SASS Wire Forum

Remington or Ruger?

Jacknife

I believe that the Remington is a truer copy of the Colt. Several articles that I have read noted issues with aftermarket parts with the Ruger. They all said that the Ruger was good gun if you weer happy with it as it came.

I prefer my IPSC-grade S&W Doug Keonig model 1911 for modern WB. If I wanted a WB traditional I would look at some of the plain Colts being offered.

Hands Down The Ruger :rolleyes:

And bone stock it needs no improvements. :o

OH YEAH Its 100 % American Made ! :FlagAm:

Howdy,

I suggest you read up on the 1911 original design and its weaknesses.

If you are going to own a 1911 type pistol for a long time you will have

to deal with its weaknesses.

Ive heard that faithful copy of the original 1911 also copies its weak points.

From what Ive seen the Ruger is the choice, they are scarce today but wait

they always have a few changes on most any gun, then they are really good.

Springfield. Just a thought.

Best

CR

For the looks- the Remington is beautiful- that Remington rollmark on the slide in very nice.

For American made- Ruger.

Remington says it's R1 is 'made in our NY factory...' they don't say that it is 'put together' there...ARMSCOR build the gun in the Phillipines, which doesn't bother me, I have a Citadel.

Armscor also builds the American Classic, Rock Island Armory, Cimarron and the STI Spartan.

If given the choice between the two I'd take the remington.

Guest Hardly Dangerous Updated

I have not shot the Remington but the one I handled at a shop was a good looking gun and seemed well made. If I were looking for a Traditional class Wild Bunch 1911 that's what I'd buy. That said the Ruger would definitely fall into the Modern class but it's really nice. Mine shoots better than my Kimber, and is point of aim with standard ball ammo. I personally can't think of anything I need to add to it but that's me. It's priceyer than the Remington but I've had good luck with Rugers. JMOO.

HD

I have a Remington R1 that I have been shooting for a year and half or so. It could not be any better. I know that there will sometimes be some variation from sample to sample. I don't know if I got the "best of the lot" or a typical sample but it is FINE. If a Ruger is better it is one fine a## 1911.

Blackfoot

Remington says it's R1 is 'made in our NY factory...' they don't say that it is 'put together' there...ARMSCOR build the gun in the Phillipines, which doesn't bother me, I have a Citadel.

Armscor also builds the American Classic, Rock Island Armory, Cimarron and the STI Spartan.

I have never heard this before, that Armscor builds the Remington; In all the reviews I have read, Remington is manufactued in the USA and not just assembled here. Where did you get your information? To be sure, I called Remintgon today and the Remington R-1 1911 is ............... manufactured in the USA. It is NOT manufactured by Armscor and just assembled here. If you have better info, please share.

Thanks

MJJ

I have a Remington R1 that I have been shooting for a year and half or so. It could not be any better. I know that there will sometimes be some variation from sample to sample. I don't know if I got the "best of the lot" or a typical sample but it is FINE. If a Ruger is better it is one fine a## 1911.

Blackfoot

Why Yes It Is One Fine A## 1911. :blink:

OH Yeah its 100% American Made . :wub:

And RUGER Has The Best Warranty In The Business :excl:

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

For the looks- the Remington is beautiful- that Remington rollmark on the slide in very nice.

For American made- Ruger.

If given the choice between the two I'd take the remington.

Bullcorn!!! Not true. Where did you fall for that false internet rumor?

My R1 like all R1s is MADE AND assembled in the USA. It don't get no better for a Traditional category gun. Mine has been flawless and bobble free as well as unbelievably accurate. It is box stock and the trigger is fine.

Some day I will have a Ruger SR1911 for a Modern category gun but I am in no hurry. Gonna at least wait til after the recall...

Bullcorn!!! Not true. Where did you fall for that false internet rumor?

My R1 like all R1s is MADE AND assembled in the USA. It don't get no better for a Traditional category gun. Mine has been flawless and bobble free as well as unbelievably accurate. It is box stock and the trigger is fine.

Some day I will have a Ruger SR1911 for a Modern category gun but I am in no hurry. Gonna at least wait til after the recall...

AFTER THE RECALL LOL ? Not on this model :excl:

There is no recall and no problems with the gun .

So far I have put 1100 rounds thew the gun with out a single failure !

Ruger did this gun the right way with a series 70 design .

I would go as far as to say you wont find a better production 1911 for the money B)

I know this is a discussion of the attributes of Ruger and Remington but for about the same or a little more $$$ you can buy a real Colt.

DD

Remington R-1's retail in these parts for about $635, Ruger SR1911 will be about the same when the "gotta have one" factor dies down and supply increases. They are going for $799 full retail at most places. Colt 1991's retail for about $759-799. Out of the three, the Ruger has more features - stainless, extended palm safety, skeleton trigger and hammer, extended thumb safety, non-adustable Novak sights. If you buy a Colt or Remington with the same features, the price is higher than the Ruger. That's why Rugers are so hard to get - the best "bang" for the buck. Their fit and finish is outstanding.

