SASS Wire Forum

.38 Wadcutters in a Vaquero

Ben Bitten

I'm planning on hitting the range next week, and swung by my local gun shop to pick up some ammo the other day... he was out of cowboy loads (been shooting Magtech lately). All he had in .38 lead were wadcutters (148 grain). Oddly it was at that very moment I realized I had never fired a wadcutter in my life. ...A rather random realization, but it was part of what lead me to turn down the purchase. But after leaving the shop I got to thinking: I was going to be shooting my six guns - so OAL isn't really an issue. So, theoretically a wadcutter should be just fine in my Vaqueros. However, having never fired a wadcutter in my life I thought I'd run this past my pards on the wire.

If you were going to the range to punch paper would you run wadcutters through your Vaquero?

They're a nice light load. Factory 148 WC should give you 600-650 fps. When I shot Bullseye for the National Guard, I shot them in a S&W Mod 14, and in a S&W Mod 52 auto. Very accurate. I used them to introduce my nephews to 38 sp.

I'm planning on hitting the range next week, and swung by my local gun shop to pick up some ammo the other day... he was out of cowboy loads (been shooting Magtech lately). All he had in .38 lead were wadcutters (148 grain). Oddly it was at that very moment I realized I had never fired a wadcutter in my life. ...A rather random realization, but it was part of what lead me to turn down the purchase. But after leaving the shop I got to thinking: I was going to be shooting my six guns - so OAL isn't really an issue. So, theoretically a wadcutter should be just fine in my Vaqueros. However, having never fired a wadcutter in my life I thought I'd run this past my pards on the wire.

If you were going to the range to punch paper would you run wadcutters through your Vaquero?

Anytime - they make accurate loads, which in turn will help you see if you're doing your part.

You can compete with them as well as long as you watch your COL, Page 11 of the Rule book

states -• Ammunition with bullets recessed below the case mouth is disallowed.

Other than that a 148 WC loaded to any reasonable velocity should be a great shooter in a handgun!

SC

Much obliged, pards! He's got Sunday hours so I'll swing by and pick up a few boxes. :D

Just another bullet. Specifically designed to cut nice round holes so Bullseye shooters could accurately score their targets. Shot a bazillion as an instructor in the military. Usually a nice mild load and if swaged hollow base they work very well in a 375 (conversion) bore.

Fire Away. 'specially if there cheap

Coffinmaker

As long as it's 38 special your good to go! Lighter grain bullets

(96gr-105-125-130-146-148-158-160) all work fine and I think

you'll notice the recoil is lighter with the lighter bullets. Check for lower prices

and I think you'll be better off then going for "cowboy loads". Look

for reloads for reputable companies there normally a lot cheaper.

Free advise, welcome!

QDG :)

some trivia since it is the middle of the nite and I am wide awake.

In the old days before the unlimited choices in hollow point bullets reloaders would load the hollow base wadcutters in the case backwards. A cheap man's hollow point.

I used to think a 148 grain wadcutter was a light .38 Special load.

Then I started shooting cowboy where some folks shoot lite-light.

My only comment to the OP is that you might experience a bit more leading with the wadcutter loads, especially if the bullets are swaged instead of hard cast. Nothing you can't clean out of course.

In the old days before the unlimited choices in hollow point bullets reloaders would load the hollow base wadcutters in the case backwards. A cheap man's hollow point.

I've done that with a stout load of Bullseye. We shot them into ballistic gel. They didn't all open up, but when they did, it was impressive. Wouldn't want to get it with one.

Archived