SASS Wire Forum

How practical is Top Break Russian?

Carolina Clint, SASS #76965

I'm slow so not looking for speed at a match, but I like period firearms. I am thinking about purchasing a couple of Russians (already have the 7" Schofields in .45 and 5" Schofields in .38) Just what are the drawbacks of using the top break Russian in SASS shooting? Does the finger guard get caught in the holster? Do your two fingers get tired pulling at the same time? Does that odd grip take getting used to? Does anyone think they present a safety issue because of that finger guard (thinking of catching on a holster and losing grip on the revolver itself)?

I'm slow so not looking for speed at a match, but I like period firearms. I am thinking about purchasing a couple of Russians (already have the 7" Schofields in .45 and 5" Schofields in .38) Just what are the drawbacks of using the top break Russian in SASS shooting? Does the finger guard get caught in the holster? Do your two fingers get tired pulling at the same time? Does that odd grip take getting used to? Does anyone think they present a safety issue because of that finger guard (thinking of catching on a holster and losing grip on the revolver itself)?

The Only disadvantage I saw when I used to shoot mine was the dang rear sight was tiny. The spur off the trigger guard was in no way an issue and allowed a steady two hand grip if desired. Go for it.

Does the finger guard get caught in the holster?
No

Do your two fingers get tired pulling at the same time?
If your asking about using the middle finger on the spur its not particularly taxing.

Does that odd grip take getting used to?
Yes, that little hump needs to be overcome. Its a bit of a reach to the hammer spur (I'm assuming you're shooting duelist).

Does anyone think they present a safety issue because of that finger guard (thinking of catching on a holster and losing grip on the revolver itself
Never had a problem with it. Never heard of a problem with it.

Russians aren't fast and they take some getting used to. Once you get used to the dinky little sights they are quite accurrate. The .44 Russian cartridge is very mild.

Archived