MJJ

Remington R-1's retail in these parts for about $635, Ruger SR1911 will be about the same when the "gotta have one" factor dies down and supply increases. They are going for $799 full retail at most places. Colt 1991's retail for about $759-799. Out of the three, the Ruger has more features - stainless, extended palm safety, skeleton trigger and hammer, extended thumb safety, non-adustable Novak sights. If you buy a Colt or Remington with the same features, the price is higher than the Ruger. That's why Rugers are so hard to get - the best "bang" for the buck. Their fit and finish is outstanding.

MJJ

+1 and I got my Ruger SR1911 out the door for 679.00

The remington rep at the SHOT show refused to directly answer the question 'where are the slides and frames made? when asked about ARMSCOR providing them.

He would give a shy smile and answer word-for-word that the gun was 'manufactured' here at their USA facility and wouldn't answer any other way.

So take that for what you want.

Well someone who I trust explicitly was in Remingtons factory in Illion N. Y. on another matter. While there they showed him the R 1 production area,they are made in house.

He was impressed with the R1 that's enough for me. Adios Sgt. Jake

The remington rep at the SHOT show refused to directly answer the question 'where are the slides and frames made? when asked about ARMSCOR providing them.

He would give a shy smile and answer word-for-word that the gun was 'manufactured' here at their USA facility and wouldn't answer any other way.

I will wager ye are wrong, make it light on yourself. How many pards do you have to have tell you? Ye have fallen into an internet rumor trap. Happens to all of us at times. Be advised I only bet on sure things.

I have an R1 and an Armscor (Rock Island) and there is no comparison. I like my Rock, but I really love my R1.

I shoot IDPA on the side in the CDP category. I have seen both in action and either choice will be a great 1911 IMHO.

But let me ask you this, why didn't you mention a Colt?

When I first started looking, I didn't even look at Colts because I KNEW the were TOO expensive and not very good. Boy was I wrong!!!

I have two Colt 1911s now (100 yrs service) that haven't missed a lick...185 gr HP, 200gr lead SWC as well as 230gr ball & HP! Not one glitch brother!

First was an 80 series GI model ($775) & second was an 80 series XSE ($840).

I am not trying to sway you from two GREAT 1911s put out by two GREAT gun companies at all...just throwing another name in the pot for that price range.

The term "manufactured" would mean that the parts are made in the US. Legally, he would have had to use the term "Assembled in the USA" if what you are implying is true.

Even so, having 1911 parts manufactured by Armscor isn't necessarily a negative considering they have beem making 1911's for 60 years. I would guess that they have made more 1911's than any other company.

MJJ

The reason Rugers are so hard to get is that, as of December 2011, only around 10,000 had been produced and there were 48,000 back ordered. This info came from the Ruger rep at the Convention. He said they were starting a dedicated production line for the 1911's shortly and should be able to catch up in three or four months. They appear to be very good guns but their lack of availability has nothing to do with their popularity. :)

Just their price :unsure:

MJJ

No, they're just not out there. The biggest Ruger dealer in eastern N.C. has only had four since the gun came out. The store where I work has gotten one. True, the price is right but if I don't have them and am not willing to take people's money to be put on a waiting list I can sell them for $100 or maybe even offer them for free. :)

Ruger only put out 500 SR1911 to start with .

Now that they have a back order of guns they are about to go in to full production .

We as consumers might not like the way they do it.

But its smart business if you are Ruger !

Look at the Red Label out of production right now .

To many Red Label on the shelves new and used .

Once the market drys up some they will start making more.

Right now Ruger is in the process of coming out with a new pump shotgun .

To compete with the 870. :blink:

NO gun maker can survive building guns that wont sell.

The Ruger SR 1911 will be available soon. :blink:

I will wager ye are wrong, make it light on yourself. How many pards do you have to have tell you? Ye have fallen into an internet rumor trap. Happens to all of us at times. Be advised I only bet on sure things.

:excl: It was on the internet- so it must be true!!

neither Remington or Ruger has made a 1911 before so this is the first for both of them. I think both makers put out a fine gun but I will go with Ruger on this one as thier 1911 just seems to be made better. After that being said I trust my life with my Colt 1911 that I wear every day to work as a LEO. I have a few more Colts on my bucket list...not so many Rugers or Remingtons.

Springfield for me! Best warranty in the business and much longer history making them then the other two.

KQ

Not the manufacturing process. Frames are made by Imbel in Brazil. Not knocking the gun I have two of them.

I have a SR1911 that is running great. I have shot it in several WB matches no jams, no problems at all.. I purchased a ambi safety for it. Installed with no problem. Right out the box it has shot with no problems. It had a foul up with a Mec-Gar mag. The mag is one of the new ones from MG that does not have a fully supported follower. When used with Ruger, Colt, Springfield, Chip Mccormic mags I have had no problems.

Archived