SASS Wire Forum

Beware the old codgers

Subdeacon Joe

“The 82-year-old resident did something that the criminal justice system couldn’t do,” said Mike Chitwood, the chief of Daytona Beach police. “And that’s put this burglar out of business this morning.”

The 82-year-old homeowner woke up at 6 a.m. after hearing someone at his backdoor, the report said. He armed himself with a .45 automatic and fired a single shot through the door, the report said. The suspected burglar was hit in the abdomen and likely died minutes later.

Fired through the door and Chief Chitwood says it's a good shoot.

Police: Why did you shoot through the door at 6am, you could've killed one of your family or a friend?

82 year old: None of my family or friends would try to kick in my door at 6am!

Good shoot

Just sayin'....

Safe trails,

CKid

The Chief mentioned was chief of our biggest city in Maine and a former Philly PD member.

Only Chief we ever heard of that was an anti-gun nut.

He made almost impossiable for a person to get a carry gun in that city.

So I would not believe anything he would say :angry:

Police: Why did you shoot through the door at 6am, you could've killed one of your family or a friend?

82 year old: None of my family or friends would try to kick in my door at 6am!

Good shoot

Just sayin'....

Safe trails,

CKid

Pretty easy to miss a target you can't see, and that bullet is going somewhere.

Just sayin' :lol:

Story don't say nothin' 'bout "tryin' to kick in the door". Story says "woke up at 6 a.m. after hearing someone at his backdoor".

The man is exceedingly lucky IF this does turn out to be the wanted burglar.

Florida lets you do a lot of stuff - self defense wise.

If you're in my house, I can kill you. No question.

If I'm walking down the street and you jump out at me, I can kill you. No question.

But I am unaware of any law that lets us shoot through a door to hit someone outside the house. The whole "I can kill you, no question" thing is based on "I am in fear for my life". As long as you are outside and I am inside, I don't see how I can, legally, be scared. Once you're inside, yes, but outside? I don't think so.

So, Jacknife, no, he was not supposed to open the door and invite him in. He was supposed to wait until the bad guy opened it and invited himself in. Then he could shoot.

As long as you are outside and I am inside, I don't see how I can, legally, be scared.

What is the difference in being "legally" scared, and just plain scared? Or is it illegal, not to be scared?

:lol:

So the bad guy opens the door and starts spraying with a shotgun before ya can shoot? Not in Texas anyway.

Don't mess with old folks. They are too tired to argue and will just kill you.

I agree. My kind of guy...gets wakened at 6:00 a.m., shoots the guy, and goes back to bed. Like Badger says, you don't mess with that kind of guy. :)

Tell ya one dadburn thing...............

You wake ME up at 6 am and I'm gonna shoot ya too ! ;)B)

I live in the town where this happened. If you watch the local news, you will see that zombies have been kicking in doors and blasting homeowners as soon as they gain entry. I answer the door cocked and locked every time. I will shoot you any time of day if you kick my door. I have a remote camera hooked up to an old portable TV that I can't use anymore. So I can see who or what is at my door without opening it. :angry::ph34r:

Old Man 1

Zombies 0

I think I'll look up the old man an buy him a drink, and maybe a box of ammo too.

Pretty easy to miss a target you can't see, and that bullet is going somewhere.

Just sayin' :lol:

But he didn't miss.

City folk :(

The best part of the day is before 6am.

After learning what the bad guys are in a habit of doing in that area I would have greeted the door with a double barrel full of buck.

The only really bad part besides having to live with killing a criminal is now he has to get a new door.

I applaud him for defending himself in a tough situation. We can second guess the situation all day but until we are in his shoes we really shouldn't judge. Just my thoughts.

It is sad about how much Internet crap and misunderstanding on the SASS about the legal requirements for use of deadly force. I doubt very few pards can identify the three elements required when using deadly force.

That's what my wife tells me. :lol:

Man hears something at his door at 6am.

Shoot paperboy. <_<

One thing every comment here is missing !

One dead man .

He probably is going to git in some trouble for shooting threw the door .

I feel sorry for the shooter because he has to live with the fact he took a life .

We all talk tough ,But that has to sit on your conscious.

Justified or not this will cost the home owner some money and a loss of his firearm .

I am Praying for him. :unsure:

I don't think I'd shoot through the door. In that community if you don't hit him you're like to hit a neighbors house and maybe a neighbor. Where I am I wouldn't take out anything but it might be someone coming tocheckon me. I'd wait for the perp to do some damage nad open the door.

Archived