SASS Wire Forum

WTB Trapdoor

Bow View

If ya' all could take a look in back of your gun safes and see ifn ya' might have an old Trapdoor to sell.

I am looking for a safe shooting rifle or carbine .45-70 for GAF musters. matching numbers not important, collector value not important, original or reproduction not important. full milspec non-sporter stock is important. safe to shoot with smokeless bp equivilant loads is important. usable sights and bore is important. Budget price is important.

Thanks foryour help.

I have 78' Sprinfield trapdoor I would sale reasonably. It's being refinished and is good condition. Bore is good. I bought it for buffalo shoots but have since purchased a Sharps replica. It has being checked out by my gunsmith and I have fired it with light smokeless and BP loads. Let me know if your interested and I can send you some pictures of it.

My brother-in-law has one he might sell if the price is right. If you'll PM me with a ballpark figure of what you want to spend, I'll ask him. It's been awhile since I saw his rifle but I recall it's in good shape and I know he's shot it a few times.

btt

Howdy J F,

I have a couple. One looks like new ($850) and one that looks used but not abused ($700). Both shoot great and they each have "Buffington" sights. They both are original and have great bores. The $700 dollar one has a Lee Shaver trigger job. I've won several matches with this rifle. They both shoot the same (Great) out to a 1100 yards. I shoot both black & smokeless in each and can tell no difference between the two other than trigger pull. If you plan to compete the "Buffington " sight well help you win. If interested I can send pictures. Hope you find what you want.

Tater

:FlagAm:

Howdy BowView: I have one excellant shape e-mail for pics at jgp3749@cox.net

Jackrabbit

thanks for all the replys, but I should have clarified what my "budget" is. I lost out on a couple on gunbroker with my max bid of $500 and my wife finaly started talking to me 2 days after she found out I bid that much. I really shouldn't even be thinkng about this. I know that the good trap doors are worth close to a grand or even 2 for a pristen original. About all I can hope to afford is a beatup looking, missmatched shooter. I have a soft spot for anything H&R, but again probably out of my price range right now. Maybe a project gun with a sound action? Or a carbine cutdown.? I'm thinking less than $600 to my door,$400 would be better. I think I'm about 40 years to late.

If ya still want to send pics to paarens@yahoo.com

H&R made a great Trapdoor that is an excellent shooter. It is a long-barreled carbine with a checkered stock and a ram rod.

Decent sized gun shows will have dealers with an array of Trapdoors. Dixie Gun Works (www.dixiegunworks.com) has several Trapdoors, one for $695. If you tell them what you need, they may have one in your price range.

I willtry dixie. thanks for the tip. I just have to keep looking. The gun shops here in SE AZ all have the black stuff and I'm not wure the local guy even knows what a trapdoor is?

Archived