SASS Wire Forum

WTB: 58 Remington Conversions in 44/40

I was just checking to see if anyone had a pair of the 58 Remmington Conversions in 44/40? I currenty shoot my Open Tops in 38 along with my 44/40 rifle and would like to shoot the same caliber if possible. Checked out the Taylors web site and the new price is a bit more than I would like to spend at this time. Thanks Diamond Curly

I'm curious, do you intend to re-barrel them? Mine all slug at .451, and my 44-40s slug around .428

CR

I believe he is speaking of the Uberti factory 1858 "Conversions". Most of them were in 45 Colt but they did make 44/40 ones and some 38 Special also.

I have some 44/40 conversions that I am building in the shop right now and am using 36 barrels that are going to be rebored to .429.

Relining the Remington barrel can be done but is problematic as it's OD is really too small.

Then too, I am curious wether the conversion cylinder comes with the pistol or just the BP cylinder and you have to buy the conversion cylinder seperate.

Also, I suspect the barrel is already a 44-40 Uberti barrel which is suspect is 430

I emailed Taylor's to ask the question about the cylinder but no answer yet

Then too, I am curious wether the conversion cylinder comes with the pistol or just the BP cylinder and you have to buy the conversion cylinder seperate.

Also, I suspect the barrel is already a 44-40 Uberti barrel which is suspect is 430

Atascosa

You completely lost me there with that one :wacko:

The way I understand the Taylor's add is that this revolver is sold as a conversion and not a BP pistol with a conversion cylinder. I may be wrong but that is what I am looking for. They advertise that the 44/40 is available. DC

Now that's cool! I'd sure like to have a pair of those. Is this a period conversion, or just something Taylor offers?

CR

Now that's cool! I'd sure like to have a pair of those. Is this a period conversion, or just something Taylor offers?

CR

I have not read about any 58's converted to shoot 44/40 but anything would be possible after the war I am sure. Take a look at the Taylor's web page and the picture looks great of them. DC

I have not read about any 58's converted to shoot 44/40 but anything would be possible after the war I am sure. Take a look at the Taylor's web page and the picture looks great of them. DC

As far as I know all conversions of origninal Remingtons were to callibers that alowed the use of the existing bore. Todays gun manufacturers will produce anything that they believe some one will buy. '51 Colts in .44 caliber as an example. And no doubt there is some market for a Remington in .44-40 for those who have a lever gun in that caliber.

My own Remingtons have conversions to .45 long Colt. This also alows switching back to cap & ball if/ when I desire to do that.

I guess they are like Hen's teeth, so will try again in a couple of months to see what may show up at that time. Thanks for all the info and replies. DC I may even try to find some 1875 Outlaws in 44/40 as well.

Archived