SASS Wire Forum

OT: Tell Me About Your Mini 14

Dusty Morningwood

OK. First the rules. This is not intended to start a competition about what other guns you think are better. I just want to get opinions on your experience with Ruger Mini-14s (Not Mini-30s. Not AR 15s. Just Mini-14s).

I have been looking at a couple of nice Pre-ban Factory Folders and really like their looks. They seem solid, too. Being someone who prefers wood and steel to various alloys and composites, it appeals to my general astehtic.

Seems I read that the Mini-14 will consume both factory .223 and 5.56 ammo equally well. Is this true? If not, what do they like to eat best?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had one back some years ago,the rifle functioned just fine. The problem for me was best I could get out of it accuracy wise was 5" at a hundred,factory or handloads.I used 223 Rem and Lake City 556.

Now I have a friend who picked one up and that rifle is just the opposite of the one I had. Told him if he ever has to,wants to get rid of it Ill give him exactly what he paid for it.

Adios Sgt. Jake

I had a bre-ban and sold it (damm me) but got another one about 5 years ago.

It has the flolding stock on it, as well as the wooden one with a mil-dot scope mounted on it.

It shoots anything I put in it; the only thing that I did was to work on the gas port. I get a 2 to 3 inch group with hand loads but 5" with the cheep stuff.

I've never owned one but have shot friend's. From my little experience the Mini-14 is to the .223/5.56 what the 10/22 is to the .22 Long Rifle. It's a 100% reliable rifle that's infinitely customizable. The chamber is cut so that yes, it will handle both .223 and 5.56

(For those folks who think those two are the same, I found out the hard way they're not. Just try loading 5.56 into a .223 match barrel. :( )

I currently have an older factory folder in blued steel. My dad has on in SS. I let my ranch rifle go last summer. None of the 3 have ever missed a beat and have eaten ANY ammo I tossed in them. I even ran my folder in a few 3-gun matches in an open sight category. Accuracy was good enough for that. The ranch rifle was the only one I ever tried for accuracy and I have been known to pop a groundhog out to 150 yards with it successfully. Not a perfect headshot, but the job was done instantly. The RR with the built on ruger mounts is the way to go if you wished to scope one.

It's a fantastic all-round rifle - here are two pictures of mine (it's an older one). It feeds .223/5.56 NATO perfectly One has the 'black' Butler Creek stock that I grinded the fingers grooves off the other I wanted to make it more 'retro' style of the first ones that came out.

Retro-style

'Black' folder style

If I was looking for a tactical rifle I may look elsewhere, but I don't see a need to put all the flashlight, laser, hologram optics and such on it. BUT, here is an expensive stock that could accomodate that kind of thing;

http://www.scarstock...SCAR-STOCK.html

IMHO - Only go with Ruger Factory mags!! (the stainless one in the pic with the black folder has been worked to work flawlessly, but it was....work!)

http://shopruger.com...es/products/98/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Accuracy sucked so I got rid of it. 5 inches at 100 yards....

I'm with Lumpy. I have owned 3 , shot probably 50, and seen well over a hundred here at the range. They shoot "minute of pie plate". But that seems good enough for most owners. (actually most shoot 4-8" at 100yds.) with descent ammunition. Not good enough for me, but you may be satisfied.

For those that complain about accuracy the Mini-14 can have the barrel replaced to achieve on par or better than an out-of-the-box AR style rifle. The new ones sold now are more accurate than previous models...

http://www.ruger-min...mini_prices.php

The Ranch Rifle has always been good to me. 195 series and accuracy is good enough to take out zombies as far as I would care to try with one, and I don't think an autoloader comes much more reliable. Despite preferring the looks of wood, I ended up with a black stock on mine, simply because I wanted a slightly longer length of pull.

For those that complain about accuracy the Mini-14 can have the barrel replaced to achieve on par or better than an out-of-the-box AR style rifle. The new ones sold now are more accurate than previous models...

Then it aint a Mini 14 in anything other than name.... It's a custom rifle because more is done than just a barrel swap.

"On par" maybe, BUT not better than a "rack-grade AR15/M4 rifle. BTDT ;)

Haven't seen a "new" mini-14 out shoot my M4 yet with "issue" ammo.

Liked my ranch rifle. BUT even after Ruger put a new bbl on it(for free, BTW)it still shot like a shotgun...

Respectfully,

LG

"On par" maybe, BUT not better than a "rack-grade AR15/M4 rifle. BTDT ;)

Haven't seen a "new" mini-14 out shoot my M4 yet with "issue" ammo.

