SASS Wire Forum

More on the Marine facing charges on having a hand gun in NYC

~ yeah yeah, this is the Wire Saloon and I know there will differing views...

but I say (per the story's content) that he should be given leniency and the charges dropped.

http://www.foxnews.c...stake-attorney/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Unfortunately, He will most likely have the book thrown at him. NYC has no respect for 2nd Amendment.

And in a way that is not dissimilar to the transgressions of the "Stupid, Stupid" thread

NYC laws are well known and the horrors of same are well documented for all to see. (I doubt that each Marine reads the UCMJ).

I am skeptical that the NYC courts will accept a, "I didn't know defense".

IIRC the NRA has a web page that tells about it.

but I say (per the story's content) that he should be given leniency and the charges dropped.

Why should he deserve special treatment? He probably knew it was illegal to be there with a handgun in the first place. Hate to see stuff like this happen, but laws are what they are, even tho we don't agree with them.

If he knew it was illegal I really doubt he would have tried to check it in with Security. Better to just keep it on his person and hope nobody saw it. Pretty sure the penalty would have been the same.

I don't know how anyone with a ccw permit could make the mistake. There's plenty of info available when you get your license in any state. Pretty big screw up. They'll probably go easy on him due to the adverse publicity that would be generated if they slammed him.

Wait and see I reckon.

Yup. Pretty big screw up.

I don't know how anyone with a ccw permit could make the mistake. There's plenty of info available when you get your license in any state. Pretty big screw up. They'll probably go easy on him due to the adverse publicity that would be generated if they slammed him.

Wait and see I reckon.

Don't bet the farm on it...

Why should he deserve special treatment? He probably knew it was illegal to be there with a handgun in the first place. Hate to see stuff like this happen, but laws are what they are, even tho we don't agree with them.

It's not special treatment - if the story is accurate it was a honest mistake - he checked in his firearm. All I hope is it works out him for the better...

- if the story is accurate it was a honest mistake - he checked in his firearm...

More like a stoopid mistake carrying it there in the first place, he should have known better.

Any updates on this as it happened in September?

More like a stoopid mistake carrying it there in the first place, he should have known better.

Any updates on this as it happened in September?

Whatever....even 'stoopid' gets a break in awhile....

The guy's not some gang banger or drug lord or a punk out to stick up a local bodega. This we know.

He is a Marine. Marines know that when they err they get to man up and accept the consequences of their error.

If I was prosecuting I recommend dismissal of the case upon forfeiture of the weapon, court costs, and a world class butt chewing. He appears to be an Active Duty Marine (although that might not be the case; the article is unclear on that). If he is Active Duty I would certainly do the above, secure in the knowledge that a second, and maybe even a third, world class butt chewing awaited him when he got back home. If he's not Active Duty I'd still do it, but probably add some community service to conditions of dismissal.

If he's Active Duty he could also well face disciplinary action upon return to his unit.

This guy doesn't deserve a criminal conviction for what he did. He does deserve to be hit (figuratively) between the eyes with a 2x4 so we get his attention and show him why he should not do this again.

SQQ

I've heard it said before.................................................

There's the U.S.A....................................

Then there Pres Bloomberg and the nation of NYC !! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Wait and see I reckon.

I'm with UB. You have to be pretty dense not to know what carry laws are in each state. They are readily available on the Internet. CA, IL, MA, CT, NJ, MD, DE, DC, and NY are notorious.for their intolerance. I would never carry there, but then again, I would not visit any of those areas except CA.

I'm with UB. You have to be pretty dense not to know what carry laws are in each state. They are readily available on the Internet. CA, IL, MA, CT, NJ, MD, DE, DC, and NY are notorious.for their intolerance. I would never carry there, but then again, I would not visit any of those areas except CA.

Yeah, how can you know... well, ANYTHING about guns and not know NYC is not gun-friendly?

First off, he's a FORMER Marine. He's been out for 6+ years. He is NOT in the Marines now!

He had a CCW. How in the heck could he NOT KNOW, NYC laws. :rolleyes:

He's going to pay a long hard price for STUPID on this.

Respectfully,

LG

Yeah, how can you know... well, ANYTHING about guns and not know NYC is not gun-friendly?

