SASS Wire Forum

Shot my 1866 Yellowboy for the first time...

Llama Ron

Fired the March '07 vintage Stoeger Uberti 1866 Yellowboy today for the first time. .45 colt...200 grain rnfp lead bullet in starline cases with x.x grains of Trail Boss powder.

This is the first '66 I've shot, so I have no idea what to expect. There was a LOT of blowback with each shot- gasses coming straight up and back that I could feel on my face and forehead. Had some soot on my face afterward...

is this normal on these '66/'73 rifles or just the .45 colt round in them?

This discussion comes up almost monthly either on the SASS WIRE or over on the LEVERGUNS.COM forum . Usually it is about the 45lc rifles and the severe blowback with the down loaded CAS ammo.

The reason the problem is more common with the 45lc rifle is because the makers all use the maximum SAMMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition. Manufacturers’ Institute) specs when they ream the chambers for the gun. They do this so the gun will more likely cycle with a broad spectrum of ammo's. This is why semi-auto pistol with match grade guns are finicky about the ammo they will run. The match grade chambers are tight.

I do warranty work for EMF. They import the Rossi M92 as well. Over the years the EMF folks have had me do chamber cast on various rifles because the customer insisted the chambers were bad. One feller bought an EMF 92 and before he ever shot it sent it to Doug Turnbull for color-case work. Once he shot it with his CAS loads he found that the cases would swell but only on one side, much like your’s. This to him indicated a bulged chamber. He sent the rifle to me along with some of his bulged fired brass to verify this. I did a chamber cast and found the chamber to be within SAMMI spec. and the cases were truly bulged but not beyond SAMMI. Think about this. If the chamber was bulged and the brass was bulged to match extraction would be difficult. Not the case here. The fired bulged brass would easily chamber and fall right out if the open rifle was held vertical. The brass was bulged because that was the softest or the thinnest area of the case, not because the chamber was bad. He insisted, they gave him his money back and I bought a Doug Turnbull CC-ed rifle on the cheap from them.

More recently, they had a feller send me a 92 and a 73 for the same reason. He insisted the chambers were too big on both. I cast both guns and both guns were within SAMMI. He still insist that they are bad, that SAMMI spec are not correct and the industry should do something about it.

This diagram shows both cartridge and chamber dimensions. Please note that unless noted all diameters are +.004 and there .200" inside the chamber the nominal is .4862. if you add .004 to that the chamber can be as large as .4902 and still be in spec. I believe this all came about when the industry changed from the non rebated old balloon style cases like the one shown to the modern rebated rim swaged brass. Notice the max bullet dia. .456. Modern 45lc bullets run to only about .454 max with the majority at .452. The current ammo specs don't fill the chambers like the old balloon case ammo. So hard brass and down loaded CAS ammo will exhibit these problems.

45LC CHAMBER AND CARTRIDGE DEMENSIONS

This 45lc blowby in the rifle problem has been going on for so long now I believe the IMR folks came out with their Trailboss powder just to combat this. A good book charge of Trailboss and a 250 grain bullet crimped well in a Win or Starline case seems to be the solution for some folks. Win or Starline cases are somewhat softer brass than most of the others. Some folks only neck size their once fired rifle brass. For BP, there are some folks using 44-40 brass blown out to 45 and claim it works well. 44-40 brass is really thin.

What Nate said.

You will doubtless be getting a pile of suggestions on how to fix the blowback from the 45LC. Give um a try. I did, and finally applied the final solution to the problem, and rebarreled the damn thang to 44-40. End of blowback problem...... :lol:

What Nate said.

You will doubtless be getting a pile of suggestions on how to fix the blowback from the 45LC. Give um a try. I did, and finally applied the final solution to the problem, and rebarreled the damn thang to 44-40. End of blowback problem...... :lol:

Grizzly That will do it,I decided to spend a bit less and had my chambers sleeved.Had him do both the 66&73,the chamber in the 66 was not SAMMI spec. the 73 was but did not suite me Adios Sgt. Jake

Thanks for the replies and messages.

I did some research reading on this, and it looks like I need a little more crimp and a little more powder...I load on a Lee 3 die progressive, so I just gotta turn a knob!

I'm using good Starline brass and TB powder, so I've got a good start.

Archived