Liked my ranch rifle. BUT even after Ruger put a new bbl on it(for free, BTW)it still shot like a shotgun...

Respectfully,

LG

Well...Ive heard different so....anyway, I knew this would be a Mini-14 vs AR thing :rolleyes: ....It always is...:lol:

My Ruger shoots around 4" / 100 yards with off the shelf stuff - perfect for what I need it to be. If I want better I'll send her out get a better barrel

My first remark was to the OP, ONLY ;)

Then GG you jumped in, and I remarked, with "hands-on" facts, to your post.

If your happy with 4"/100yds, GREAT. That means you might hit a rabbit @ 100yds then. :excl:

I KNOW my M4 will ;)

Carry on,

LG

My first remark was to the OP, ONLY ;)

Then GG you jumped in, and I remarked, with "hands-on" facts, to your post.

If your happy with 4"/100yds, GREAT. That means you might hit a rabbit @ 100yds then. :excl:

I KNOW my M4 will ;)

Carry on,

LG

But it will put you well within the vitals of a coyote or larger animal! A .223 still has a lot of steam at 100 yards. Not sure what it would do to a rabbit, since I have never tried, but I also think there is a reason I haven't tried.

I have had three mini's, one back in the early eighties, a ranch rifle from mid nineties and a new target model. All of them were fun and reliable, none of them , including the "target" model were accurate. I believe the inaccuracy is due to a too small connection where the barrel connects to the receiver so replacing the barrel will not gain you much. Cold accuracy was tolerable, hot barrel accuracy was poor. The one I still have has half of a case stuck in the chamber.

But it will put you well within the vitals of a coyote or larger animal! A .223 still has a lot of steam at 100 yards. Not sure what it would do to a rabbit, since I have never tried, but I also think there is a reason I haven't tried.

Doc, being your former Mil,(THANK YOU for your service :excl: )you should know what the .223/5.56mm round does to thin skinned "critters" at 100yds ;)

It not the round that is in question here......It's the tool used to deliver it ;)

Respectfully,

LG

Thank goodness mine has never jammed (with a factory 5, 20 magazine)..fired a lot of various ammo (no steel ammo) and has literally thousands of rounds fired through it. My gum..my experience...and I aint the only one out there. :D yes, I like my rifle.

Over and out ;)

GG

BTW: the Accuracy Systems barrel conversions truly improve accuracy significantly.

I had a mini 14 back in the early eighties. it was a series 181. And i thought it shot quite well. off a make shift bench with open sights (Back then I had above average eyesight) it would shoot 1"-2" groups at 100 yds. At the time I just thought they were all like that. If I knew then what I knew now I probably would have kept it. I rember I paid $250.00 for it.

The ammo was some that i got from a commercial reloader. I used to get a good price on it. And after the fact i realized the gun really liked that ammo.

He went with the lower cost option and was hittin' bottles off hand at pretty good distances...cost doesn't matter if your happy with the end result ;)

GG

GG

Doc, being your former Mil,(THANK YOU for your service :excl: )you should know what the .223/5.56mm round does to thin skinned "critters" at 100yds ;)

It not the round that is in question here......It's the tool used to deliver it ;)

Respectfully,

LG

Not former yet! Hoping to add "retired" in a few more months, though, and thanks. And yes, spending the majority of my time as a medic, I have an idea.

I know you're not impressed by the Mini-14, and I am not about to try to change your mind. I believe they are a good rifle for what they are, a relatively inexpensive, very reliable carbine. Accuracy with them can be OK, and can be made better by a variety of means. I also understand that accuracy is better with certain bullet weights, and has also improved over time, although I can only report based on my own Ranch Rifle. I haven't shot it at 100 yards since adding the new stock, which can affect accuracy, so I can't even give you its current accuracy. Prior to the change, I could take out zombie pop cans at 50 meters, off-hand. 100 yards was in the 3"-4" range, as I recall.

If accuracy were paramount and money not in the equation, I would take an AR. Although I have often found myself defending the reliability of the AR platform, in terms of reliability, I will take my Ranch Rifle. That's just me, though.

A friend had one of the newer ones with the harmonic balancer thing on the end of the barrel. He was about ready to throw the whole thing into the trash when we finally found the sweet spot on the balancer. It instantly turned into a sub MOA rifle. He did some trigger work on it also, got all the slack out of the trigger and about a 3 pound pull.

Sounds like your just another Mini 14 basher LG...;)

GG

Say what you will/want. :rolleyes: My remarks(and MANY others in this thread)are from "hands-on" use of both platforms.

The mini 14 is a tool in the shed to choose from...It's just that there are much better tools in that same shed is all.