Yea, New York doesn't recognize any other state CCW permit. Also Upstate NY permit holders, are NOT ALLOWED to carry or posess a handgun in NYC or Long Island. We upstaters are only useful for our water and tax money. :angry:

it has been this way for a very long time when I was a kid in the 50s a friend of my Dad's ran afoul of the Sullivan Law as I think it was then called when a hotel maid found a pistol in his suitcase (what she was doing rummaging about in said suitcase was never explained) he was just spending the night his ship having just gotten in prior to taking a train to his home in the midwest somewhere and pistol had been a gift from a fellow professor in England.... (As best I can recall he lost the gun an got a whopping big fine of $500 as well as the expense of staying in NYC for 2 weeks while the whole mess was sorted out.

NYC has been gun unfriendly for a very long time.

It's not hard to figure out ;)

Tell me what ya figgered out then, if it was that easy. In fact what I understand and have respect for is my business. Show me where I stated I have no respet for any particular person or get off my back, How's that.

Tell me what ya figgered out then, if it was that easy. In fact what I understand and have respect for is my business. Show me where I stated I have no respet for any particular person or get off my back, How's that.

Toooooo easy ;) have a nice day....

No - it's something you wouldn't understand...because you don't have the respect for them.

Sorry I wore Army green and I feel that we were every bit as good

Sorry I wore Army green and I feel that we were every bit as good

Absolutely ;) All equal in this civilians eyes....now between y'all armed forces that's another matter :D

Biggest mistake he made was going to a shithole like new york. On the list to never visit along with

new jersey

california

illinois

washington dc

and the list is growing!

I've been to those places. They may have Draconian gun laws but I'd hardly call them sh**holes.

And the biggest mistake he made was in not knowing about those Draconian gun laws.

I can think of a couple of places overseas I've visited that were definitely in that category though.

Guy carries a piece in NYC and gets arrested when he hands to security. Was in the Marine Corps a few years back. Not much of a story.

If you find yourself there with a pistol, you'd better keep it hidden or ditch it; "forgot" or "didn't know"-- they've heard that before, I suspect.

I went back and read the entire article for the second time and nowhere does it say that Jerome had an Indiana concealed carry license. The last sentence of the second paragraph states that the gun was legally registered in his home state. That's it.

There are a great many people that never read a newspaper, magazine or watch TV news or listen to it on the radio. So it's possible that he is totally ignorant of any other state gun laws.

I have a Texas concealed handgun license and Texas has reciprocity with 38 other states. My wife has a sister that lives in Michigan and we travel there every couple years. Before I got my license I checked all the states I could travel through en route to see if they honored my license. Since Illinois doesn't honor any chl I avoid it and Ohio (which doesn't have reciprocity with Tx) like the plague. If my gun isn't welcome neither am I nor any money I might spend (gas, motel, food, sight seeing) along the way.

If you're going to carry a gun while travelling you sure better know the laws of the states you're travelling through.

I went back and read the entire article for the second time and nowhere does it say that Jerome had an Indiana concealed carry license. The last sentence of the second paragraph states that the gun was legally registered in his home state. That's it.

There are a great many people that never read a newspaper, magazine or watch TV news or listen to it on the radio. So it's possible that he is totally ignorant of any other state gun laws.

I have a Texas concealed handgun license and Texas has reciprocity with 38 other states. My wife has a sister that lives in Michigan and we travel there every couple years. Before I got my license I checked all the states I could travel through en route to see if they honored my license. Since Illinois doesn't honor any chl I avoid it and Ohio (which doesn't have reciprocity with Tx) like the plague. If my gun isn't welcome neither am I nor any money I might spend (gas, motel, food, sight seeing) along the way.

If you're going to carry a gun while travelling you sure better know the laws of the states you're travelling through.

Hey, you can hang out in my cave. At least until these places allow us to carry and Nevada becomes ocean front property!

I for one hope the charges are dropped and he takes it all the way to the supreme court where that make a ruling that according to the 2nd amendment all citizens have the right to carry anywhere any time.

If this man got arrested for standing on the corner telling everyone wall street needs to be shut down there would be 50 different groups yelling they violated his 1stway amendment rights. Instead he is getting slammed and called stupid. I think he deserves a little more support than he's getting.

Archived