SASS Wire Forum

Think you're cold?

Utah Bob #35998

I was listing a pair of WWII issue ski goggles from my collection on Ebay and looked around to see if I could find a pic of come troops wearing them back in the day. These two sites might be interesting for you history buffs.

How'd you like to be training to deploy to Norway. No fancy goretex snow suits and modern lightweight equipment.

99th Infantry Battalion (Separate)

1st Special Service Force

And a pic of my A team training in New Hampshire 20 years later. (still using some of the crappy equipment) :lol:

Oops

It's snowing here now. I'm havin flashbacks. :unsure::lol:

I was listing a pair of WWII issue ski goggles from my collection on Ebay and looked around to see if I could find a pic of come troops wearing them back in the day. These two sites might be interesting for you history buffs.

How'd you like to be training to deploy to Norway. No fancy goretex snow suits and modern lightweight equipment.

99th Infantry Battalion (Separate)

1st Special Service Force

And a pic of my A team training in New Hampshire 20 years later. (still using some of the crappy equipment) :lol:

Oops

It's snowing here now. I'm havin flashbacks. :unsure::lol:

The weasel in the swamp did it for me.. lol.. I am heading to the pellet stove to heat myself back up.. lol.. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr cool ski photo too...

My memory fails me on occasion, but I recall these old nights very vividly. It got down to -24 degrees Fahrenheit and there was about ten inches of snow on the ground. It gave me an new understanding of cold.

Operation Winter Shield:

All Division units participated in FTX "Winter Shield," Seventh Army's annual winter maneuver staged in the vicinity of Grafenwoehr during February 1960. It was the high point of winter training for Spearheaders and involved 60,000 men, drawn from V and VII Corps, and the Bundeswehr. It marked the first time that major units of the new German Army participated with the United States ground forces in a field exercise. "Winter Shield" was a test of combat readiness and provided realistic training under simulated combat conditions, with emphasis on the role of the individual soldier and small-unit leader. Maneuver with advanced weapons in all types of heliborne operations was also practiced. Action consisted of a series of attack, withdrawal, and counter-attack operations. The results, every participating unit benefited from the exercise.

Amundsen and his men also didn't have it so easy, but got the job done...

http://www.coolantarctica.com/images/amundsen_dogs_pole.jpg

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My memory fails me on occasion, but I recall these old nights very vividly. It got down to -24 degrees Fahrenheit and there was about ten inches of snow on the ground. It gave me an new understanding of cold.

Operation Winter Shield:

All Division units participated in FTX "Winter Shield," Seventh Army's annual winter maneuver staged in the vicinity of Grafenwoehr during February 1960. It was the high point of winter training for Spearheaders and involved 60,000 men, drawn from V and VII Corps, and the Bundeswehr. It marked the first time that major units of the new German Army participated with the United States ground forces in a field exercise. "Winter Shield" was a test of combat readiness and provided realistic training under simulated combat conditions, with emphasis on the role of the individual soldier and small-unit leader. Maneuver with advanced weapons in all types of heliborne operations was also practiced. Action consisted of a series of attack, withdrawal, and counter-attack operations. The results, every participating unit benefited from the exercise.

I got to play in the same named operation in 1962. The canals had frozen so there was no soft coal coming in from East Germany and people were freezing in their homes. The ground froze almost 2 meters deep in the little village of Trunstadt. We pulled into our first firing position in 28 inches of snow. Yeah, it was cold.

My first real experience as a new 2nd Lt as Headquarters Battery XO of a Lacrosse Missle Battalion. I was in the last vehicle into the area. I couldn't find any of my troops. Finally found my tent with the Capt and 1st Sgt comfortably sipping cognac. I whined around about worrying about the troops until the Capt told me to get out and check on them. I did. Couldn't find anyone. Finally saw a glimmer of light and discovered that the "troops" had taken the bows and canvas off of the deuce and a halfs and had made a hooch large enough to have all of the battery enclosed. They had beer, cognac, wurst, bread and butter and where they carried them I don't know but everyone had a cot. When I stuck my head in the Staff Sgt lifted his head from the card game, looked at me with no interest and asked politely, "What can we do for you, Sir". I replied, "Nothing Sgt, just wanted to make sure every one was OK." "We're fine, Sir." he said as I closed the tent and when back to my area.

