SASS Wire Forum

CSS Hunley Exposed

Subdeacon Joe

http://news.yahoo.com/complete-civil-war-submarine-unveiled-first-time-004714070.html

NORTH CHARLESTON, South Carolina (Reuters) - Confederate Civil War vessel H.L. Hunley, the world's first successful combat submarine when it sank a Union ship in 1864, was unveiled in full and unobstructed for the first time on Thursday, capping a decade of careful preservation.

"No one alive has ever seen the Hunley complete. We're going to see it today," said engineer John King as a crane at a Charleston conservation laboratory slowly lifted a massive steel truss covering the top of the submarine.

About 20 engineers and scientists applauded as they caught the first glimpse of the intact 42-foot-long narrow iron cylinder, which was raised from the ocean floor near Charleston more than a decade ago. The public will see the same view but in a water tank to keep it from rusting.

"It's like looking at the sub for the first time. It's like the end of a long night," said Paul Mardikian, senior conservator since 1999 of the project to raise, excavate and conserve the Hunley.

It amazes me that they were able to get a third crew to go into her. Heck, I've seen the full sized model of her...it is amazing that they could get anyone to go into her at all.

Much Obliged>>I was always interested in the story..........just did'nt know what happened.....thought it sank with all hands....maybe some leak after their mission ......Gallant and brave men who went above what a regular guy would have tried to do...great story...thanks.........Tuco.(non navy guy)...."If I can't see the other side I ain't goin".

I can't imagine anyone willingly going anywhere in something like that, especially after the first two crews died in it.

Hell, I can't imagine willingly getting in a modern one, either.

Volunteered for them when I was in the Navy. Turned down for wearing glasses. Went on board one in the Vallejo shipyard later. Glad I was rejected. :ph34r: No room in that thing and I am a little guy. Well, short guy anyway. :lol:

I can't imagine anyone willingly going anywhere in something like that, especially after the first two crews died in it.

Hell, I can't imagine willingly getting in a modern one, either.

Forty, The food is good and you get extra pay. Also you get that neat woolen jumper to wear.

I had a hankerin to be a submariner but the navy recruiting office was closed for lunch so my buddy and I went next door to the Army. :lol:

True story.

I saw the Hunley just after they opened her up. The third crew were young men who believed in their cause and wanted to make a differance. Charlston was under seige, the war was all but lost and the only chance for the South was to break the blockade. You can argur that even success would not have made a differance and you would be right. But they were true patriots for a cause, willing to give their life for a chance, any chance. Call them fools, call them irrational, call them young and irresponsible but you can't call them cowards. The first "Successful" submarine killed more Confederates than it did Yankees (Onlu five were lost on the Housatonic)but ledgends and history were made.

Bugs

I did the submarine thing for 3 years. Good food, great friends, interesting work, lots of interesting smells... The Hunley would need a braver man than me!

- Visalia Jake

STS/SS

USS Sargo SSN-583

1980-83

Forty, The food is good and you get extra pay. Also you get that neat woolen jumper to wear.

All Navy food is good, I don't need the extra pay, I got a jumper or two, and I'd rather cut my leg off with a wooden spoon that get on any boat that sinks on purpose and is designed to induce claustrophobia.

If something goes wrong where can you walk to for help?

I visited both the USS The Sullivans and the USS Salt Lake City (distroyer and Guided Missel cruser) in Buffalo NY and am glad that when I visited the Navy recruiter in 1966 the only school he could offer me was medics. I ended up in the Air Force. I cannot imagine being locked in a steel room inside a ship with a battle going on and no way of seeing what was happening. I could manage being on deck and I've never been seasick but clostrophbic, I guess so. All the old WW2 footage I've seen was shot drom the deck. Guns hammering away at Japanese planes or launching depth charges or hedgehogs. The guys locked in the bowels of the ship with guns hammering away, bombs landing and planes crashing into the ship didn't get much footage and to me those were the real heros. That would scare the living snot out of me.

Bugs

Archived