SASS Wire Forum

Primers?

Rance - SASS # 54090

OK, I'll stick my oar in the pot.

I've used them all, and never any real issues I could blame the primer for. I haven't used many Remingtons in the last 30 years just because they weren't as readily available, but I've used many thousands of CCI, Winchester and Federals. Have I had a few misfires? Sure, when you shoot as many as I have, you're bound to have a few - but Very few and nothing consistent in the least.

For pistol Silhouette and Hunter Benchrest I've used nothing but Federal Match, just because I think they are (can't prove) the best match primer made, but total overkill for CAS. I used nothing but CCI for pistols and rifles for years, then I switched to Winchester when I got my Dillon 650 - never any problems and they seat easier than the CCI's I was using. I've used Federals if I didn't have Winchesters, fine primers.

Loaded shotgun ammo for the last 50 years (started with my dad when I was 12)and we've always used predominantly Winchester 209's for everything, still do. Wouldn't hesitate to use CCI or Federal if needed though.

I firmly believe the biggest problem usually (there will be exceptions) is something mechanical, dirty, not seated right and/or fouled. If your hammer springs are so light that the primer brand makes a difference, then I'd suggest you're too borderline on your setup. And I say that knowing that I personally use cut down 17# Wolff springs in all my CAS Ruger revolvers and they always go Bang. The guns are also very well maintained, which can make a difference when you're pushing the envelope.

Don't forget a lot of folks are shootin very minimal loads in big cases with light hammer springs, right on the edge, it doesn't take much to throw things out of wack.

My two bits,

Regards

I would almost bet my pension that since both Federal and CCI are owned by the same parent company, ATK, that they are now made on the same product line and just packaged seperately.
Sergeant, I'll send you my bank routing & checking account numbers so you can directly deposit your pension over to me :D

Federal - http://www.federalpremium.com/general/our_company.aspx

CCI -

2299 Snake River Avenue

Lewiston, ID 83501

ATK - ATK Corporate Headquarters

1300 Wilson Boulevard Suite 400

Arlington, VA 22209

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

John Boy:

Thank you for running your test and posting the results. B)B)

Mustang

Sergeant, I'll send you my bank routing & checking account numbers so you can directly deposit your pension over to me :D

Federal - http://www.federalpremium.com/general/our_company.aspx

CCI -

2299 Snake River Avenue

Lewiston, ID 83501

ATK - ATK Corporate Headquarters

1300 Wilson Boulevard Suite 400

Arlington, VA 22209

Corporate headquarters don't have anything to do with the owners and who calls the shots. Look at Winchester. Their corporate HQ is in Alton Il. but everything but shotshells is made in Mississippi....

And your post actually proved my statement as Federal being owned by ATK. http://www.atk.com/CorporateOverview/corpover_securitysporting.asp

None worked every single time but Federals. My conclusion is that metal harness is not the total story. Must have something to do with what is inside the primers also

Kid, here are a couple of MSDS for you to look over for any differences 'inside the primers'

Federal ... http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/msds/SmallArmsPrimers.pdf

CCI ... http://glarp.atk.com/2008/msds/Primers.pdf

I'll let you find the MSDS sheets for the other manufacturers. Please let us know the major component differences among them all. Thanks Pardner

PS: For CAS, I shoot in all my handguns & rifles CCI 300 Large Pistol Primers only

Including a pair of Pietta NMA with R&D conversion cylinders and non factory mainsprings that Alessandro Pietta sent me.

Some details that I sent back to Alessandro

Replaced the stock main spring, with no other modifications.

Results:

Stock Hammer Pull ... 9.50 pounds

New Hammer Pull ..... 5.14 pounds ... 46% Reduction

Stock Trigger Pull ..... 5.16 pounds

New Trigger Pull ....... 4.28 pounds ... 17% Reduction

Trigger Pull, New Spring and Grinding the Hammer Arc .... 3.04 pounds ... 41% Overall Reduction

And .... have never had a CCI 300 failure to ignite primer! :D

But like they say - There are Chevys, Chryslers and Fords. So to each their own for specific primers

And your post actually proved my statement as Federal being owned by ATK. http://www.atk.com/C...itysporting.asp

Sergeant, apparently you didn't know ATK owned both primer companies. Heck, I thought nearly all shooters knew that. Your point though was Federal & CCI primers were "that they are now made on the same product line and just packaged separately".... Wrong!

First choice is Federal! :) But believe it or not, during the height of the "primer scarcity ", I used Wolf primers for sometime(split a case with a pard) and no failures. :lol:

DB :FlagAm:

I have Remington, CCI, Winchester and Federal in my stock. Not had a problem with any failing to fire. I generally buy CCI or Winchester because they are $1.00 to $2.00 per thousand less expensive.

I will not buy Wolf, Magtech or Fiochoi?, they may be fine--- but they are an unknown performer to me.

Sergeant, apparently you didn't know ATK owned both primer companies. Heck, I thought nearly all shooters knew that. Your point though was Federal & CCI primers were "that they are now made on the same product line and just packaged separately".... Wrong!

Friend, read my original post. My conclusion is that simply, all corporations are downsizing to eliminate redundant positions. It's poor business sense to operate two separate facilities making an interchangeable product. ATK is a monster sized corporation and is not ruled by shooters or people holding true to legends and rumors. They are all about the bottom line. It's easier to combine operation and alter the specs to a middle ground.

Sergeant Smokepole, You are closer to right than John Boy.

The succession of the buy-outs was NOT originally ATK. They came along later.

The original buy-out was initiated by Federal, who bought out the Sporting portion of the Blount Corp, to include CCI, Speer, RCBS, Outers, and Weaver. at approx. the same time they also bought out the Estate Ctg co. of Willis, Texas.

During this time, the primer Mfg. operations were consolidated. Both the CCI plant as well as the Federal plant had primer MFG. facilities. The outcone was that all the Rifle and Pistol primers were consolidated at one location, and the Shotgun primers were placed at the other. I have forgotten which was which now, but I think, best I can remember the Rifle/Pistol mfg. went to Lewiston Idaho and the Shotgun primer Mfg. went to Minn.

Then, along came Alliant Technologies, who bought out Federal and all their holdings. Total buy-out.

Those manufacturing facilities exist to this day, and still operate as Federal and CCI, but both are totally owned

facilities of ATK. So looking up CCI will still show the Idaho address, and looking up Federal will show the Minnesota address, and looking up ATK will show the Virginia address.

These addresses have absolutely no bearing as to exactly where these products are actually produced in some cases, primers being one of these.

Confusing?? Not really, but not all aspects of the Manufacturing involved in these multi faceted companys, owned by another parent company, are necessarily apparant to the general public.

RBK

I have ALWAYS bought Winchester Large and Small primers for my rifles and pistols and the 209 primers for the shotgun. I've been shooting CAS for about 10 years and I do not ever recall having a missfire do to a bad primer. I've had missfires do to a broken fireing pin in my Marlin. One thing I don't do is lighten any hammer springs, so the fireing pin hits the primer with its designed force.

So I quess you'd say that Winchester primers are my choice.

Archived