After that I checked on the "troops" by saying "Is everyone comfortable and warm?" to the 1st Sgt. When he assured me they were I crawled into my tent and enjoyed the evening.

I got to play in the same named operation in 1962. The canals had frozen so there was no soft coal coming in from East Germany and people were freezing in their homes. The ground froze almost 2 meters deep in the little village of Trunstadt. We pulled into our first firing position in 28 inches of snow. Yeah, it was cold.

My first real experience as a new 2nd Lt as Headquarters Battery XO of a Lacrosse Missle Battalion. I was in the last vehicle into the area. I couldn't find any of my troops. Finally found my tent with the Capt and 1st Sgt comfortably sipping cognac. I whined around about worrying about the troops until the Capt told me to get out and check on them. I did. Couldn't find anyone. Finally saw a glimmer of light and discovered that the "troops" had taken the bows and canvas off of the deuce and a halfs and had made a hooch large enough to have all of the battery enclosed. They had beer, cognac, wurst, bread and butter and where they carried them I don't know but everyone had a cot. When I stuck my head in the Staff Sgt lifted his head from the card game, looked at me with no interest and asked politely, "What can we do for you, Sir". I replied, "Nothing Sgt, just wanted to make sure every one was OK." "We're fine, Sir." he said as I closed the tent and when back to my area.

After that I checked on the "troops" by saying "Is everyone comfortable and warm?" to the 1st Sgt. When he assured me they were I crawled into my tent and enjoyed the evening.

This made me chuckle. The "troops" I had the pleasure of serving with were equally as resourceful. I remember having to railhead our tanks to go to Graf for qualification gunnery. It wasn't "really" cold (around 35 or so), but riding in the tank, spitting rain/snow, for 2 hours with your upper body outside the turrent during the road march wasn't much fun. At least until I saw what the other tank commanders (SSG's and SFC's) were doing. They'd taken those gigantic map cases, taken the maps out and put them over themselves like a giant "bubble." All the while, they were holding the hoses up inside from the gas system (which was supposed to provide fresh air to your gas mask), with the heater option turned on. Of course, the map cases were turned so as to be aerodynamic :) and properly tied down or otherwise secured. It became known as "the boy in the plastic bubble" among the troops. :)

Chick

Grafenwoehr and Hohenfels were both interesting places. We never left Gersthofen without a supply of hard rolls, and sausage. We would pick up an allocation of schnapps and cognac somewhere along the way. One of the best drinks I ever had was sitting in the back of a deuce and a half passing a bottle of

cherry brandy around while awaiting a crossing of the Danube river at midnight.

Capt and 1st Sgt comfortably sipping cognac

Been there. Sipped that. :lol:

We got to do a February rotation through Hohenfehls. Being an attack helicopter unit we landed in the designated field outside the base limits. Kids being kids, we attracted a crowd in a hurry. We started trading MREs with them and made arrangements for fresh eggs, ham, cheese, juice, milk, bacon, vegetables, and brotchen to be delivered every day. :rolleyes:

The mess sergeant kept getting ticked because we'd send back the slop every day uneaten. The battalion CO came by one evening to "check on us" and found dinner being cooked over squat stoves in the GP tents. He sat and enjoyed with us. Those were good times for sure. :FlagAm:

All of my infantry friends had told me how tough it was to be out with the "troops" in cold weather.

As an Artillery officer, my tent was set up, stove was lit, sleeping bag rolled out, hot water on the stove when I rolled into a battery area. Dinner was served with napkins. we did have to furnish our own wine and cognac. Our Mess Sgts were very proud of the way they took care of their officers.