Don't make the mini 14 out to be something it ain't....

LG

Say what you will/want. :rolleyes: My remarks(and MANY others in this thread)are from "hands-on" use of both platforms.

The mini 14 is a tool in the shed to choose from...It's just that there are much better tools in that same shed is all.

Don't make the mini 14 out to be something it ain't....

LG

I don't - have shot both 'platforms' myself...and my comments are spot on.

Doc Wards post is spot on IMHO and sums it up... ;)

LG you are right on the money. The mini is a great tool but don't expect it to shoot as well as an average AR. There pro's are ultra reliability and a very handy size. I've owned a couple that were decent but they've both gone down the road in favor of a light bolt gun. My last one was a target model that would do moa, but was so finicky I couldn't see how it was worth the trouble or extra weight.

A friend had one of the newer ones with the harmonic balancer thing on the end of the barrel. He was about ready to throw the whole thing into the trash when we finally found the sweet spot on the balancer. It instantly turned into a sub MOA rifle. He did some trigger work on it also, got all the slack out of the trigger and about a 3 pound pull.

Right on ;)

I still own the first one I bought back in '77. It was fun and dependable at close range, but accuracy wasn't that great. That one is currently in my nephews possesion, he really liked to play with it. I have bought 2 or 3 others thru the years when the price was right but never kept any of them. Same deal on the accuracy with those.

So, a custom Mini 14 can be more accurate that a box stock AR15? How Surprising. How does it do against custom AR15s? :D

All kidding aside, if your are stuck with a mini 14 (due to state laws etc.) or just want one, they are reliable guns but not really that accurate. They have a reputation for throwing fliers, which appears to be more common with some of the stainless guns for some reason. They are pretty tough, but I have seen two with broken receivers (though these were very high round count guns from the California Department of Corrections). There a lot of accessories available for the Mini but, the aftermarket high cap magazines tend to be junk. Ruger is making the 20 round factory magazines again, where laws allow it, and they would be the best way to go. The original factory 30 rounders are hard to find, expensive and getting pretty long in the tooth by now.

So, a custom Mini 14 can be more accurate that a box stock AR15? How Surprising. How does it do against custom AR15s? :D

All kidding aside, if your are stuck with a mini 14 (due to state laws etc.) or just want one, they are reliable guns but not really that accurate. They have a reputation for throwing fliers, which appears to be more common with some of the stainless guns for some reason. They are pretty tough, but I have seen two with broken receivers (though these were very high round count guns from the California Department of Corrections). There a lot of accessories available for the Mini but, the aftermarket high cap magazines tend to be junk. Ruger is making the 20 round factory magazines again, where laws allow it, and they would be the best way to go. The original factory 30 rounders are hard to find, expensive and getting pretty long in the tooth by now.

Yup - they can be made to be more accurate, but as mentioned they are great for what they are intended to be - a handy very reliable carbine. That's how I like mine...also had my barrel cut down to 16.250" :)

I replaced the rear sight with a 'ghost ring' from XS sights and it's easier to shoulder and acquisition than the factory version (well....the peep from my '96 186 series)

Not former yet! Hoping to add "retired" in a few more months, though, and thanks. And yes, spending the majority of my time as a medic, I have an idea.

I know you're not impressed by the Mini-14, and I am not about to try to change your mind. I believe they are a good rifle for what they are, a relatively inexpensive, very reliable carbine. Accuracy with them can be OK, and can be made better by a variety of means. I also understand that accuracy is better with certain bullet weights, and has also improved over time, although I can only report based on my own Ranch Rifle. I haven't shot it at 100 yards since adding the new stock, which can affect accuracy, so I can't even give you its current accuracy. Prior to the change, I could take out zombie pop cans at 50 meters, off-hand. 100 yards was in the 3"-4" range, as I recall.

If accuracy were paramount and money not in the equation, I would take an AR. Although I have often found myself defending the reliability of the AR platform, in terms of reliability, I will take my Ranch Rifle. That's just me, though.

Doc, here's hoping you have a VERY long and happy retirement :excl::FlagAm:

My gripe with the mini 14 is by the time some folks are done with tring to get it to shoot almost as well as other .223's do from the box. You could have bought the other one to start with.

I loved the feel and how well my mini 14 Ranch felt and worked. BUT, it shot like a shotgun and that stayed the same even after Ruger put a new bbl on at THEIR cost.

I have seen many folks have the same mini 14 issues that I went through. It was the only Ruger I ever wanted to wrap around a telephone pole :excl:

Respectfully,

LG

Archived