes?

Had a friend in Washington state tell me that "they" will no longer ship firearms. Still trying to pin down who "they" are, but assume it is USPS and/or UPS - FedEx. Last I heard, you could use USPS for shipping long guns, and handguns were accepted by UPS - FedEx, at next-day shipping rates. Restrictions on who firearms can be shipped to are understood, so no need to go into that.

Has something changed that I missed, or is this something new at the local/state level in Washington?

Any knowledgeable enlightenment will be appreciated.

Regards, TJH

Jim I belong to 4-5 gun organizations, including NRA & TSRA, and twice as many forums. I'm positive that one or all of them would have sent me an email if there were (are) any changes in shipping regs, laws or policies. A FFL licenesee may ship hand & long guns via USPS, FedEx & UPS. A non-licensee may ship long guns but not hand guns through USPS. He may ship any gun through FedEx or UPS. However there are many employees that are ignorant of their company regs, policies or the law and have a habit of putting their mouth in motion before putting their brain in gear.

Thanks, Colonel. Your observations mirror mine. Just looking for that confirmation that some new requirements/restrictions didn't go into effect 1/1/2012. I think my friends in Washington have been given some incorrect information.

Regards, TJH

As an FFL holder I really try to keep up on the shipping regs. The only change I can recall in recent times is the change by UPS and FedEx to allow handguns to ship by 2nd Day Air instead of Next Day Air..... lowers the rate a bit. Col. Riddles is correct, I'm just adding the 2nd Day Air thing. Sweetwater Jack

Maybe it was UPS....

They recently got hit big time for violations relating to secure transport of guns....

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

I live in WA State, and the only new regulation that I am aware of is what Nate refers to.

Any firearm, new or used that comes to an FFL in WA for a customer will be charged a "Use tax" based upon the fair market value of such firearm.

So, some FFL's here are refusing to accept anything the store didn't order themselves.

Archived