SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun chamber lube

Dungannon Gunner

What is your favorite chamber lube used to help empty your gun of spent shotgun shells

Ketchum Quick bore swab and silicone spray ! :huh:

Gravity

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Depends. If chromed, a smidge of silicone on a paper towel wrapped around a bore mop. If not, just clean em good. Beyond that, use AAs or STS hulls and learn to open the gun and as the extractors jerk the shells, snatch the gun rearward, a short jab of about 8", then STOP suddenly, with the barrels as close to HORIZONTAL as possible. Works for me.

Howdy

Nothing. I never put any lube in the chambers of my shotguns. I usually load Remington STS hulls, which are the slipperiest hulls on the market because of the plastic they are made from. They always pop out with a good jerk backwards. If they don't I wipe off the chamber a bit with a damp bore mop, but I never lubricate the chambers.

Actually, if you read most gun manuals, they almost all advise against any oil or anything slippery in the chambers. Most recommend completely drying out the chambers before firing the gun. The theory is, oil or any other lubrication in the chamber can increase the rearward thrust of the shell against the breach.

Agree with DJ, never lube the chambers. Just stick with target cases (i.e. no ribs/striations) and they'll fall out just fine. Even with BP just use a chamber brush every couple of stages.

ballistol

Yep, A little Ballistol sprayed on a 12GA cotton Swab :)But very light, almost dry. Backed up by clean shells.

What is your favorite chamber lube used to help empty your gun of spent shotgun shells

If I were one-O-them 'stodgy old farts' (I have been accused of that, now and then) I'd say NO! Lube in the chamber of a gun dramatically increases the pressure against the breech because there ain't no friction 'tween the case and chamber an' ya might, might now, blow sumptin' up.....But I ain't.

(I AM surprised ain't nobody said this yet..... :lol: )

Ok, straight answer. Why? Use shells that work in your gun, AA's STS are a good place to start and make sure the chambers are clean. Like Deuce said, lube of WHATEVER kind will attract dirt, carbon foulding and gum things up, not help. I knows people who "swab" their chambers every stage however I'd submit this is a false solution to other problems. It has been known that a double does leave the factory with a poorly fitted extractor or small chamber defects that hinder the smooth ejection of shells. Though I'd also submit that the last three doubles I bought required no work to the chambers at all....

Eezox ... because it is a lubricant that applied as a thin coating dries

Background: Historically, I shot STS & AA black powder reloads from a MEC SizeMAster that crimps the bases back to factory size. All my firearms, the last wipe is Eezox. And many of these hulls failed to shuck by gravity

Recently: I switched to Remington Clubs and reloaded them with the SizeMaster. Why Clubs? Because they are ribbed and the skeet range barrels are loaded with them. And they have less bearing surface in the chamber because of the ribs than the STS & AA's as a spent hull. The Clubs with Eezox in the chamber - shuck like a greased eel in a bucket of snot

I was honestly surprised that they are a better shot shell for CAS that the professed STS & AA shells

I've been using Dri-Slide Improved Weapons Lubricant, available from UniqueTek. com, in the chambers of my Stoeger SxS for 4 years now. It is a Moly solution that, when dry, does not burn away with shooting.

I apply to clean chambers every six months or so, with a plain old dry swab prior to each days shooting. I tried silicone spray but it would burn away with just 3 or 4 shots. Dri-Slide lasts and lasts.

Put me down for NOTHING in the chambers. They just get dusty and then you can have problems (always at the worst possible time) :mellow:

I clean my SxS after about every other match (more because I like clean guns than anything :) )

I reload STS or Nitro 27 hulls with 1 oz loads at about 1000 fps (according to the book) on a MEC Sizemaster and if I hold the barrels even slightly up the empties will fall out.

I also use a case gauge I got from TL to check every round I reload. That did more to help with the occasional stuck hull than anything.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Chambers dry and polished. A little Armor-all sprayed on a rag and wiped on the hulls works fine. Let the Armor-all dry and then wipe it with a clean rag.

Body oil. Yep, I said it. Johnny Meadows showed me this trick. Clean the chambers with a dry mop after every stage. Then, at the loading table, take you pinky finger and wipe it along one side of your nose. Use that to swab the inside of one chamber. Use the other side of your nose for the other chamber.

(Avoid embarrassing situations by checking your finger for dirt/grease from the first chamber BEFORE wiping nose for the second chamber. ;) )

I saw Johnny use this trick. The guy behind him picked his nose and a big booger lodged in the left chamber. Couldn't get it out. Had to call a "mechanical" on the line.

Use the Armor-all and leave the range in a more sanitary condition.

Lubing your shotgun chambers makes about as much sense as greasing the railroad tracks. :lol:

Honed and polished chambers, kept clean and dry is all thats necessary.

Lubing the chambers only increases the rearward thrust of pressure from the shotshell, back against the face of the receiver. This in turn increases the chances of the gun shooting open when fired. Bad Ju-JU.

RBK

I saw Johnny use this trick. The guy behind him picked his nose and a big booger lodged in the left chamber. Couldn't get it out. Had to call a "mechanical" on the line.

Use the Armor-all and leave the range in a more sanitary condition.

:lol: I guess I should have specified to wipe the OUTSIDE of your nose. :lol:

Chambers dry and polished. A little Armor-all sprayed on a rag and wiped on the hulls works fine. Let the Armor-all dry and then wipe it with a clean rag.

I actually did that for my shells that I used for Last Stand. I know that most people use nice hulls/brass for big matches, but I'm running low on AA hulls so I used the nastiest burned hulls that I had. I cleaned them with a little Armor All and it seemed to do the trick.

Dry, polished chambers. I have a chamber brush with a patch wrapped around it that I run through every now and then during a match. Gun Clubs work great for me with BP.

CR

As of this writing the following tally has number 1 as 'no lube or dry and polished chambers

• Gravity, no lube, 9 votes
  • Silcone spray 3 votes
  • ArmorAll 3 votes
  • Ballistol 2 votes
  • Eezox 1 vote
  • Dri slide 1 vote
  • Human nose oil one vote (from outside of nose)

Why would you need that? Properly prepared chambers need nothing except keeping them clean. I use a paint ball swab on a wood stick to do that.

Why would you need that? Properly prepared chambers need nothing except keeping them clean. I use a paint ball swab on a wood stick to do that.

According to some of the pards that kick my score every other week it helps the spent shells to fall out. I was just following the grown ups. I might need to change. That is after I use the $12.00 of lube I purchased

RBK said:

Lubing your shotgun chambers makes about as much sense as greasing the railroad tracks.

I know this is OT but the BNSF rail road goes up the Tehachapi Loop near our town and they have both stationary track grease lubricators at sharp curves and pickup trucks with steel wheel adapters driving down the tracks that have tanks in the bed applying lube. Learn something new every day on the wire!

Dry clean chambers and Remington STS hulls gets it done for me.

Fordyce

RBK said:

Lubing your shotgun chambers makes about as much sense as greasing the railroad tracks.

I know this is OT but the BNSF rail road goes up the Tehachapi Loop near our town and they have both stationary track grease lubricators at sharp curves and pickup trucks with steel wheel adapters driving down the tracks that have tanks in the bed applying lube. Learn something new every day on the wire!

Dry clean chambers and Remington STS hulls gets it done for me.

Fordyce

Yee Haw!! I knew if I hung out on the wire long enough I would learn something completely new!!! I did not know that there actually was track lube for trains. Gotta go now and tell SWMBO that the wire is indeed educational material!!

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived