SASS Wire Forum

What's the biggest fish you ever caught?

Grizzly Dave

Ol Badger is getting cranky not bein able to go drown some flies, so lets tell some fishin stories.

Only ever caught trout, bass, bluegill, catfish and one walleye, I reckon the biggest might have been 18 inches or so.

Only salt water fishing I ever did was with hand lines and I didn't catch anything.

65# Spoonbill on Lake of the Ozarks.

38lb. catfish on the rankest thing you ever threw in the water and 42 lb. carp on strawberry jello dough.... (an even BIGGER one got away) :lol:

11lb Gulf Flounder - the thing was as big as a large door mat.

9lb Bass

8' Bull Shark - probably 350 to 400lb....I wasn't gonna weigh it.

22lb Snook - Best eatin' fish around.

Caught a 3,000lb Barracuda once........with the front end of a Mustang.......not a pretty sight. :(

CS

My cousin, myself, and a host of others caught a alligator snapping turtle on a trotline in the Blue River in South OK. It weighed over 70 lbs and the OKC zoo sent a truck with a kiddy pool down and hauled it off. It was on display at the zoo for many years, but I no longer have a clue if this is still true.

I shot an arrow into a gar in the Red River above Lake Texoma. We were in a 14 foot aluminum boat and he was very close, if not a bit more, than half the length of the boat. Alas, his scales were tougher than the line connecting the arrow to the bow and we did not get him to the bank.

I have caught one bass just a bit over 5 lbs and a blue cat that went 12. What the cat was doing in the water I have not a clue, let alone a explanation for the coloring.

Fisherpersons are suspected of being liars, doncha know? :blink:

Three guys on a bridge...First liar doesn't have a chance...18 inches for a trout in Alaska was kinda small...But King Salmon I would get were about 4 to 5 feet and about 85 to 90 pounds...The 18 inch we would just throw back...They were too small...

Texas Lizard

Yeah, but you shoudda been here yesterday. Couldn't keep 'em outta the boat.

I guess my biggest fish was a 47 pound bluegill I caught with a 2/0 hook off rocky point. :)

Is that the one where you used the 7# cricket?

Wal Shux... as a kid growin' up in Texas I once caught a 9 1/2 inch catfish...! :)

Now, THAT was excitin'!! ^_^

Silver salmon on a fly up in Alaska. I don't know exactly how big the biggest was, but we caught so many in three days that I had to start casting with my other arm after the second day. It was absolutely GREAT!!

I caught a sucker in 1989 that was 5'2 98 pounds .

We got married Jan 20th 1989 and it was the best fish i ever caught.

I say sucker because i dont know to this day what ever she seen in me .

But I win any way you look at it . :wub:

Wal Shux... as a kid growin' up in Texas I once caught a 9 1/2 inch catfish...! :)

Now, THAT was excitin'!! ^_^

But ya gotta remember, Folks, that back in them days in Texas we used to measure 'em between the eyes... :rolleyes:

Well, it was about this long and as heavy as

a freight train if I remember correctly. :rolleyes:

Happy trails

QDG

180 pound idiot!

I hung a Rapala minnow in a bush, jerked the rod to free it, and it came right back at me and buried one point of a treble hook right into my lower lip. I chose the cowardly way to remove the hook, as in, get some novacaine first. I'll never forget the nurse when I walked into the ER. I had my hat off and covering my lip with it. I asked, "Is there a doctor here today that can dig out a fish hook?" She said, "Where is it?" I lowered my hat, exposing the Rapala minnow. Her lips started quivering, she started quivering, then she ran out into the hall and burst out laughing. She finally came back in, mostly composed, and apologized for laughing at my pain. Heck, I thought it was funny as all get out, watching her trying so desperately not to laugh in my face.

The doc had never removed a fish hook before, so I had to explain the procedure to him. When he cut the barb off, it flew up and stuck him in the throat, bringing blood. He's lucky it didn't hit him in an eye.

To this day, I don't understand how a fish can fight. Even with the novacaine and no pain, when the doc pulled on the hook, I went with him. No shaking my head and trying to pull away from him.

Biggest one ever was about 28 inches. Brown trout. On a fly (barbless) that I tied and a #6 tippet. I ended up chasing that fish down stream as it pulled all the fly line off my reel and got into the backing! That sucker took a while to land. I was glad I had a net. I was also happy to be able to successfully release it.

Biggest one ever was about 28 inches. Brown trout. On a fly (barbless) that I tied and a #6 tippet. I ended up chasing that fish down stream as it pulled all the fly line off my reel and got into the backing! That sucker took a while to land. I was glad I had a net. I was also happy to be able to successfully release it.

Good on ya, Doc! ;)

Freshwater

Channel Catfish -- 17 lbs.

Blue Catfish -- 43 lbs.

Bigmouth Bass -- 8.5 lbs.

Smallmouth Bass -- 4 lbs.

White Crappie -- 3 lbs.

Saltwater

Halibut -- 151 lbs. (thrown back -- female)

Halibut -- several 40 lbs.+

Silver Salmon -- 24 lbs.

King Salmon -- 41 lbs.

Lingcod -- 27 lbs. (caught on a yellow rockfish that I was reeling in)

Snook -- 29 lbs. (caught off of Costa Rica and eaten fresh that night)

Used to fish Sea of Cortez a lot in baja on my boat. Caught lots of Marlin (mostly catch & release up to 200#), Tuna (largest was 128#), but my biggest was a Black Sea Bass that weighed 366#. Sad part was the fish died before I could release it and it wasn't that great eating.

Da DNR stocks the lakes up here and der's a wooden sign, all carved and painted nice wif da fish and der minimun keeper size.

As da Mrs and I whar fishing, da game warden came up. checked our licnses and I asked, "Dis Northern........Dat's got to be a mistake !" I said .

And da game warden answered, "No sir, that's the minium keeper size of 49' !'

I blurded out, "What da he77 ya use fer bait.........a damn squirrel ?!" Da game warden just walked off.

Good on ya, Doc! ;)

Thanks!

It was a dog gone good pool I caught that fish in. A bunch of 20"+ trout. Rainbows and brows. You could see 'em all piled up in the current waiting for bugs. All ya had to do was drift the right nymph through 'em.

Only problem was they'd seen every fly in the Orvis catalog!

It was on Hunting Creek just N of Frederick, MD.

I dragged in a 35.5 inch Gr. Northern once off the St. Lawrence River. Had to let it go. Minimum keeper there was 36 inches. Heck of a fighter though.

41 inch, 19 pound Northern Pike. It is hanging on the wall above my left shoulder. Caught that in Canada almost 20 years ago. Caught about a 20 pound king salmon in Lake Michigan.

Don't feel bad Pulp, I got hooked myself when I was about 10. Left middle finger. Doc had to remove that as well but no laughing nurses. Novacaine is a wonderous thing. My eyes must have bugged out when I saw the doc turn that hook and it came out a new hole. He did a complete loop with that bugger.

I like to catch them but I never acquired a real taste for them. Must be too much lutefisk in a past life.

Well, not to pi$$ on the campfire, but I really never do weigh or measure my fish. Only if I have killed the fish and plan to eat it. Otherwise, I try to release it UNHARMED into the water.

I see so many videos and picture of folks holding fish out of the water for a picture that I cringe when

I do. Most of those fish will not survive because of handling. If you doubt it, check with your fish and game department. If you must have a picture of the fish, please learn how to handle the fish to limit you impact

on it. I guess if you are going to kill and eat the fish, it really doesn't matter all that much, but so many folks will hold the fish up, some by the gills, and then throw it back like a sack of potatoes. That fish will most likely not survive so you should have killed and eaten it anyway, cause it won't be there to breed or for someone else to catch.

My take on it, I get a bigger thrill catching the fish, and if the fish wins, so much the better.

That said, I have caught and eaten several king salmon that would go over twenty pounds easy. I did

land one on a cattle boat out of Westport a few years back that went 33 pounds and was about thirty inches long. I didn't really measure it but it didn't fit in the ice chest. The tail was curled up. I do not know if that was the biggest one or not. I have hooked and lost steelhead and salmon but I have no idea

how big they were. They were fun to hook, and fun to watch, and even fun to see them run free. Although I did feel bad about leaving the hook in their mouth. They most likely threw it as soon as the pressure was off.

Ok, I will get off my soap box. But fishing is very near and dear to my heart. I hate to seen anything that will detract from the sport and spoil it for our children and theirs.

Archived