SASS Wire Forum

What's the biggest fish you ever caught?

Grizzly Dave

Biggest trout I ever caught was about a 28 inch brown caught in a tributary of the North Platte in WY. Caught it on a dry fly and only reason I know the size is I have my 5 wt rod marked at intervals from the butt up a ways. That way its easy to check size and put the fish back pretty darn quick - no fishing around in the vest for a tape measure or anything.

Probably the biggest I ever caught was about a 34 inch bluefish in a bay off Brunswick Maine. Shouldn't have been able to land it casue I was tossing a fly with a 7 wt rod and using regular tippet. How that fish didn't bite through the leader/tippet I'll never know cause they got some teeth on em. Of course, the record catch for the day goes to my brother. He was using a regular spinning rod and tossing bait. On one cast, he caught a pelican before his bait even hit the water. Bird saw that fish coming through the air and grabbed it. Gave him one heckuva fight I'll tell you. Laughed myself silly.

Biggest trout I ever caught was about a 28 inch brown caught in a tributary of the North Platte in WY. Caught it on a dry fly and only reason I know the size is I have my 5 wt rod marked at intervals from the butt up a ways. That way its easy to check size and put the fish back pretty darn quick - no fishing around in the vest for a tape measure or anything.

Probably the biggest I ever caught was about a 34 inch bluefish in a bay off Brunswick Maine. Shouldn't have been able to land it casue I was tossing a fly with a 7 wt rod and using regular tippet. How that fish didn't bite through the leader/tippet I'll never know cause they got some teeth on em. Of course, the record catch for the day goes to my brother. He was using a regular spinning rod and tossing bait. On one cast, he caught a pelican before his bait even hit the water. Bird saw that fish coming through the air and grabbed it. Gave him one heckuva fight I'll tell you. Laughed myself silly.

Dang - first I get an error that the administrator is limiting the number of posts I can me in a short time - saying the reply wouldn't go through and that I should copy and paste it to try again. Then when I do, it shows up as a double tap. WTH?

I don't like to fish. Last time I tried was a couple of summers ago at Broadhead Lake in Oakland, MD. I got sick of messing with the equipment so I just turned the bucket over and sat there. I watched an eagle swoop down, bring up a fish and fly away. So my fishing trip was worthwhile after all.

Frazee

Every once in a while a sea gull will dive a a herring on a hook.

Well, not to pi$ on the campfire, but I really never do weigh or measure my fish. Only if I have killed the fish and plan to eat it. Otherwise, I try to release it UNHARMED into the water.

Too late, you already did. :rolleyes: I imagine most folks in SASS never hunt or fish and waste the resourses. I used to love to duck hunt, but I never ate the duck. A Vietnamese lady down the road would be the happy recipient of many a duck. I do love fish, so nothing is thrown back unless illegal.

I have a similiar story, back in the 90's I fished the lower Potomac alot. On one trip I was fishing a plastic rat across a grass bed and had an Osprey swoop down and snatch-up my "rat". My buddy about fell off the boat laughing. After the initial shock I thought it was cool to have seen a bird of prey in action.

about a 6lb Catfish

about a 5lb Largemouth

My biggest fish, as well as most memorable, have to be the 7.5 pound gar I caught in the Chowan River in North Carolina in the early '70's.

I have a similiar story, back in the 90's I fished the lower Potomac alot. On one trip I was fishing a plastic rat across a grass bed and had an Osprey swoop down and snatch-up my "rat". My buddy about fell off the boat laughing. After the initial shock I thought it was cool to have seen a bird of prey in action.

about a 6lb Catfish

about a 5lb Largemouth

The part I didn't mention was me trying to get the hook out of that birds bill. Those pelicans can be nasty buggers when they want.

My best fishing memory is when my youngest was in Cub Scouts and we took the boys fishing at a little pond near Greenfield Mass. The boys were having me bait their hooks for them. One little boy brought a particularly fat worm over and asked me to put in on the hook. I took the worm and hook and brought them up close so I could see what I was doing. Well the worm exploded right on my mouth!! We got a good laugh out of it but to this day I still have to wash my mouth when talking about it!

Hmmm my post disapeared.. olkayh... so 220 pounds and it was huge... It was the biggest fish, and I used a net.. And then I woke up... lol

Archived