The same Mess Sgts would scrounge, in ways unknown to the officer corps, so that when the infantry was eating beeny weineys, we were eating baked potatoes and t-bone steaks.

My first day in the unit, my first assignment, I was given a small field table in the 1st Sgts office. After a few hours the 1st Sgt came over to my desk, hit a brace, and asked permission to speak. I was scared to death of him(all 5'6" of him)so I said of course.

He said. "Sir I think you have potential. If you will let me, I can make an Officer out of you". I agreed. the best thing I did in the Army.He taught me more of the protocol of daily life in the Army than any one else. Told me which Sgts I could let run and which ones I had to help.

Clued me into the idea that you; picked your people, told them what you wanted, told them when it had to be done. Then you told them you would be in your office if they needed anything they couldn't get for them selves. Produced a harmonious out come.

Our Artillery units in Germany dressed like we were going on parade, trained like we were going to war and were proud of our skills and appearance.

Good Times.

I also learned I had an amazing capacity for alcohol.

One day of drinking like we did then would now, kill me.

They didn't call it the Cold War for nothin. :lol:

And the Infantry likes beanie weenies. As an entree, they are filling and versatile.

They contain two of the 4 essential Infantry food groups.

Coffee

Sugar

Beans

Some kind of meat

:lol:

That is cold, Blackfoot. Once it gets below zero, cold is cold.

I will say this, the Army fed us well. We had hot chow everytime they could call a halt long enough to set up the chow line. I recall one time I came in off of a patrol and had not had much to eat for the day. I was so hungry in the cold that I would have eaten shoe leather. The cooks were breaking down the chow line All they had left was some liver, bread and coffee for the NCO's. NCOs can not survive without coffee.

I ate two samishes. I never complained at all. They were gone in two minutes. Have not had liver since. :lol:

UI was fortunate. I never had Cold Weather Gear issued to me.... I was always in Temperate or Tropical regions for all my duty assignments....

The 1st Special Service Force trained right here in the Helena area at Fort Harrison and Camp Rimini up on the Continental Divide. Camp Rimini, or Camp A-76, has been used by the Boy Scouts for decades as a Winter Jamboree camp.

UB got to go play with the little brown brothers in the land of the triangle shaped doorknobs. He didn't need cold weather gear there but I think I heard him say he also got to play around Bad Tolz in Germany. He would need it there.

I thot all them special forces cats only trained inside the barracks. Huh!

Hey, Utah, did you ever train in the field?

Nah. Did it all on the Internet from the bar. :lol: :lol:

1968 Internet Cafe

The 1st Special Service Force trained right here in the Helena area at Fort Harrison and Camp Rimini up on the Continental Divide. Camp Rimini, or Camp A-76, has been used by the Boy Scouts for decades as a Winter Jamboree camp.

Never understood why they filmed The Devil's Brigade down in Utah instead of Montana.

No wait...yes I do. :lol:

Noz said:

"As an Artillery officer, my tent was set up, stove was lit, sleeping bag rolled out, hot water on the stove when I rolled into a battery area. Dinner was served with napkins. we did have to furnish our own wine and cognac. Our Mess Sgts were very proud of the way they took care of their officers.

The same Mess Sgts would scrounge, in ways unknown to the officer corps, so that when the infantry was eating beeny weineys, we were eating baked potatoes and t-bone steaks."

"The Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."

I know that the coldest I have been was in Korea. I have rolled out a sleeping bag in the snow when it was 45 below.

Blackfoot

Been there & done that Blackfoot.

Noz said:

"As an Artillery officer, my tent was set up, stove was lit, sleeping bag rolled out, hot water on the stove when I rolled into a battery area. Dinner was served with napkins. we did have to furnish our own wine and cognac. Our Mess Sgts were very proud of the way they took care of their officers.

The same Mess Sgts would scrounge, in ways unknown to the officer corps, so that when the infantry was eating beeny weineys, we were eating baked potatoes and t-bone steaks."

"The Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."

Absolutely!

Archived